Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Looking at a new Toy tonight

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 10:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking at a new Toy tonight

Hey guys, its been a while since i have been on here. I sold my last toy that I rebuilt since the last time I was around. But I have found another one that I am going to look at tonight. Let me know what you guys think. Seller said that the frame had some repairs done, tune-up on engine, fairly decent tires, and a few other things. Let me know guys. Heres the link.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/1098415058.html
Old 03-30-2009, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is a nice truck, great price too. I'd like to find one like that.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:43 AM

Yeah im going to look at it tonight. So there are a few things that I need to check out. Mainly the frame, but we shall see.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:49 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
depending on how the frame looks, that trucks looks pretty clean, low miles too...good luck..
Old 03-30-2009, 11:50 AM

for 2300, that's a damn good truck. Hopefully nothing is majorly wrong with it
Old 03-30-2009, 11:55 AM

Yeah you and me both. I really miss my old toy. My other one had a really bad frame that I had to cut all up and make new again. Im not totally opposed to doing it again as long as the rest of the truck is as nice as it looks in the pictures. The guy said that it runs good and has a few new parts. So I will be sure to let you guys know whats going on.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:04 PM

DAMN good deal...before I got my truck I was looking at a 91 with a lot more rust than that, reg cab, no a/c, stock radio, original shocks, stock size tires...all for 3000. Granted this is the east coast, but still, thats a total steal. Good luck!
Old 03-30-2009, 08:27 PM

Not sure what to do now

Ok so the guy had to reschedule for tomorrow night so I didnt get to check it out yet. But I founf another that seems like a better deal. Its a 94 with a 6cyl and 195,000 miles with a documented rebuild at 175,000. It also has newer tires on it. Now Im not sure what to do. Do I go for the 22re with less miles and decent tires and minimal rust or do I go with the 94 6cyl with some rust almost new tires and a recent rebuild. Im not familiar with the 6cyl, so Im not sure how long the bottom end would last. I am familiar with the 22re. I have rebuilt them before. Here is the like below for the 94. Please HELP

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/cto/1094605273.html
Old 03-30-2009, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wait for the 4cyl. Some of the 6's have treated folks well, but there are just too many problem engines in that version to take a chance. Frequently they get only 12-15 mpg. Little aftermarket support as well. Wouldn't hurt to look at it though, just for comparison.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:49 PM

Yeah im really up in the air about them both. I know alot abotu the 22re and feel confident that I can do anything to it and with it simply because I have had a few of them apart in my own hands. Now on the other hand the 94 looks really good to and the tires are a plus. Im hoping that this guy will hold up his end of the deal and let me look at the 92 tomorrow afternoon. and Im planning on looking at the 94 on thursday If everything works out. But If I go and the 92 is as nice as the guy says it is I might but it because its pretty cheap. There is another thing about the 92, he said theres a body lift on it and the t-case lever was never extended so when in 4wd the lever could catch on the carpet under torque and slip out. So he made a custome boot/cover for it. Now im no expert but I have been working on cars my whole life and I just dont see how the lever would get pushed back out from the carpet. Like I said I could be wrong. I have never had a body lift on anything. So I have nothing to compare it to. Let me know what you guys think please.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gizler00
Now im no expert but I have been working on cars my whole life and I just dont see how the lever would get pushed back out from the carpet. Like I said I could be wrong. I have never had a body lift on anything. So I have nothing to compare it to. Let me know what you guys think please.
Leave it to Roger Brown to have an explanation and solutions. (I like the short throw idea)

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...lTransmissions
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...wShifter.shtml

I have a 1 inch BL with no issues. If it is truly due to the BL it will be an easy fix.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:50 PM
Contributing Member

Looking at the two of them and being that they are both standard cab shortbeds I'd say wait for the 4cyl. You really don't need the teeny extra omph of the 6 and the fuel econ is so much better with the 4 and if you want you can put a stock yota turbo on it with next to no work. That and the seller of the 6 does not have a pic of the "lightly rusted" area showing in his ad... so just how bad is it?
Old 03-31-2009, 03:02 AM

Get the 4 hands down...cheaper, less miles, easier to work on...everything about it is better. Especially on a lighter reg. cab.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:51 AM

Im leaning more towards the 4cyl more myself. I just wanted some opinions from you guys. Im going to try and look at it tonight unless the guy changes plans again. We shall see. I will be sure to post pics for you guys if I get it.
Thanks a ton
Old 03-31-2009, 07:00 AM

Go for the 4!

I've had both 4 and 6 cyl. I just finished doing timing belt, cam & crank seals, water pump and valve covers gaskets on my 3.0 and if you could see my hands (I'm at work with no camera), you'd definitely go for the 4 cylinder.

Working on a 6, there's never quite enough room to do what you want to do. Because of this, most tasks require removal of additional parts to provide the needed room to remove the original part. The additional parts are also tight on space so this process goes on and on...

Also, any serious wrenching on a 3.0 requires every sort of socket extension, knuckle and rachet and you will use them in every possible combination.

Bottom line...I suspect that the 3.0 engine is a product of the Japanese anger over the US dropping the bomb. Go for the 4.

Last edited by seisdtaex; 03-31-2009 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:10 AM

I have a buddy who has driven both motors with the 5speed. Other than the head gasket issue he doesnt understand why people like the 22 over the 3vz for a DD. Im not knocking the 22. I have seen one put through hell and back and then sent back agian. Its a very durable motor. I would say go with the 3vz. If worst comes to worst you can bolt in a 3.4 which is probably just a durable. I have one in my 88 runner and my muddy is running one in his 92. Its a fairly easy swap for the 3vz. Plus the trans on the 94 is much stronger than the 92. BFG are good for DD but for the cliffs you will need a set of MTs. However they should be ok at the badlands. Thats if you plan on wheeling it. MPG is about the same for the two. I would say 94.

Last edited by Dan.3; 03-31-2009 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:03 PM

Horrible horrible frame

Ok so here it is. I finally looked at the 93 White 4cyl toyota. The Body ofthe truck is MINT. Every panel and the cab have absolutely NO RUST AT ALL!! However the frame is so bad it wasnt even funny. Now in not afraid of frame repair, check out my other threads with the frame repair, But this frame was so bad it was not even funny. Not whats not the bad part. What made the frame so bad was that the guy tried to do a repair and should not have. Instead of cutting out the bad and welding in new, they just bent and welded scrap metal to the frame in various spots. It looked like someone that never even used a welder before or even knew what a frame was tried to fix this truck. Now it is so screwed up from the crappy repairs that it needs a new back half or a full frame. Im really upset because the rest of the truck is so nice. Im going to go try look at the black 6cyl if the guy ever gets back to me. So I will let you know
Old 03-31-2009, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member

That's too bad man... but at least we know now why the price was so cheap.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:36 PM

Yeah. Thats says it all about the price. The frame was so poorly rpaired. They made such a mess on it that it was useless. I wish I would have taken pictures to show you guys. It was so hacked. And then they never painted it or anything. When I did my frame on my last yota. I rust encapsulated and chassis blacked the whole thing. I ground down the whole back half and made it like new. And then I looked at this tonight and was almost sick. So Now im going to try and look at another one.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:09 PM

i hate that, when you find a good deal, get your hopes up, and find something terrible about the car.

I had my eyes set on an old mitsubishi coupe. Cheap, looked nice, sporty, everything. Got in it for the test drive, and the clutch was literally on its last leg. Turned it down and got my truck

You never know what's gonna happen, so just go with the flow XD

Quick Reply: Looking at a new Toy tonight