86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

92 4Runner Won't Start After Arcing Wires

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 4Runner Won't Start After Arcing Wires

I have a 92 v6 4wd that turns over, but will not start. The check engine light does not come on when the ignition is on. Vehicle turns over but will not start.

The story begins with a busted headlight after hitting a deer. I replaced bulb and it was still very dim on the passenger side. At first I began looking for a broken wire, before I realized I just had a fuse problem. While I was inspecting wires I was unwrapping the tape around the wiring sheath that sits behind the battery over the passenger side fender. There were 3 white wires with a red stripe that had a connection there that was crimped and had a plastic cover over them. As I unwrapped tape the some of the copper wire became exposed and I bumped it against the fender and it arced the wires against the fender. Since that time vehicle will not start and CEL will not come on with ignition on.
All fuses are fine. I checked the voltage at B+ with key on I get nothing. Swapped the headlight relay with EFI relay, no difference. Check voltage of ECU fuse on driver side kick panel with key on and I have 12v. Check voltage at ignition fuse with key on, I have nothing.
I checked voltage on the same white wire with red stripe that I zapped and have zero volts there.

In the process of being a careless idiot, did I fry the igniter or the ignition switch? I don't have much experience with tracking down electrical issues. This a daily driver that gets my son to work and I need to come up a solution as soon as possible.....getting a bit desperate. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-06-2017, 08:46 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
In looking at the wiring diagrams, it seems very likely you blew the 30 amp AM2 fuse, which is in the fuse box under the hood on the passenger side. That powers up the ignition fuse, but not the starter circuits or the ECU fuse. It also has a white-red wire associated with it, so it matches all of your observations.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:11 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by RJR
In looking at the wiring diagrams, it seems very likely you blew the 30 amp AM2 fuse.
This^^^.
Also supplies the 15A EFI fuse.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 07-06-2017 at 09:15 AM.