Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'89 4Runner + server rack + old pickup cap =...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 90runnner
engines got 234k on it and it would need to be trailered. i cant really promise you anything with this engine. it is all there, it does start up and run everytime... only problem is it keeps running, even witht he key off and out. pop the hood and press the stop button and it cuts off. worst case a new vacuum compressor, or it might just be vacuum lines cuz there are some that arent connected and all. just an offer if you're interested
Thanks very much for the offer. I left a message for my brother. Tentatively, YES, I will take the car. I think he'll trailer it for me for a reasonable fee. I'll update as soon as I know more. How's $100 for a finder's fee?

Thanks again,

Roy

Last edited by Rather Diesel; 07-31-2006 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool build! Do you have more info about the aux fuel tank? Does this fit where the spare tire used to be?
Old 07-31-2006, 04:40 PM

If you cut out the crossmember that holds the spare tire, the tank fits between the framerails with about 5" on each side. I am still fabbing my mounts, so I can't comment on effect on departure angle. I also shortened my body 5", so mine would be different anyway. They give the dimensions on the site.

http://www.galleria-e.com/cgi-bin/Co...Product/462301

It's a 27 gallon tank from a military Blazer. These are surplus tanks from Coleman's Surplus. It cost $25 plus $13 shipping to MD. There is a little surface rust outside, and a little on the inside.

HTH

Roy
Old 07-31-2006, 04:47 PM

Nice - it's only 9" tall. Are you having this just flow into your other tank or are you doing something more sophisticated? Does the tank have a pump in it and a guage sender?
Old 07-31-2006, 05:17 PM

The tank comes with no pump or hardware. I am setting mine up like this: (not completed)

Drill tank and weld in bung for 1/2" (I think) NPT hose barb. Drill on the side of the tank near the bottom-front. It will not need to face down.

Weld in drain valve a bung if desired.

Weld sending-unit hole shut. Add a breather hose outlet beside the fill inlet to match the original Toyota config.

Mount tank to the frame (only) with fill inlet facing passenger side. (don't want to turn around to fill #2 ) Leave space between tank and body for movement.

I added a second fuel door pocket to match the original. I added this behind the rear wheel. (photo above)

Route fill-inlet hose and tank-vent hose thru, around or under rear floor and frame as you see fit. This will be easier after tank is mounted, so position is exact. I peeled a small part of my floor up to make it easier to fab the steel tube.

Drop tank assembly, prime, paint, re-install

You will need a special fitting that screws into the DRAIN hole of the original fuel tank. This allows a barbed hose fitting to be screwed in to link the two tanks.

Install a fuel filter/w check-valve and a short piece of hose between the two tanks.

As the level drops in the main tank, the aux fuel tank will be emptying because it's higher than the OEM tank. The check valve will keep the OEM tank-fuel from draining back into the aux tank if parked on a steep hill.

I got my adapter from Wes @ Northwest Metals. It's sold with their dual tank kits, but if you tell them that a friend said you would sell them just the adapter, they will. Mine was $10 plus $10 shipping (BS) But little choice.

I haven't completed all this yet, so adjust instructions as needed. You can add the GM sender and gauge if you want to view levels separately.

Roy
Old 07-31-2006, 05:20 PM

Thanks a bunch for the info! What a great, unique build!

*subscribes*
Old 08-02-2006, 04:33 AM

Here is the fuel tank thread I started with.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...l+tanks+toyota

Roy
Old 08-04-2006, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

WOW! Really cool build she looks a bit like a Landy Defender w/ a high roof kit. Maybe you should put in a few narrow windows at the roof line so the pax can see out?
For tires why not try some Fulda military tread tires?
In Austrailia they sell these water heaters that work off heat exchangers on the exhaust.
Edit: Just saw the rest of your posts [stupid slow dial-up] I would'nt want to have all that weight from the big water tank up top and if you did have it up there in your climate area I would want to keep the H2O as cool as posible
[personally I hate the taste of warm water] so i'd paint the tank white.
If you reinforced the rear doors you could mount some carriers to the doors and then be able to use military style water tanks [the ones that look like jerry cans].
For suspension the way you're loading up I think you're going to overlaod the stock rear springs why not switch to a custom airbag suspension kit?
Either that or an auxilary airbag helper kit.
For rear cabin cooling what about one or two Marine vent fans? You can get them from just about any marine supply store IE.West Marine they are available as solar powered units so there would be no drain on the electrical system and they are usually weather tight when closed so no worries during hurricane evacs etc.
with a little work you could fab up a portable water purifier using some standard house hold goodies, I'll put up a seperate posting on here in a day or two once I flush out a few of the details in my noodle just now.
Great post.
All you need to do now is put your CB antenna on the front bumper and paint a big black UN on the doors.
Cheers Aviator

Last edited by aviator; 08-04-2006 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:05 AM

I think we have some of the same ideas. Somewhere in this thread, I mentioned using the stock springs with Firestone airbags. I chose this option because I never know what my payload may be at any given time.

