86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clutch must touch floor to engage reverse

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 10:50 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Clutch must touch floor to engage reverse

Greetings one an all. I'm here having gears issues hoping to get some help. Here it goes. One year ago I replaced my clutch, due to spots on the fly wheel , which was causing loss in speed. I replaced with the clutch kit,pressure plate, pilot bearing and the machine shop for the fly wheel.While I was at it I changed the clutch master an slave cylinder. It ran well until I took it for a 1000 mile run over the weekend from Memphis TN to Ny city, by the way it's a 91 toy😂😂😂😂 Now, this is where it went crazy, and where I'm at right now. Since I've replaced the clutch, I have always engaged the clutch half way when changing gears, and Not fully into the Floorboard in order for me to change .While 100 miles into my journey I realized the gear grinding while reversing. During the duration of my trip it continued. Here is where it went crazy, my gears was starting to get difficult to shift especially in 1st where I had to force it.
I had no choice but to adjust the clutch pedal all the way out in order to change somehow smoothly. Now depressing the clutch all the way to the floorboard, in order to change gears. Since here in the city, which is expensive, I've replaced the master cylinder and have bled the clutch, hoping there was air in the line, because I was afraid to think it would be the clutch.which happened to have the same pressure as before when it comes to engaging the clutch I did all the labor which was the joy of the whole job, initially changing the clutch a year ago. the sad part is not going in again, the Saddest part was not buying a quality clutch.i bought it from autozone due to financial difficulties at that time. I am assuming it's the clutch only because I went to Aamco for free diagnosis an was told it would run me $$$1200 to repair which I find to be Pricy. Any idea what is causing the issue. Thanks
Old 09-12-2017, 11:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a similar issue

Bleed the clutch using the C Clamp block method - that helps a bunch

Still - my clutch pedal is set with very little free play and I have to go all the way to the floor
It sort of feels like the clutch master (or slave) has a "too small piston" and it cant move enough fluid to push the throw out arm....
Old 09-12-2017, 11:59 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Is your clutch well rested?
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...fatigue-32667/
Old 09-12-2017, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
For some time now I also noticed squeaking every time I depressed the clutch. Normally the clutch would have to be depressed by "feet in order to start,that bracket supporting the switch was so bent I had to press it manually while turning the key in order for it to start. Because every time I depressed, it didn't touch it all, it missed so it didn't start.
might that be part of the problem? Thanks scope for that thread I'll continue reading thanks. Thanks
Old 09-13-2017, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Diego toyota
For some time now I also noticed squeaking every time I depressed the clutch. Normally the clutch would have to be depressed by "feet in order to start,that bracket supporting the switch was so bent I had to press it manually while turning the key in order for it to start. Because every time I depressed, it didn't touch it all, it missed so it didn't start.
might that be part of the problem? Thanks scope for that thread I'll continue reading thanks. Thanks
I took down the clutch bracket plate this morning, only the clutch start switch bracket was bent, to where it wasn't connecting, I had to press the switch manually in order to start. No other cracks on the plate itself. Going to the machine shop to get it braced.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Diego toyota
I took down the clutch bracket plate this morning, only the clutch start switch bracket was bent, to where it wasn't connecting, I had to press the switch manually in order to start. No other cracks on the plate itself. Going to the machine shop to get it braced.
Scope, thanks again for the info. I got the clutch pedal brace unforced slapped it back in, an looking forward to my journey. You save me lots of $$$$ expecially being here in NY. When I went to Aamco the told me it was the clutch an would cost me 1200+$$$. Thanks again yota world!✈️✈️✈️✈️