Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

89 4runner sr5 4x4 automatic transmission/power issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 4runner sr5 4x4 automatic transmission/power issue

Hey everyone,

This is my first thread, as I recently discovered an issue in my 89 4runner. I have had it for a few months and have put about 500 miles on it in the city and short freeway drives (30 min on flat freeways) . Everything was running fine so I decided to take my gf and pup camping up in Tahoe. We live in Sac so we had the 8,000 feet to climb so I wont be doing this again until the issue is fixed.

its an 89 4runner auto trans, 4x4 sr5 3.0 v6 if this helps specify.

Once the climb started to get pretty steep the 4runner started shifting funny. It was almost like it didnt want to stay in 3rd (?) gear. so I would be bogged down in 4th gear (around 1.5k rpm) or in 2nd gear and almost redlining. When it would stay in 4th I couldnt go faster than 35 mph. Occasionally it would be in the correct gear but for the most part it was constantly shifting (no hard jerks) just had no idea what gear it needed to be in.

On the way home (2 days later) I was hoping the transmission might have just been hot and was acting up, for the most part it wasn't as bad coming home (although I took a different route and was going downhill most of the way) I put it in 4hi so that the front could maybe help take some pressure off the back axle but at times was still unsure what it wanted and the getting out of the basin was back to 35-40mph. Almost like it either had no power or the transmission is going out.

When I got home I tried to research this online and havent found any definitive answers. It appears it would either be the trans, the solenoid or fuel pump/filter. The last 30-45 min home was back on sacramento's fairly even freeways and had no problems shifting through the gears which makes me think that it isnt just the transmission going out. I have had an 89 jeep cherokee that I needed to replace the fuel pump on (the jeep would just die and need to be started again) and the 4runner isnt showing any of those symptoms so I dont believe it is the fuel pump. There are 270k on it so maybe worn down gears? the motor was replaced but idk about the tranny.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. I drove it to work today and you would never know there were any issues; so I guess this isnt an emergency but Ill be stuck in the city until this problem is figured out so I can hopefully make it back to tahoe to snowboard in the winter. Thanks for your time and help in this matter!
Old 08-07-2013, 07:21 AM

Anybody have any advice or insight to this?
Old 08-07-2013, 11:59 AM

How does it respond to a brake stand?

Many vehicles don't like long hills. Were you running the A/C? Did you try shifting it manually?

How are your plugs? What kind of compression have you got?
Old 08-07-2013, 03:29 PM

What size tires and have you changed the axel gearing?
Check the EGR system, If its stuck open a little it will make the engine sluggish.

Im not sure if the first gen 4R have the same OD and ECT switch, If they do, Turn OD off and ECT on.

8K' is pretty high and little O2 and that plays havic with EFI, I can tell the same affect starts up with mine when going over 3K'.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:06 PM

I have not done a break stand with it. I didnt want to intentionally abuse it.

No A/C when going up the hill. Update, I was driving yesterday on fairly flat freeway and it kept jumping between 3rd and 4th gear. No hard jerks, just wasnt sure what gear it wanted to be in.

The guy I bought from did a tune up before I got it, and I am not sure of my compression. Sorry!

I have 31x10.5x15 bfg all terrain. and stock gearing. I have 2 different switches for the ect and OD except for the OD always shows off on the dash so im hoping its just a fuse issue.

It started acting up before I made it to 8k. More like 3k it started acting up. (looks to be same for yours which makes me feel a little better