I added a vent to the top of the rear body panel to aid in ventilation when the A/C is not running. Inside the vent, I mounted two 12v PC fans at 45 CFM each. That should keep the air moving nice (front to back) with the front windows cracked. That way, if the roof is loaded up, I can still have good ventilation. I just about have the fuel tank set-up finished as well.

I haven't really got to the plumbing and electrical yet, so I'm wide open there. I have my sink and 10-gallon tank. I am setting it up to have a secondary supply tank as well. I haven't decided on the size. I have a RV water filter bookmarked on eBay as well. I want to rig up an outside shower for sure.

I'll post some new pics tonight. Thanks for all the input.

Roy

Last edited by Rather Diesel; 08-04-2006 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rather Diesel
I decided to use 110v appliances with an inverter. I could run out of propane, the microwave is faster, and the fridge was $70 instead of $800 for a 12v. I was going to add an inverter anyway.

The 2nd fuel tank is mocked up, and I now need to route the new fuel fill neck. I should have the rest of the rear interior finished and trimmed in about a week or so. Only the rear upholstery will remain. I'm planning to finish all parts of the rear section in bright white, maybe even the vinyl upholstery.

A semi-truck vent will be placed over the back doors. I'm adding two 42-CFM PC fans to the vent as well. With the front windows cracked, it will pull a draft the full length of the interior.

Roy
Roy.

Can you post picks of how you route the filler neck for the second tank and let me know what you are using for the filler neck. Thanks.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:21 PM

I have the mounts attached and the skid plate supports in place. I'll be working on the filler neck this weekend (along with a bunch of other stuff). I'll be sure and get some photos as I go.

Roy
Old 08-04-2006, 06:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rather Diesel
I have the mounts attached and the skid plate supports in place. I'll be working on the filler neck this weekend (along with a bunch of other stuff). I'll be sure and get some photos as I go.

Roy
Thank you so much.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

That looks like a fun project! Looking good!
Old 08-05-2006, 06:51 PM

There will be a delay getting the fuel tank info to you. I tend to work all around the truck at one time, and I had a "brilliant" idea for the rear floor. Well, that took all day to figure out.

My uncle broke his hip (again), so I'm headed to Baltimore tomorrow to hang with him for a while. I'll be sure and document what I come up with.

I can draw a diagram to show how I mounted it if you are interested in that info.

Roy

Last edited by Rather Diesel; 08-05-2006 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:00 PM

Here is the 2nd fuel tank with the cage welded around it. I used 3/4" square tubing for the cage. The skid plate will be welded to this when I find some plate cheap. The skidplates will go up the sides as well. The tank is not welded to cage anywhere. It is sandwiched in the framing only.

Last edited by Rather Diesel; 08-06-2006 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:02 PM

Second fuel-door pocket to match the stock one. The rear body was cut off even with the front-most edge of the old taillamps.

Last edited by Rather Diesel; 08-06-2006 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:09 PM

In stock configuration, there is a 6" hump that the rear seat-bottoms rest on. This hump makes getting into the back from the front doors a pain in the butt. So, I removed the hump, and added a ramp from the front floor to the bed floor. Only 2/3 is plated because I need to fab around the stock fuel sending unit and tank "hump". This makes getting in the back much easier.

Old 08-06-2006, 02:11 PM

This was a lot more work than I thought it would be because of all the interlocking sheetmetal underneath. It needed to look right from the underside as well. Another shot:

Last edited by Rather Diesel; 08-06-2006 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:30 PM

Here is the original 22re. I disassembled it down to the shortblock because I was going to replace all the gaskets and timing set. I stripped the block down to bare metal and primed it with Rust Bullet. I also cleaned, stripped, primed and painted all the accessories and brackets. I had a machine shop pressure-test the head/valves, clean and plane the head surface. They also verified the head was straight and there were no cracks.

This is for sale if there's anyone near Maryland who is interested. It will need a timing cover and gear-set (grooves), head bolts and gaskets for re-assembly. It had 88,000 documented miles.

I decided to try and squeeze a Mercedes turbo-diesel into the 4Runner, so I won't be needing it.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:13 PM
Contributing Member

Damn you could eat off that engine! Hope the diesel looks as sweet. Keep me posted pls I'd like to know how you go about cramming that mercedes in I may need to repower mine in a few years. Aviator

Quick Reply: '89 4Runner + server rack + old pickup cap =...