Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

'89 4Runner + server rack + old pickup cap =...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 06:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see you found the thread junkie...
Just my 0.02 here but I was thinking if the oil pan is the problem why not build a custom flat sump like they use on race cars with a remote oil tank?
That might give you more room [and a way to cool the oil more efficiently too]...
Sorry for the partial hyjack RD...
Old 03-19-2008, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by aviator
I see you found the thread junkie...
I stayed up late last night reading it, too!!
Originally Posted by aviator
if the oil pan is the problem why not build a custom flat sump like they use on race cars with a remote oil tank?
That might give you more room [and a way to cool the oil more efficiently too]...
Stock oil cooler is MASSIVE, it feeds directly from the filter housing, which is also MASSIVE. I've searched online for pan modifications, as these motors are used extensively overseas in racing applications (big power) but as best as I can tell, either no one modifies them, or they do and don't talk about it.

I have learned though, most of the existing design is not only bullet proof, but well engineered and for good reason. I have found that it's better to make the vehicle suit the motor, and not vis-versa.
With some effort, I'm sure it could be done. I'll go back with some renewed interest, and look at some of the old motors we have in various states of dis-assembly, and see what the sump-pickup looks like and the oil filter housing, and get a better idea at how hard it would be to modify the entire pan and remote-relocate the oil filter.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:42 AM

OOOhhh... After looking at one of our junk motors, I remember why we totally ditched the idea of a oil pan remodel...

The pump is chain driven from the crank, cast aluminum pump housing, cast sump. Looks like a major PITA to try to modify it to do anything other than what it was meant to do. I'm sure that's why we decided it would be easier to modify the vehicle to accept the motor, and not visa versa. The sump does reach towards the "rear" of the steel pan though, so that does leave some room for modifying the bottom pan, to clear x-members or linkage or diffs. I don't have the skill for attempting to weld the cast alum upper pan, so it's a project I wouldn't attack on my own, reguardless.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:41 PM

Whoops, sorry I missed the replies! Thanks everyone for your input and offers of advise and assistance.

I actually started painting the truck yesterday. As to the engine swap, you are correct in that the oil pump/pickup is the big hurdle. I have a second pump here now, and I'm either going to cut and reverse the direction of the pickup or machine a new oil pump from scratch. The fact that it's cast aluminum is the issue. The non-turbo model uses a traditional pickup-tube, so that's easy to modify.

After much deliberation (and staring at the engine) I will NOT move the oil filter housing. It looks like it will clear fine when the oil pan issue is resolved.

I'm rebuilding the bumpers next, and then I'll finish with the engine swap and exhaust, etc.

Thanks again everyone.

Roy
Old 10-09-2008, 05:09 AM

Are there any updates?
Old 10-09-2008, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by riddarunner
Are there any updates?
Lots of updates. I decided to go a different route with the body. I just wasn't happy with how it was turning out.

More here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=645413