Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'91 pickup af issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'91 pickup af issue

Hi guys,
I have just bought a '91 4x4 2RE, here's the scoop: AFAIK per the PO, the truck has a cam in it, when bought it, the timing was set at 20deg btdc. The truck ran really well and strong, but it seemed weird thaqt I had no pinging at all, plus there is a really bad gas smell... ...so I set the thing to stock. Well, at 5deg btdc the truck wants to bog and the manifold starts to glow. I set it back to 20 deg and it runs super rich, tons of water out of exhaust (byproduct of cat) but has good power.
last week I replaced plugs and wires. I check the plugs today and they are soot black, so on a whim I unplug the cold start injector connector and voila! the gas stink goes away, the truck starts pinging on accel like it should at 20btdc. I tested the cold start timer switch and at operating temp the connector reads 6ohms (spec is 20-40) this must be an electrical issue right? If the cold start injector was stuck open it would leak as long as there was fuel pressure at the rail right? I rely on the combined expertise of this board. Anyone else have a rich ratio due to a bad cold start timer switch? thanks in advance.

ps. the truck has less than 500 miles since rebuild and i was two quarts low after two weeks... rings not seated? jeez!
Old 11-12-2008, 09:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
did you check the timing with the diagnostic test connector jumpered per the factory service manual?
when you checked the time switch how cold was the switch?
did you disconnect the plug from it? if not, you might be getting parallel resistance from the starter solenoid and cold start injector messing with your reading.
if the csi was flowing during the break in causing a rich condition, it's possible the excess fuel is affecting the break in of the rings.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:40 AM

sorry, I should have included that, yes I jumpered e1 and te1. I had 6ohms at the time switch at op temp, so maybe too little resistance? What is the best way to set rings at 500 miles, aren't the bores gonna be toast? the weird thing is I don't notice a the truck blowing smoke smoke, and for two quarts, I would think there would be some noticeable smoking under load. Btw, I am a honda/acura technician fwiw.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily worry about the rings yet. If you do a compression test and the numbers are good, they just might need some more time. Do you know if the original owner performed any oil changes before you got the truck? If you're not sure, I'd say an oil change is in order.

have you tried unplugging the csi and setting the timing back down to where it should be to see how it runs? What you described when you set the timing down, wanting to bog, rough running, etc. can be attributed to an overly rich mixture.

You are checking the correct sensor, yes? If you're standing in front of the truck, should be the one on the left, black plug. checking between the terminals it should be between 65-90 ohms when above 84F.
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...ne/39colds.pdf
Old 11-13-2008, 02:57 PM

First off, let me say thanks to you for taking the time to try and help me. Yeah I checked the csi time switch, black two pin connector on the left. I am not sure if I was on the terminals (it is a mother to get to where it's at), when I tried to check between them I got OL, but when I read ohms from the left terminal to ground I get about 77 ohms. I pulled the csi out of the bung on the plenum, plugged the hole and fired it up. I had no fuel dripping when the truck was warm. I am frigging stumped... I am gonna run this tank out and check the oil and plugs. I changed the oil about a week ago toyota filter and 10w30. Also installed ngk v-powers and toyota wires when I did the oil change
Old 11-19-2008, 05:25 PM

any body else with a rich condition? I'm leaning towards o2 sensor at this point.