Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

'92 4rnr: Driveshaft question..

Old 03-24-2008, 10:30 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
'92 4rnr: Driveshaft question..

Howdy gentlemen.....(and any ladies)

Several months ago, I had a u-joint poop out on my '86....the one on the yoke stub at the t-case. At that time, I had no replacement for it on hand and I needed to drive it the next day. Soooo, I thought it would be a wonderful idea to just take the complete unit off of my '92, put it on the '86, and then just replace the u-joint when I bought one.....leaving it on the '92. Well, I pulled the yoke from '92 and found it had a plastic "bushing/cap" type thingy on the very end of the spline shaft. Plus, it had plastic "threading" as part of the bushing and run through the splines all the way down into the dust cover and outer sleeve. I'd never seen this before....and there wasn't one on my '86. I had a feeling it was important and probably should leave it alone, but then I was in a bind. Had to drive, right? (The '92 wasn't running at the time, either). Okay, so I bit the bullet and removed it, but the threading shredded, broke into pieces, and mostly came out of the splines. Damn! Well, I'll deal with it when the time comes. Now, I can't find any definitive information on it, what exactly it's purpose its, and how I can repair it. The driveshaft now vibrates....mostly at around 50 -55mph.

The alternatives would have been to leave the yoke on the shaft and extract the u-joint, but then I'd run the risk of damaging it...making it useless. Or, swap entire drivelines...which I'm thinking now I should've done, but that would've required a tad more wrenching. And, gee....momma, help me....it was rather cold and wet outside.

So, the questions to you guys's is....what is "bushing/threading" and how can I fix it? Can I fix it? Who has seen this before? The fellas at the dealer....one in particular...had the almost confident theory is that it's an "impact bushing"...in case the spline shaft should bottom out into the yoke stub under an extreme condition....like a wreck...which I had Jan. of last year... Even if that's correct, I still need to fix it.

Last edited by thook; 03-24-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:22 PM

bumpety, bump, bump....
Old 03-26-2008, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Don't know what to tell you, Matthew; but I'll bump your thread again!
Old 03-27-2008, 06:55 PM

Lol....yeah, I get that (the first reply) a lot these days. NO ONE knows anything about it. This is a first for me.

T'anks fer da bump!