Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'88 3VZE Pickup Fan Belt Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '88 3VZE Pickup Fan Belt Replacement

Hello,
I am new here as I just purchased an '88 Yota 4X4 Pickup 3VZE. I live in Winter Park, Colorado. I'm a Wrangler guy so please go easy on me.
I purchased this pickup from a friend of mine with 304k miles for $500. It runs... but will need some work, and I love to work on vehicles. This truck will be used primarily for mining functions and I'd like to keep it running well. The sticky at the top of this forum is EXTREMELY helpful and I am eternally grateful for that. At this moment I have the hood up and would like to replace the fan belts. Things are pretty tight at the front of this engine compartment and I am not sure what the most efficient procedure is to approach the belt(s) replacement. I am hoping that I will not have to drain and remove the radiator, but it kinda looks that way at first glance.
I could use any sage advice to help with this process. Thanks!
Old 07-09-2017, 09:48 AM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
You shouldn't need to remove anything other than the fan shroud if you have one. You can slip belts between the radiator and around the fan to connect them to the pulley and accessory. Just make sure it's done in the correct order if you are changing multiple belts.

Edit: If you have a fan shroud, you just want to loosen it to give you room to finagle the belts on. You won't be able to completely remove it without more unnecessary work for what you're doing.

Last edited by mholme; 07-09-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:10 AM

Thanks. I have removed the four bolts that hold the fan shroud. The shroud is free but difficult to 'remove' due to the close quarters relationship between the fan and radiator. The shroud is free enough now to do as you suggested and I will give it a go! Just need to get friendly with the belt tensioning system and should be good. I just sprayed the tension bolts with PB and will let them simmer for a bit.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:24 AM

Thanks again, everything went well. Once the shroud was loosed it was easy to manipulate the belts into place. Soon after the beast started... the fan/alt belt started screaming and smoking so it looks like I get to do it again after the new alternator arrives today.