Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

88 22re running rough and throwing codes 25 and 26

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 88 22re running rough and throwing codes 25 and 26

hello, this is my first time posting a thread in the forum but i have used it many times and it is a great help, however i can't seem to find any threads with the same issues I'm have with my 22re at the moment. my truck was running great and then i had to replace the starter, battery, and clean all the connections for them. it ran fine for awhile after that but then started to run rough, when i tried to give it more throttle it wouldn't excelerate and the engine seemed to be hesitant and stumbling. the problem went away after about 10 miles the check engine light went off and it was back to normal. i checked the codes and it was throwing both codes 25 and 26. i left the battery unplugged and the codes went away but after running the truck for awhile the light came back on and the truck wasn't running right again but this time was throwing code 52. it also went away and the truck ran fine again for awhile. the guy at the auto parts store gave me the wrong sized battery so i put the right one in this morning and it has been running rough with no power again and throwing codes 25 and 26 again also. I've done some tests but can't seem to find what might be causing the problem. has anyone else had an issue like this? or has any good ideas on what to check next? please help!
Old 11-01-2016, 12:34 PM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
battery size won't have any effect on the code problem.

did you clean all of the ground points? i think that there are at least three ground wires on these trucks, i'd make sure that they are all there.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:47 PM

thanks for the reply! I've been doing some tests on the truck but still have yet to fix the problem. would you happen to know where the other ground points are? also an update, i find if i ease into the throttle the rpms will climb and the engine will run like normal but if i try to give it throttle quickly it will cut out very bad when the truck is parked and under no load.

any help is greatly appreciated! thanks!
Old 11-06-2016, 02:49 PM

i found and cleaned all ground locations thoroughly. at first it seemed like nothing had changed but after running it for awhile the issue when away and hasn't came back in about 100 miles. i found a spot on my o2 sensor where one of the wires was broken and had been spliced back together. i feel that if the issue comes back and it wasn't the grounds that this may be the source of my problems because the crimp and seal could be affect the voltage.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:03 PM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
congrats on the fix, and thx for posting feedback on what fixed it.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:06 PM

Had the exact same codes. Did a multi meter test on the O2 sensor and found that it wasn't working. Cleared code.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
25 and 26 is codes for to lean and to rich. Usually is the O2 sensor circuit. I just replace the sensor and so far have gotten them fixed that way. Most have not been changed from my experience. On an 88 and newer I have never gotten the sensor out. I always have an exhaust shop just replace the bung and leave the old sensor in the pipe. It is about standard replacement for them now a days.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:54 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
...i found a spot on my o2 sensor where one of the wires was broken and had been spliced back together. i feel that if the issue comes back and it wasn't the grounds that this may be the source of my problems because the crimp and seal could be affect the voltage.
I would not trust other people's solder or crimp job. If u see a suspect part and the code points to it, why not go ahead and inspect or redo that splice, rather than wait for the problem to come back?
Old 11-09-2016, 04:02 AM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
I would not trust other people's solder or crimp job. If u see a suspect part and the code points to it, why not go ahead and inspect or redo that splice, rather than wait for the problem to come back?
well, that's ironic. i'd trust your solder/crimp/wiring work over my own any time.