Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

89 PU - What fuel lines go where?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 07:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 PU - Diagnosing fuel system ??'s

I had a leak on what I thought was my gas tank seam, so I took my tank out and tested it. It was fine. So, we figured it must have been a loose/worn hose. I replaced the lines from under the door on back. I should note I had the fuel pump out too, and I had the pulled the EFI relay.
During re-assembly, I did make sure the pos/neg wire were connected properly on the pump, and I did make sure to plug the EFI relay back in. My fuel pump bracket is the type that has the main fuel supply and one return line. The other return line is located on the tank by the sending unit. You can't mess up the main supply line as it's 5/16" and the returns are 1/4". I went to start the truck last night and it would crank but not start. I haven't jumpered the pump yet, to see if it is indeed working. I will do that tonight.
Hopefully I will get a response to this question by that time. I need to know what return lines go where. Where does the return line from the fuel pump bracket go, and where does the return line from the tank go to?
I think one goes to the fuel pressure regulator and the other goes to the charcoal/evaporative canister. But which lines?
Thanks guys,

Last edited by Joyota; 12-12-2005 at 03:46 AM.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:10 AM
Contributing Member

The "Return Line" is the line that is hooked in with the fuel tank bracket, the other line is runs to the charcoal canister, you'll see where they run up the firewall.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:07 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you crank it long enough to prime the pump and purge the lines of any air?

Are you getting fuel flow/pressure at the injector? (Search for how to do this)
Old 12-09-2005, 12:50 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys. I will check to see which lines are connected where when I get home from work tonight. I'm going to jumper the fuel pump circuit first to see whether the pump is even working. Then, if it is, I'll move on to see if I'm getting fuel/pressure at the pressure regulator.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:13 AM

How did it turn out? Did you have the lines on right?
Old 12-11-2005, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member

FIXED!! At Last!! - WARNING - LONG POST!!

Well, after learning a few lessons, I finally got it all figured out and the truck is running like a top again.

When I got home, I checked my lines and determined that they were connected properly. I then jumpered terminals B+ and FP, only to hear total silence from the pump. So, I checked the fusible links, EFI and IGN fuses, EFI main relay, and circuit opening relay. Then it was time to check the pump. I put am ohmmeter across the + and - terminals of the pump. The reading was .001 ohms... Hmmm! I didn't think there should be continuity between the two, but I was wrong. I then checked the continuity of the wires attached to the pump bracket. They tested fine as well. Then I took the pump and bracket in the house, and hooked the pumps terminals up to my battery charger... Vvvvvv! It spun right up. Hmmm. So then I hooked the charger up to the terminals coming from the top of the bracket... Vvvv! Spun right up! Ok, so these wires are ok.

I then moved on to the wires coming from the harness. With the pump disconnected from the trucks harness, I jumpered pins B+ and FP. Then I went to the connector and checked the voltage (Side Note: I should have done this before checking all the fuses and relays). The connector showed 12 volts. So this connector was good... Wrong! I again plugged the pump into the harness and ran the test procedure again... Nothing! Wiggled the connector... Nothing!

I then looked at the connectors. The spade type female connectors on the trucks harness were spread out quite a bit, definately far enough to not get a connection from its mated connector, but not too far to get a reading from the meters leads. Here laid the problem. I replaced the truck harnesses connector with two others, hooked everything up (pump out of truck), and tested. It spun right up... Cool!

So I started to mount the tank, and after mounting half the bolts that hold the fuel pump bracket in, noticed that one of the leads on top of the bracket had broken off... Arghh! After trying to solder new terminals on, and failing numerous times, I finally drilled out one of the connections holes and screwed a new terminal on. I put a new terminal on the other connector using a bolt. I then installed new wires. So the bracket has all new wiring.

I tested the pump before mounting it back in the tank and it worked great! I then reconnected all the hoses, mounted the pump bracket, connected the pump wires, and started the truck with the tank still sitting on the ground (hey, I'm not that stupid). After the truck started, I ran it for a little while, and revved it up a few times just to make sure it wasn't going to cut out under load. It ran fine. I shut the truck off, finished mounting the tank, hooked up the filler neck, started the truck and took it for a ride. It runs beautiful!

---

Now what caused this whole ordeal to begin with? I smelled gas everytime I came to a stop, but every time I would look under the truck to find gas nowhere. It started getting worse and eventually I found a small amount of gas near the seam of the tank. While taking the tank off, both lines going into the fuel pump bracket twisted off (they were so corroded). My brother-in-law owns a radiator shop, where he also repairs fuel tanks. So, I took the tank and bracket there. We pumped 1 1/2 psi of air into the tank and it tested fine. He brazed new 5/16" and 1/4" copper lines to the top of the bracket and tested them for leaks. They tested fine too, so I thought I was home free.

I took the tank home, fully mounted it and tried to start the truck. That's where this thread starts.

Well, that's it. Heck of a story, huh?

As always, thanks for all your help guys!

Last edited by Joyota; 12-11-2005 at 07:59 PM.