86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

89 sas truck general advice wanted

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 sas truck general advice wanted

I'm thinking about maybe buying this-"$5,500-1989 Toyota Xtra cab pickup with ~142,000 miles. It is a 4x4 with the 3.0 V6 and a 5 speed manual.
The swap uses 44044 springs and a Sky Offroad spring hanger with OTT Industries Hi-steer and fits the 36” tires with minimal rubbing. There are lots of good offroad parts
Check engine light is on, caused by a broken speedometer cable that has been repaired. Can still pass smog.

I did the axle swap using an 85 Toyota axle, it has diff armor, wheel spacers, 4.88 gears and an open differential.

Steel braided brakelines with shock hoops and Doetsch Tech shocks. The steering is Hi-steer from OTT Industries and has a billet pitman arm. It uses Rancho 44044 leaf springs in front and 4" springs with no blocks in the back to give a good amount of lift and flex.

It also has a 2" body lift, custom bumpers, rock sliders,cd player, and a Cobra CB. I have replaced the power steering pump and steering gear box, but one of the lines needs to be replaced to stop a small leak. The front axle could use new seals, a common problem with the Toy straight axles.

It also has an exhaust leak at the cat converter flange. Tires will need to be replaced soon. It will still pass smog"

Does this sound reasonable for what it is? Anything special to look for? Looks like good set up with a few fixes, unfortunately no lockers, but just about everything else good to go-ya agree or no??

Any input appreciated
Thanks
Old 07-30-2006, 09:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
My .02

Learn as much as you can about the fab/ welding skills of the SAS installer. Learn more about the front driveshaft. Who built it? Does it have enough travel for the SAS. Driveshafts can be spendy.

What gearing? Stock? If so, you will be really depressed with the power of the 3.0 on that vehicle and will want to change ASAP which can cost a fair amount, escpecially if you add locker(s) as you mention.

Pull the engine codes to see if the check engine light concurs with owners explanation. Might want to check and see if the vehicle has had it's headgasket replaced by the factory recall. If not, might be able to get Toyota to do some engine work for you. If so, how long ago was the HG replaced? By who? What manufacturer of HG? Receipts?
Old 07-30-2006, 09:51 PM

Definenitly pull engine codes, if they refuse, walk away.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:45 PM

Great, thanks for the replys. I'll check engine codes and take em to Toyota or look up online(?).

Anything specific to check on the axle & fab. Ad says he put it in himself. What might be screwed up? Hook up to drive shaft or suspension?

Thanks again.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:23 AM

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/

You can find them in this. I would find em for you, but I gotta go to work.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First, consider paying a mechanic to inspect the whole thing, if you know a good one. Otherwise:

Inspect the coolant and the oil for one in the other, either would be a sign of bad things (You could volunteer to give him an oil change, that way you can see all of the oil, and it would only be like $30). Also start up the engine and look for bubbling coolant tank. Perhaps bring a compression tester and test compression in the #6 cylinder (and maybe a few others while you're at it). While you are doing this inspect the spark plugs for any build-up. If the spark plugs have oil on them, or have strange yellowish or white build-up, could be bad (also check their gap to get an idea of how old they are). If there is coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant, or any other problems, walk away (or offer him the price minus the price of an engine, which he will say not to obviously).

Ask about maintinence records. How often does he change his oil, that kind of thing (and what kind of oil does he use). Inspect the spark plug wires and belts for cracks and the like, this will give you some insight into how well he cares for the engine. Listen for any strange noises while the engine is running. Look for leaks everywhere and act disappointed about anything you find. Rev the engine and look for smoke out the tailpipe, same with a test drive.

Problem is, it's a SAS so it's probably off-roaded pretty hard. Look for rust everywhere. Act disappointed if you find any

EDIT: I don't think a broken speedometer cable could throw a CEL code, BTW.

Good luck!

Last edited by mastacox; 07-31-2006 at 05:58 AM.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
In regards to the SAS... I suppose there are many things that could have been done wrong. Mostly, I'd thouroughly check the welds and fab work. If you don't know what to look for, have a qualified welder look at it with you.

Although it might be hard to see in pictures, you might try taking a few of the SAS and posting. See what comments you might get on the quality of the work.

Even though a SAS on these vehicles is done often and because of that has been made fairly easy, you want to make sure it was done right. A lot of major components have been modified.

Try to determine the exact reason he is selling the vehicle. Gas prices to high, wants to drive something else, doesn't like the color... or are there fundamental problems with some of the mods he has done that are beyond his ability or interest to correct.