Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

92 TOY's 22re / crapped out / gotta start somewhere / thread

Old 09-19-2009, 02:45 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
OK

wife is working today, i'm off

may o may not do anything on the truck, youngest son??getting sick......back to school just over 2 weeks now, i guess it was time.

anyways.........that's my rant.

gona take off or unbolt and move the alternator today......gonna study the FSM and Hayne's and start to un-do stuff on the intake side.......of all things involved , the intake side is the most intimidating, guess i just have to be methodical about it.....in reality TAKING APART stuff, no problem, getting it back together will be the problem, so lot's of pics and i think i will write it in a tablet...so far everything is fresh in my mind since i realy ony put a few hours in over 2 days....the way my work schedule is, when i work, i work 12 to 16hrs at a clip, when i'm off, i'm exhausted or have a ton of other stuff to do, but my wife understands we need this truck up and running so we could sell that Cadillac for $$$ for other stuff.

the way i see it , $$$$wise, i think this wll end up being under or around the $300 mark with the short shopping list i need:
-timing chain
-oil pump
-water pump
-gasket set
-head resurfaced (not sure if this part is needed....will question this when i get to this part)
-timing cover
-???maybe the 268 cam?? who knows since i argue with myself all the time , especially when i don't really need to change it.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:25 AM

OK....

did some more work...

took the 2 cables off
[IMG][/IMG]

and some small hoses

and disconnected the Throttle Sensor
[IMG][/IMG]

had to unbolt the cahrcoal cannister to get at the rear-most bot on the upper manifold
[IMG][/IMG]

and again.....before i bag it, i mark the bag and take a picture of where the bots came from
[IMG][/IMG]

and because the inner 2 were bolts and the outer 2 were nuts (rear-most one holds on 2 grounds it looks like, and forward-most has an L-bracket that helps securely hold the wire harness)
[IMG][/IMG]

and then, with a few vacuum lines un-hooked, and took out the middle bolt which i believe is the fuel line (no spray as i had expected....but i'm not sure, i may still be in for that surprise as i go to mess with the fuel rail)
[IMG][/IMG]

this is the bolt i am talking about
[IMG][/IMG]

ok?????......what do i do here?, nothing?? looks black, but evenly black, not heavier in any of the 4 , looks even across the 4.
[IMG][/IMG]

and here it is minus the upper part....GETTING CLOSER
[IMG][/IMG]

what's next??
I'm guessing the fuel rail / injectors are and then i could work on the lower part.
May not be getting much done, as i feared the little guy isn't feeling well....gonna run now to the pharmacy to pick up meds......maybe i will get some more done, but as you all know, the little guy has to take priority over this.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:54 AM

Alright.

I guess i'm officially in too deep and almost at the point of no return.

got this thing apart
[IMG][/IMG]

and then started working on the fuel rail
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

but after all that, i'm only up to here
[IMG][/IMG]

I'm stopped for now. probably not gonna be able to work on it again for a few days.....probably wednesday....i'm busy all day tomorrow and work all day monday and tuesday.

i got 3 bolts and 1 nut off the top of the lower intake and 3 bolts and ?1nut (not sure if it was doing anything relevant) but it doesn't budge. Honestly, the FSM, and Hayne's I have are not step-by -step like i had wanted, it's more like it goes from step 2 and hen magically to step 30 and you have to figure out the rest.i'm VERY aggravated with that!

so i need to step back, breathe deep and not do ANYTHING for a while.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Good work!!! you are moving right along.

Don't forget about this lil guy here.

After you get this out it should come off.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
haha, lumpy I was just about to say that that stupid allen bolt stuped my for 30 minutes the first time I tore my intake manifold off

look'n good man
Old 09-19-2009, 11:40 AM

ya,know, i have half a mind to go out and try that. only half a mind. the other hald needs to get in the shower and get going......maybe later i will play.

if anybody has a pic of the UNDERSIDE of that side of the engine,it would be appreciated. for BLEEDER and OLHARLEY, i know you had yours on stands and i would apreciate if you had a pic to post it up.LUMPY, if you have one as well from you rchive, i'd appreciate it.

i'll post later. and thanks for the complimens. BLEEDER, i can't see your pics anymore on your thread, i can see them on OLHARLEYS.....on yours it says "bandwith exceeded"....does that mean YOU have too many pics.....HOW COULD THAT BE???????LOL.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:42 AM

PS.

