86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

91 pickup new door source?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 pickup new door source?

Just about to start tearing my truck apart for a rebuild and the doors are pretty well shot on the bottom. Gonna hafta replace them. I'm new to the game and lingo but I was told to chase CAPA parts. I can't find any doors with this stamp.

Anyone buy any doors from rockauto.com? If so are they good quality? Are there any other sources of good quality doors?

Called around to some junkyards and kind of afraid I'll end up with what I already have.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I should elaborate and say I was wondering if brand new non-CAPA doors are the same quality as original doors. Would I be better off hunting for an "original" door from a scrap yard out west that's out of the rust belt? (I live in WI...)

Last edited by duckhead; 06-09-2015 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:30 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Show us some pictures!!

Shipping doors is going to be expensive.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:15 AM

Hey duckhead welcome to the forms. Regarding your question, when you view the door options that are available from rock auto, they should have a tag on them that indicates the quality such as these:

• CAPA CERTIFIED parts bear the seal of the Certified Automotive Parts Association guaranteeing fit and quality equal to original equipment. These parts may be required if your insurance company is paying for the repair.
  • ECONOMY are less expensive and may be less durable and/or a less-exact match for original equipment than other lines. When replacing symmetrical parts (like taillights or mirrors), we recommend replacing both sides to ensure they match (small differences in gloss or color compared to original may be noticeable if you replace only one side).
  • OE NEW parts are supplied directly by the Original Equipment Manufacturer. These parts are the same as what the vehicle manufacturer installed on the assembly line.
  • PREMIUM LINE parts are more expensive because they come from brand-name, generally U.S. based manufacturers like Visteon.
  • RECONDITIONED parts are OE quality, have been reconditioned and are ready for preparation and paint. Primer color of parts may vary.
  • RECYCLED parts are from the Original Equipment Manufacturer, and arrive ready for preparation and paint. Color of recycled parts may vary. Parts may be "blemished" items rejected by a vehicle assembly plant for minor scratches or other imperfections, or parts left over at the end of a vehicle model year and sold as surplus. No additional preparation has been performed on recycled parts.
  • REGULAR INVENTORY parts come from companies like TYC Genera, DEPO (MaxZone), Kool-Vue, EagleEyes, and TYG. Sometimes our warehouse's inventory may include the same part with the same part number, from two or more manufacturers -- this is why we can't promise which brand part you'll receive. Regardless of manufacturer, these parts look and perform like original equipment -- they're all based on the same original-equipment designs.
Otherwise, you might want to try the junkyards in your area and pull a door from them.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:33 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Don't forget that "prefect fit" may be an illusion on a 24-yr old truck. Who knows what's happened to the door frame in all those years.

Also, "new" parts are usually door skins; someone has to completely re-assemble the door using your old parts. If, somehow, you can find a "complete" salvaged door, you're halfway done.

Last, welding is not out of the question. You won't be the first person to weld new sheet metal to the bottom of a rusted door, tuning it up with judicious use of Bondo. (Takes talent and time, but you may have enough of the latter to develop the former.)
Old 06-11-2015, 01:43 PM

Sources of doors for your 91 P/U

I put a door from an 89 P/U on my driver side 91 4X4 from pick a part.
Depending on the part of the country determines availability.
Doors from 87-93 P/U or 4Runner should be an exact fit.
The inside trim wasn't a style match, I made my own,
but all the holes are the same($35 up here including guts)
just bolt on and align (the hard part)
Of course determined by hole condition in the receiving vehicle.
Would never buy "new" for a 25 y/o unit, aftermarket never
going to be good as OEM
Old 06-16-2015, 06:07 AM

Sorry for the delay but thanks for all the info! I'll get some pics up as soon as possible. Too busy ripping the truck apart. Wanted to start a build thread but just don't have time. I'll backdate things when I get some time.

May have been a bit dramatic on the "pretty well shot" haha. You guys might laugh when you see it. Paint guy was saying to replace em because it'll be hard to get rid of the lip rust that started.