Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

92 22RE difficult to start when engine warmer

Old 02-09-2014, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 22RE difficult to start when engine warmer

Hey guys,

I've asked this question I believe on another forum, and though i'd ask here. I have a new to me 92 toyota pickup. I got it for this winter, and with all the snow on the east coast, it's been proving it's worth. I had some mishaps with it starting early on. Sometimes it would start fine when cold or warm, than sometimes it would take 3-4 times to get it turn over. When ever it would turn it on it would run really weak for like a second than be fine.

Since than I replaced the engine coolant temperature sensor, which didn't do much. I than replaced my cold start injector, and noticed it starts up no problem when the engine is cold. It's been working good for a few months now. The issue is if the engine is on for a little, and I turn it off to get it back on is difficult. It also depends on how long it's been on, and how warm it is. I'm wondering if I could have a faulty time switch or circuit open relay? Any other ideas? It's getting fuel because it starts fine when cold everytime. I have a feeling it's a sensor, but wanted to ask you guys.

Also how exactly do I get access to the circuit open relay? I know it's above the ECU in the passenger side kick panel, but do I need to remove the dash, and glove box? I removed the kick panel which gives you access to ECU, but theres no way I can see the COR let alone get access to it.

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2014, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yep me too, same problems, cept mine dies about 3-4 minutes after it stays idling, like someone shut the key off. It seems like it wants to lower the idle from a higher cold start idle to a normal idle as the coolant begins to heat-up, but instead it just dies. A mechanic friend hooked up his computer and it says the engine is in open loop at idling, is that part of the problem, not sure? The code it was throwing was 21 i believe for the o2 sensor which I promptly replaced as well as the coolant tempature sensor. At that time I replaced the thermostat, couple hoses, and took off the TB cleaned the hell out of it, new gasket. Also the auxiliary air valve, put it in boiling water the valve opened so I guess it's good still? New air filter, removed EGR cleaned out a clogged port as well as the EGR modulator took out little filter blew it out, new plugs as all were really black.
Did all this and got the truck started drove around back and forth several different places, awesome noticable power increase, started after it was hot. Then today it starts up let it idle did some stuff moved the truck a couple times went to grab something from inside then it dies like before like someone shut off the key. So today I:
Tried bypassing circuit opening relay, by jumping B+ to FP and unplugging the COR, as was suggested by parts store guy, and it actually started!! Does this mean the COR is bad? The only way it will start now it by putting pedal to floor and cranking for 10 seconds it starts then dies
Im seriously fed up with this problem. Seems like ive been chasing it all around and just when I think i got it I'm back too square one.
Anyone?