Really, i know how to spell...most of the time......when i use our laptop, the keyboard responds when it wants to.if i don't proof read what i wrote i get stupid words sometimes. and no, i ALMOST NEVER use capital letters.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
subscribing if you need any help i will do all that I can to get you through threw ruff spots P.S. I LOVE MY NEW 268 AND SO WILL YOU IF YOU GET ONEBUT THINK ABOUT OPENING THE HEAD UP TO MAKE IT EVEN BETTER
Old 09-19-2009, 11:47 AM

thanks OLHARLEY......see the post above yours......must have been posting while you were.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 92 TOY
ya,know, i have half a mind to go out and try that. only half a mind. the other hald needs to get in the shower and get going......maybe later i will play.

if anybody has a pic of the UNDERSIDE of that side of the engine,it would be appreciated. for BLEEDER and OLHARLEY, i know you had yours on stands and i would apreciate if you had a pic to post it up.LUMPY, if you have one as well from you rchive, i'd appreciate it.

i'll post later. and thanks for the complimens. BLEEDER, i can't see your pics anymore on your thread, i can see them on OLHARLEYS.....on yours it says "bandwith exceeded"....does that mean YOU have too many pics.....HOW COULD THAT BE???????LOL.
Here's a few with and without the crank with bearings setting in place as well and using plasti gauge to check bearing clearances

Old 09-19-2009, 12:14 PM

i'm looking for anything of the underside of the lower intake manifold namely what the heck is all under there.

i took that stupis long screw out that was circled......it didn't budge...so i must have missed something..........and who's stupid idea was that to have a screw like that????? after i rounded out the inside of it, i grabbed it with the vise-grips and got it out.....even took the EGR off the back and tapped the manifold a few times to see if it was stuck.......must bee missing a bolt that i can't see , that's why i want pics PLEASE!!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2009, 03:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
ummmm, check my pics again; they've been working sence the 16th
Old 09-19-2009, 03:51 PM

ok....checked a few times a few days and gave up. did not check today....you must have upgraded to "PRO"????? Ok i will check.....

just got home, bought some stuff..............did alot of thinking.......wouldn't it just be easier to pull the dang engine already, by the time i'm done here i'll have a block and an oil pan in the truck, everything else will be out....oh my ____, what am i saying?
Old 09-19-2009, 04:26 PM

i bought a pulley holder and a breaker bar in hopes that this makes getting that crankshaft bolt easier to get off.

does that pully holder look like it's the right thing?

yeah, i think i may keep disassembling as best as i can in the truck down to the block and the pull the block and put it on an engine stand and reassemble there.

hey BLEEDER,or OLHARLEY, just leave your's on the porch and i will swing by and pick it up. LOL

nah.....went to Harbor Frieght...they have ones cheap ad i would just start asking around about the engine hoist....but not gonna buy both...... But really.....after undoing this and that and smashing my hands and contorting myself and on and on i think it would be easier just to pull the damn thing out and definitely more assured i'd be putting it back together right too.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:55 PM

BLEEDER....

on your thread...
page 1, from your entry on 5-4-09......your 1st 4 pictures are pictures of the intake side.......between picture 3 and pictue 4 is ALOT of work........do you have any pics detailing that?

another question, picture 4 of that entry, there is a "thingy" metal pipe (not the gas one) to a 2 bolt almost oval-shaped piece that i guess hooks on the bottom of the lower intake (i did not undo these, and so i hope this is what's holding me in. but likewise, i will check to see if i have the same # of bolts in my pizza box template (I LUV Pizza boxes) as you have, i dont think so.....i think 'm a bolt short top and bottom.......my count (from rear to front) TOP.....nut-bolt-bolt-bolt and BOTTOM bolt-bolt-bolt-nut.

see if you could find some pics in between...... was trying to snap pics all along without scumming upmy camera too much...so i did end up with ALOT of pics, i only posted a fraction of them.

Last edited by 92 TOY; 09-19-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:00 PM

Well on the intake there are 2 pipes that also connect to it. One is on the back side and goes to the exhaust manifold and the other is underneath, the middle I think, I believe it's a coolant line. Did you get both of those off? They run behind the motor and bolt to the head I think there are 2 bolts that hold them on. Loosen the ones on the back of the head, don't need to take them all the way out. then remove the exhaust manifold before you pull the lower intake. This should help.

If I recall there are 4 bolts and 2 nuts that hold the intake to the head, 1 long hex head and the 2 pipes.

Help me out if I'm missing something.
After all that give her a tap...I stress tap with a rubber mallet and it should come off.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:09 PM

This is one of them I'm talking about...Stole this from Bleeder...

The pipe right about his fingers you gotta remove...I believe this is a coolant hose and the other is part of the EGR stuff...It's on the back of intake well towards the back.

Alright gotta run...I'll follow up in the AM. Hope this helps ya,
Old 09-19-2009, 05:11 PM

thanks LUMPY.

Pics??

anyway, thanks....i think that's the key to it.......i have the upper intake off...is the one you talk about "on the back side" the EGR one that went to the upper intake? If not i wll look around, but you say it goes to the exhaust manifold, huh? i didn't mess with that side yet.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:15 PM

WOW!

that's the pic i was talking about to BLEEDER. at least we are all on the same page , literally.

SPOOKY!

yeh, i'm done today too, lots to do tomorrow and one of it involes the truck.

Bleeder, i'll give you my addressand you could just trhow your hoist and stand in that CAMARO and drop them off. if 'm not home just leave them under the mat.LOL!
Old 09-19-2009, 05:54 PM

You'll find the exhaust one as soon as you take gander at that side. I believe it connects to the piping on the outside of the manifold.

By the way how's the lil one doing? Better I hope. Hate when the kids get ill.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 92 TOY's 22re / crapped out / gotta start somewhere / thread