Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

914runner blues

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
914runner blues

Hey guys and gals,you might have seen my questions else where and still haven't figured out the problem.I have a 91 4runner that the trans overheats ruined a hog hunting trip and now after a ruined camping trip( thought i had it fixed) over heated abut 20 minutes on the road in the foothills.Changed oil filter,engine is'nt overheating,checked all lined there clear.So i'm lost now.This trip I had a chp pullover and tell me how i shouldv'e bought a chevy.I was thinking a trans cooler so if someone knows of a good one and easy installation,I don't have the tools to do mods let me know.Thanks,
Evilplay...I'd like to blast by that chp in my toyo just to make a point hahaha
Old 06-04-2006, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by evilplay
hog hunting
I am trying so hard to refrain... Do a search for transmission cooler. There are a lot of options out there. Installation is relatively easy. I'm considering a fanned cooler from flexalite, but it aint cheap. flexalite
Old 06-04-2006, 07:25 PM
Contributing Member

Import Performance Transmissions sells a really good one. It has a bypass so that the atf can flow easy when it is still cold. It also comes with different ways of attaching it. http://www.ipttrans.com I think I got the 4454, but the next smaller one might be easier to find a place to mount it. You can check out my install https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/transmission-cooler-mounted-behind-grill-pics-86774/ no special tools needed, only a lot of patience. Also Robinhood150 has a writeup on his website how he put his behind his skidplate. Good luck,
Chris

Last edited by slosurfer; 06-04-2006 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:06 AM

Hey thanks for the replys.ChickenLover I'm new to this site and really not sure how it works yet.I guess from your comment I shoudv'e searched trans cooler?If thats not the case then let me know.Slosurfer I like your installation, the front of your truck is
exactly like mine and when I looked in that space last night I thought to myself there is
know way I could fit something in there.If there is a will there is a way.SO check it out
I'm going to buy the cooler as soon as possible and start cutting.I'm new to the toyota
world.I also have a 72 jimmy full convert. that i've driven for years,but living here in Fresno,Ca. u need a/c so I bought the 91 runner.For a 91 it's immaculant.So now I have to learn everything about the runner.Is there different sections for my questions,or do I ask all my questions in this forum.Well anyways,Chris you don't live that far from Fresno so how about some help.Hahaha,thanks again and see u at Pismo
Old 06-05-2006, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by evilplay
I shoudv'e searched trans cooler?
Correct. Look towards the top of the page. There is a blinking 'search' button.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:37 PM

Well since I started this I guess I'll keep going.I just bought the tru-flo that slosurfer
recommened.The question I have is this...I have the tow package on there now,the trans lines go thru a small radiator in the back passanger side and I do mean small.What if I remove that one and install the tru glo there or should I leave that one on there also.Hey slosurfer on my birthday last year i took surfing lessons.That ˟˟˟˟˟ is hard I pulled a muscle after about an hour and half of swallowing salt water.hahaha
At 45 I didn't do to bad,my 13 yo daughter was up and riding on her 4th try.Talk about getting shown up.It looks real easy from the sand.The instructor asked me if i was in good shape and I climb telephone poles for a living so I told him yea.I was way wrong.So kudos to you surfer dudes.Well anyways I'm going to start installing Friday after work.Thanks,Evilplay
Old 06-06-2006, 10:46 PM

ok now I know I don't know ˟˟˟˟˟ about these toyotas.Please disregard the idea of removing the little radiator in the back of my runner.I was just informed it has nothing to do with my trans cooling.That just saved me alot of money.I already fried ecu in it bought 3 relays and alot of time just to get back to where I started..overheating trans.