86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

93 Toyota Pickup Running Rough under load

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 93 Toyota Pickup Running Rough under load

Hey everyone. Tried searching around the forum for the answer to my problem, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Here's the deal:

93 Toyota Pickup
22-RE 4 cyl
Check engine light is not on

A few days ago I decided to fix my surging idle problem that's been ongoing for a while now when the truck is warmed up. I read that if you adjust your idle and bring it down some, this can fix the problem. So, I did this and it seemed to work.

A day or so later, I started experiencing my truck driving really rough when the gas is pressed and the truck is accelerating. It only runs rough(truck shakes really bad) when I have the gas pressed down, and it seems to have no power.

I thought maybe me adjusting the idle caused this, so I set my idle back to what is was before. This didn't solve the problem. I did some more digging and read that my throttle position sensor could be a problem as well. I unplugged the TPS and tried driving it, it still drives the same way.

I am unsure whether what I did to adjust the idle caused my current problem or if it's a coincidence that something else broke around the same time I was having my idle issues.

If anyone can give me some info on this I would really appreciate it.

Thank you
Old 05-07-2013, 02:33 PM

I have found that many issues with rough idling are generally an indicator of something else, that in many cases are a simple fix... Check the af... check the afm...Check all vac hoses for cracks and correct fitment... Check intake elbow for splits or cracks... Check spark plugs, and wires, as well as the distributor cap and rotor button... Another possiblility is is the iacv located under the tb... It could possibly be sticking and is thermo controlled... another area to check is the injectors themselves... check the injector ground wire for good contact... and also the fuel filter.... It's along laundry list to go through, but it will probably be one of the more simple of the list in most cases... Such as an air leak, or plugs/wires , even an air filter...
Old 05-07-2013, 03:14 PM

On mine 2 cracked spark plugs made it shake just the way you describe.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:25 PM

Yea, I'd check plugs first. Under no or light load the inertia of the engine will keep it going fairly regularly. But when you put it under load you're going to see that you just don't have any power to keep it spinning. You're missing fuel, air or spark to some degree and spark is just the more likely culprit.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:37 AM

Thanks. I'll check all that out. One thing I noticed this morning is that the temperature seems to go up a little when I have the gas down and the temp goes back down when I let off the gas. There isn't much temp fluctuation, but it is a little noticeable when I look at my temp gauge.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:22 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
The last two or three threads with this issue were damaged intake tubes between the throttle body and the air flow meter. What happens is once the engine starts to shake a little the accordian hose opens up, more shaking/vibration makes more leakage, it's a self reinforcing problem.

Broken spark plugs or other loose bits in the ignition system are a similar problem the more it shakes the connections open up.

Along with the obvious bits mentioned it might be a good idea to make sure your motor mounts aren't damaged, bad rubber here will make all of the above worse.

For the original surge issue, you were probably on the right track. It's an easy check to see if the fuel cut off is being triggered. This usually happens when the brakes are applied and the engine rpm fluctuates between about 8-900 and 12-1300.