86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

89 3.0 Distributor eating itself

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 3.0 Distributor eating itself

My distributor appears to be eating the pickup coil. See linked photo. Anyone ever seen this happen B4? Causes and remedies? thanks

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6724456
Old 09-27-2007, 01:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
check for play in the distributor shaft
Old 09-27-2007, 03:49 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yah, Mines been doing that for sometime now, Just lately Im even getting oil in it.

Peace of mind, Get another one now and install it if you intend on keeping it, Its cheap and simple.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by ^VooDoo^
Yah, Mines been doing that for sometime now, Just lately Im even getting oil in it.

Peace of mind, Get another one now and install it if you intend on keeping it, Its cheap and simple.
This one is fried. I pulled it out today and it has seized. I ordered another one from fleabay last night. Since it was no longer turning with the cam, I have no reference for installing the new one. I pulled one from a donor motor to be replaced with the one on order but i can't get the timing right. Anybody know how to install a distributor without reference marks? or a pic?

Thanks All.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:53 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
To install the distributor with no reference mark, you will have to set the #1 cylinder to TDC. Do not just turn the crank until the timing mark says 0* becaust there is a chance it will be 180* off, meaning that the #1 cylinder is at the top of the exhaust stroke. You want it at the top of the compression stroke. The best way is to pull the valve cover so you can watch the valves and rotate the engine until both valves on the #1 cylinder are closed. Then rotate the engine to get the timing marks to 0*. Install the distributor with the rotor pointing towards the wire that goes to the #1 cylinder. Put everything back together, start the engine and set the timing with a timing light.

Another way to get the #1 cylinder to TDC is to have someone turn the engine while you put your finger over the spark plug hole of the #1 cylinder. You will feel the compression when it gets near TDC. You can set it to 0* using the timing marks at that point.

Last edited by the_supernerd; 09-27-2007 at 11:56 PM.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by the_supernerd
To install the distributor with no reference mark, you will have to set the #1 cylinder to TDC. Do not just turn the crank until the timing mark says 0* becaust there is a chance it will be 180* off, meaning that the #1 cylinder is at the top of the exhaust stroke. You want it at the top of the compression stroke. The best way is to pull the valve cover so you can watch the valves and rotate the engine until both valves on the #1 cylinder are closed. Then rotate the engine to get the timing marks to 0*. Install the distributor with the rotor pointing towards the wire that goes to the #1 cylinder. Put everything back together, start the engine and set the timing with a timing light.

Another way to get the #1 cylinder to TDC is to have someone turn the engine while you put your finger over the spark plug hole of the #1 cylinder. You will feel the compression when it gets near TDC. You can set it to 0* using the timing marks at that point.
Thanks got it on the 2nd Try!