Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

93' 22re guidance needed

Old 04-30-2009, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93' 22re guidance needed

hello again guys, i need advice on my 93 4x4
again. my truck had head gasket issues a month back and i let the neighbor do the repair as some of you know im very sight impaired now from my tractor wreck but anyway the guy seems well qualified as he races , has nice clean well equipped shop and
has always been honorable so i not want to down his work in any way but i need to find whats wrong with my truck and if was something related to last repair to be discuss it with the mechanic

originally truck began stumbling at startup and losing collant with no leak. head gasket had bailed,

i did not drive truck after the first sign of head gasket issue and the oil did not even milk shake.

replaced head gasket set, head bolt set, water pump , timing set all hoses , all belts cap plugs and button
and napa did the head which needed valve job because i had neglected an exaust leak from a cracked exaust tube from manifold too long plus truck had 230k so valve job was a no brainer and surely needed

truck was sweet when she came home and no exaust noises either as my neighbor welded up the pipe.

about a week or so after i got it back it began surging a small bit at low speed and lower rpms in 1st and second but would smooth out as you increased speed.

now it has gotten to where in top gears its sluggish and will not increase speed.

i know its slow becuase of tall heavy tires and 4 cyl. but i been in this old girl forever and its lacking seroius power.

i need ideas on what to ask this mechanic and how to ask him. im also smelling something like hot paint from fender well
after longer drives but im guessing its paint on new water pump.

all guages read normal , its iding pretty good if a bit fast but i can pull out on accelerator pedal and it will slow down to about 1k.

so i dunno what else to say other than im all worried about my truck having major issue

any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated. johnny
Old 04-30-2009, 12:42 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Sounds like the engine is leaning out and running hot. Paint doesn't bake off the water pump. Was the engine timed correctly?
Old 04-30-2009, 01:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yep, sounds like the timing is off. The bad thing is, to really check that, you need to take the timing cover back off and make sure the internals are correctly aligned and not off a tooth. Then put it all back together, set the idle speed then set the correct timing at 5 degrees Only way to make sure it’s right.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:21 PM

i hope he timed and torqued it all correctly. i dunno if he did so, another mechanical skilled friend (not a yota mechanic) says it sounds intake manifold leak to him.

the neighbor car mechanic is not a yota mechanic either but does a lot of work on many different type of auto/truck even buses . he did large amount of work at what i think is fair knowing im hurt and have very little funds now(450) then was 450 for parts and services on head. so 900 is not bad but now i dunno, if its not done right or even how to check it.

i want to keep this truck as i really do think it will outlive me and i sure dont see any truck i like better

so what do you guys think i should do next?
Old 04-30-2009, 04:16 PM

well he was very agreeable , and told me to bring it over monday.

he is saying he doubts its timing more like stopped up catalytic converter. i now know they just put it back together as i asked if he needed me to bring my yota manual hmm! uh-oh now i do bet its timing , as truck has low power but sure is quiet and idling so nicely

i seriously doubt emissions testing will ever come here but can the cat be cut out and re-piped if need be?

he also said a wear part we not replace was the t-stat and thats true. no-one here in backwoods usa had one in stock at the time of repair

how do i check if all is well with radiator before i take it over there? is it something i can see with rad cap off?

i really would like to rule out as many things as possible before i go over there to see if they are trying to hustle me or get me for more froghides which if its legit i have no problems with but i dont want to pay double either

thanks brothers, johnny