Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

'88 pickup sway bars

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'88 pickup sway bars

I'm new here (just found out about this board recently), but have had my '88 pickup since new (22R, 2WD, short bed, 4 speed el cheapo model, 175K miles). I searched the old postings, but still have a few questions about sway bars.

It looks like my truck has a front sway bar, but not a rear one? Is this correct, and if so, does adding a rear sway bar help handling? If I go off road, it's only on dirt and nothing too challenging. I drive a lot on roads through the canyons by where I live

A lot of old posts recommend removing sway bars. Is this just for off roading, or is there some other reason?

To add a rear sway bar (assuming I really don't have one), what is the best way to go? Find one made for my truck, or is there one from some other model Toyota truck I could pick up at a wrecker and install?

Thanks
Old 01-22-2007, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think most guys (including myself) pull the front swaybar for offroad (more articulation in the suspension) and for access to the CV shafts on a 4X4. Since you are 2wd I would leave it as it is helps with body roll when cornering.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Flash319
I think most guys (including myself) pull the front swaybar for offroad (more articulation in the suspension) and for access to the CV shafts on a 4X4. Since you are 2wd I would leave it as it is helps with body roll when cornering.
Now it makes sense why guys remove the sway bar

What about for the rear? I didn't see any sway bar when I looked under there. Did these trucks come with a rear sway bar? Was it on the higher end models? Does it help handling? If yes, any suggestions on where to get one, or which one to get? Do the newer models, like Tacomas have sway bars that would fit if I could find the parts from a local wrecker?
Old 01-22-2007, 05:29 PM

why in the world do you want a rear swaybar? are you lowing it? no Toyota truck came with a rear swaybar, a rear leaf spring setup is a fairly ridged setup anyway so no real need.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bear80
why in the world do you want a rear swaybar? are you lowing it? no Toyota truck came with a rear swaybar, a rear leaf spring setup is a fairly ridged setup anyway so no real need.
No plans to lower it, only thinking about a rear sway bar to improve handling on the road. I noticed an improvement in handling the last time I replaced tires going from 14" to 15" rims and wider tires. So I started thinking about what else I could do to make the truck handle better. I saw ads for rear sway bars and was wondering if anyone here tried them and how it worked out. Lots of canyon roads around here that I drive frequently just to get places, so better handling would be a welcome improvement
Old 01-22-2007, 08:26 PM

A rear swaybar will improve your handling.
A nice set of shocks like bilsteins will also improve your handling.
Replacing your old worn bushings with energy suspension pieces will improve your handling.
Addco probably makes one for your truck (i think im going to get one for mine)...
and to those people who say, who needs sway bars, ever try making an evasive manouver in your lifted vehicle? downright scary, just get some quick disconnect's if you want your articulation back.
Needless to say, for a pure street truck, i'd get sway bars,
Old 01-23-2007, 05:43 PM

I had performance front and rear swaybars and gas shocks on my 90 2wd and it handled great. I had 235/60x15 tires on 8 inch wheels and that thing is like a slot car, very fun to drive!

I have since given it to my father in law and he just tools around in it.

Look in some of the 2wd mini truck mags, they usually have ads for suspension stuff. Don't lower it, just add the bars and shocks.

Have fun!
Robb
The following users liked this post:
MichaelKLerner (01-06-2022)
Old 01-23-2007, 06:05 PM

I've added Addco front and rear sway bars to my rig, and the difference is incredible. The rear sway bar is only a minor improvement but the front bar will stiffen your ride up dramatically. Anti-sway bars are the best place to start for on-road handling for this vehicle, period.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Greg_Canada
and to those people who say, who needs sway bars, ever try making an evasive manouver in your lifted vehicle? downright scary, just get some quick disconnect's if you want your articulation back.
Needless to say, for a pure street truck, i'd get sway bars,
HAHAHA, I've autocrossed my truck with NO sway bar!! Give it had all new poly/graphite bushings, 25mm t-bar and new rear leafs. BUT it was lifted 2" and ran 31x10.50's on the stock alloys. yeah my times didn't beat anyone but I still never had any hint that I'd roll while pushing through a turn.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i dont run a front sway bar. You have to drop it to make it work with BJ spacers and the bracket screws are all but one broken off in the frame (rusted).

aftermarket T-bars ... never had rolling problems even on the freeway making sharp corners.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bear80
Actually my 86 FSM shows some models with rear sway bars and has removal procedures.

The Jeep Cherokee had rear sway bars till 97. Jeep then realized they aren't needed on the unibody vehicle in the rear.