Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

'89 Toyota Pickup Engine Swap

Old 11-03-2017, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '89 Toyota Pickup Engine Swap

Hello all!

I was thinkin about doing an engine swap on my 1989 Toyota pickup. Although, I have no idea where to start as far as researching and good sites. I'm the second owner to this truck and it has the original engine with a few maintenance parts on it, but nothing major to alter the way it was built from factory.

I've heard that the 3.4l 5VZFE is a good swap, but correct me if I'm wrong on that.

What I would like to know is:
A) What a good engine would be to replace it with
B) The average cost of the swap
C) How much extra parts am I going to have to get in order to make her run optimal.

I want to build a street legal trail runner, something that I can have fun off-road as well as on. I love the body style ( I'm a huge sucker for the old style trucks) and would like to keep it.
Thank you for yall's time for helping me out!
Old 11-03-2017, 12:02 PM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Hello! The best place to start your research is here at yota tech. Navigate to the forum tab, scroll to the off road/ fab shop/ engine swap section. Then move the mouse over to the engine swap talk portion. Click on this. Then read and read and read some more (seriously there is a lot of information to be had).
Old 11-03-2017, 01:43 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
The 3.4L 5VZFE is a great engine and is probably the most common engine swaps for these trucks, aside from direct replacement engines.

There is a whole sub-forum for the 5VZFE swap at YotaTech: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160/

All other engine swaps can be found here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f159/

I have not read many threads of engine swaps so I cannot give you any other pointers.

Read through the many threads here to help you figure out which way you want to go!

Search this Thread