Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

92 TOY's 22re / crapped out / gotta start somewhere / thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 04:19 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
PUMPKINYOTA...

OK....read your posts again. Thanks for all the kind words.

Several times, including currently, I've thought to myself "what have I gotten into?"

1 year ago, I never would have imagined unbolting anything on my engine let alone doing a partial rebuild as I've started. Ive argued the point of pulling the engine and frankly THAT doesn't scare me as much as snapping bolts does. In fact, that (snapped bolts) is what made me stop currently...when I snapped 4 bolts for the sway bar. To me it seems like I keep making this a larger disaster than it had to be.

I understand all the common sense advice as well as the truly professional advice everyone has given to me during this endeavor. It's all very much appreciated and welcomed.

This while while I've fallen into the "1 step forward, 2 steps back" routine. And the 2 steps back are big ones and humiliating and disgusting at best.

Heres my grand plan......Income tax time is soon......hopefully will have some extra $$$ to spend my estimated $300 to button this up....sell my car (the Cadillac) and use the $$$ from that to tear down my son's truck to do his headgaskets and get that truck up and running reliably.....in the long run I want to use his truck as a daily driver since, with 2 kids, it's not safe for me to stuff them in my truck. After that, I'm hoping the 88 4runner is a reliable ride and the money truck will make a deposit at my house and we can make my truck into a MORE reliable ride....IE: pull the engine etc etc etc / headers / etc etc etc....the underbody rust makes it have a questionable life expectancy anyway, although the interior is cherry and the body is "good".

So here's to hoping that within the next month, things get back on track, lots of financial badness happening right now for us so again as far as priorities go, I'm happy to have a vehicle that runs (the Caddy).

As far as my son(s) go.........THANK-YOU SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH for saying what you said.......I have no mechanical experience and everything I do is a first for me. Most of the time it's very hard to put on a confident front for my boys when doing this stuff that I have little clue about. It will get done, whether it be my truck or his truck. Not as fast as he or I would like (or the YOTATECH crew) but it will get done. I never quit / never give up.....I get stopped in my tracks and have to re-group and re-prioritize but that's about it.

Again, thanks to YOU for checking in and contributing. This may be the slowest rebild ever, but like I've said before, this is for all the newbies and people out there that think that they have to have everyone else do stuff for them because they have "no clue" what they are doing........"How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time."

Last edited by 92 TOY; 01-19-2010 at 04:22 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:15 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

92 you got a good build here and you'll be happy when you get done. Even more happy being that "you" did it and not have someone else do it.

As for the slow build...I think were in a race for the slowest rebuild. Were in the same boat here. I have $$$ going elsewhere. Gotta keep the house in order and Kids always need something.

I was hoping for a locker with the return but I don't think it will happen this year. I'm just hoping I can get it running.

I give you a ton of credit and all the folks that have never really turned a wrench. It can be scary when you really have not messed with these before. Heck I'm scared to do the heads on my 3.0.

Keep up the good work!!!!

When we both have ours runnin we'll have to meet up half way some time. Maybe somewhere around Lewisburg or State Collage.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:46 AM

I'm planing on keeping this thread on the radar.....over 12,000 views..YIKES....probably of those 12,000+ only about 5 people actually sacrificed 10 hours of their lives to actually read it. But from the little mentions I see here and there , there must be some useful info in here.

Anyhoo....yeah, I hate to sing the blues about money......I know I've said it several times in this thread , but really, who doesn't have it tough nowadays? I'm glad we still have our jobs and the luxury of having vehicles to wrench on and complain about while still driving our other vehicles.(and I'm saying that from my persective but I know you are the same)........all in due time, it will come. Patience is a vitue so I have to be virtuous.

On a side note, it was my son's 14th b-day yesterday, so now he's even closer to driving his truck. Got him a nice Kenwood stereo to finish off the restoration of the interior.....that about does it....not too bad for novices, I think.

Rausch Creek....hell or high water, this summer. I told my brother-in-law last night we need to do that to be men again (he has 4runner as well....98???) and I told him there were several of us in the state who would like to meet up someday. No crazy-ass rock crawling or anything like that.....just some puddle splashing and stuff.....I'm gonna bump THAT thread, so watch for it.....

I would love if we had the 88 4runner up and running by then, but if not, then other arrangements would be made.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:25 AM

Ya as much as I see things we don't have and things we need the lil lady tells me well at least we have this an that...most don't. And yes as much as I hate having the runner sit it's a good thing we have others to drive and were not totally stuck.

So I guess it's like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ

Old 01-19-2010, 08:46 AM

Monty Python is awesome!!!!
Old 01-19-2010, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a good plan!

Not to be the squeaky wheel, but you still might want to do the actual motor pull ASAP. This will allow you to clean and re-oil all the bottom end of that motor, especially important since it has had water all though it. Anything other than some mild surface rust spotting starts in there, and you're boned. Like I said earlier, you are only about 12 tranny bolts and 4 motor mount bolts away from making it happen. Then you can get it all cleaned up, oiled, and on blocks in your garage wrapped in oiled towels or cheap sheets, to prevent further damage. Plus, removing those crank bearings later if they have any rust spotting is a MAJOR PITA.

