Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'91 3.0 Chewed distrib. gear- New or used cam?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'91 3.0 Chewed distrib. gear- New or used cam?

Hey all. My Distrubuter grenaded, and chewed up the gear
on the cam. I'm going to need cam to finish the job. (used distributor is on the way) My question is, should I get a used cam to better match the bearing surfaces on the well worn 200,000 plus valve train so that the valves will seat correctly, or get a new cam altogether. Also, while I'm in there what else should I be looking to replace along with the cam. My mechanic friend is helping me so time and money IS an issue. I just wonder if I'm going to need new caps, etc for the cam or anything else, and whether it's better to get a used one or not.

I was also wondering if is would be a good idea to pull the oil pan and get potential metal shavings out from the stripped gears, and any other pitfalls that can occur in this type of breakdown. The motor does turn, and there does not appear to be any valve damage.

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2009, 06:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, on the bright side of things, the drivers side cam is much easier to replace.
In theory, you should install a new cam. Mismatched used lifters and used cams tend to result in lobe failures. But, given that the cam rides on such a large shim, you may be in luck with a used replacement cam.
I would simply turn over the shims, above each valve, and expose the unused surface to the used cam and likely nothing will happen. You will have to check each lobe for proper clearances. In past overhauls, I measured each valve clearance and often swapped around shims to get the minimum clearances Toyota advertises. If that doesn't work, time to pay the dealer for a shim or two. A large screwdriver and magnet will work for removing/replacing the shims.
I would ensure you have a magnetic drain plug in the pan. It will catch any iron particles from the damaged cam gear.
Good luck, inspect the used cam for premature lobe wear and use plenty of patience.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply, this information is very helpful. I'm probably just going to bite the bullet and go for a new one. Of course this may change depending on the price