Ok, rant over, mostly I'm excited to see you go forward again =)

Good Luck!
Old 01-19-2010, 09:26 PM

And for the record, life of Brian rocks, my name is Bryan and I totally relate to it...
Old 01-21-2010, 02:26 AM

LUMPY.....here.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f47/...eelers-198859/
Old 01-28-2010, 09:28 PM

Keep it going man! don't let those sway bar bolts get you down... You don't want that damn thing when you are wheeling anyways, just limits your IFS flex.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:41 AM

Yeah, I will end up cutting it off though and the bolts are broken inside the frame now, so it wouldn't be back on for a while anyway.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:23 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Bah, we don't need no stinkin swaybar in PA do we 92 TOY.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:35 AM

leave it off...you'll like it better.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
leave it off...you'll like it better.

Another quote of the century. I hear that alot from my girlfriend.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Bah, we don't need no stinkin swaybar in PA do we 92 TOY.
better flex for the deep potholes
Old 02-02-2010, 04:08 AM

OK....

was working the last 1 million (actually 9days) days in a row and have not been able to post anything worthwhile in a long time.

well, don't get excited.

the "warmer" weather is getting me in the mind-set of starting to work on my truck again. And by warmer I mean like over 30 degrees.
also, pulled some overtime and some more to come (which, for me is hard to get OT because of my job classification.....part Admin / part worker-bee) but anyhoo, I'm hoping that between some OT and HOPEFULLY an income tax return that may have a few extra bucks I can ACTUALLY re-start my project.

I was reading through some of the posts / threads and saw that some "cleaning" is taking place and wishy-washy threads are getting moved around or deleted....and I understand the rationale of making it easier to search, because , honestly, and I've said it before, searching on here was torturous at it's best, and I understand why....at least as far as this thread is concerned, because it starts of with a bang and fizzles out fast enough too....so it was with panic that I checked to see that my thread still existed.

ok...so it does still exist....maybe it should be in the rebuild category or whatever, but checking some quick statistics (cuz, that's my duty at work too) I saw this thread has the most replies (besides the STICKYs) and 6th most views.....and to that I say HOLY HELL!!!!

so when I'm feeling like I failed at making this re-build / repair a go, I'm going to remind myself of those statistics.

Hopefully, for those who read this thread......and if you HAVE actually read the whole thing, I am sorry for you (hahahaha)...hopefully you walked away with some REAL knowledge and all that because, as I've said many times before, I have NO formal mechanic training and am doing all this based on research, trial and error (ALOT of error!!!!) and the vast knowledge of the members of YOTATECH. along with some pretty good ball busting too.

OK, Rah-rah-rah.....there....that cheered me up a little.

Now just have to go back and figure out where I left off with getting the oil pan loose.........BLECH!...................and have to find that shopping list........

Last edited by 92 TOY; 02-02-2010 at 04:11 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:41 AM

I hope you wrote down where you put and where to put all those bolts, cus by now I woulda forgotten where everything is and/or goes haha.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
I hope you wrote down where you put and where to put all those bolts, cus by now I woulda forgotten where everything is and/or goes haha.

Oh yeah...definitely

Each one (with the exception of the 5 or so from the diff etc) are each in a paper bag and labeled or in a cardboard template.

I also kept a kinda log-book / diary as I was going along and a million more pictures than what I posted.

Those are and have been my absolute recommendations to doing this kind of thing....bags / pictures / diary.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:37 AM

OK...kind of an update.

got the taxes done yesterday...."IF" I were able to spend all the money on things I want or need, I'd be getting ALOT of stuff and a new truck.

BUUUUUT..most of it goes to paying this year's house taxes and house insurance...so OUCH...most of it is gone before any refund check arrives.

so from this point forward I will be making a list of what I need to buy and what I ned to do. Honestly will have about $400..I figure that will be gobbled up quickly with parts and tools and likely will exceed that amount too.

so, as I recall, I need:

crank bolt from TOYOTA
engnbldr timing kit (all inclusive with pumps) ,head gasket kit and new head bolts.

FIPG from TOYOTA
probably injectors to witch hunter for sprucing up

torque wrenches (no thanks I don't like to borrow)

that little PITA allen bolt that goes under the thermostat housing
thermostat
belts

anything else anyone can think of would be appreciated.

Hopefully a re-start date of mid March will be accurate....and it will be warmer too.

Last edited by 92 TOY; 02-07-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:44 AM

Hahaha join the club I'm supposed to pick up my refund check Friday, and most of mine is spent on bills too! I did however put a little aside to get some new cragar soft 8"s to mount on the runner!
Old 02-07-2010, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by trb1977
Hahaha join the club I'm supposed to pick up my refund check Friday, and most of mine is spent on bills too! I did however put a little aside to get some new cragar soft 8"s to mount on the runner!

good deal.

what burns me up is I paid ALOT of money to have it prepared, and I think the only difference between me and the person preparing it, was the seating location...next year will be different, I SWEAR!!!!

I get initimdated by stuff I'm not experienced at...
Medical stuff...no prob, mechanical and taxes...no good.

Quick Reply: 92 TOY's 22re / crapped out / gotta start somewhere / thread