86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'88 22RE coolant leak help

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'88 22RE coolant leak help

My friend has an '88 4runner with the 22RE. Kind of a weird problem that I thought I would bounce off you guys. At one time, think it was towards the beginning of this issue it puked out some coolant into the cab on the passenger side. Hasn't done that again. Now it is leaking somewhere under the intake manifold on the passenger side, up high.It is also leaking at the upper radiator hose.

Anyone have any ideas? It runs good otherwise, burns a little oil but it's done that. Oil is clean, no milky-ness.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:53 AM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
There are multiple places that coolant might leak from the intake manifold side of the engine.

Its' your eyes that can find the leak, and your hands that might repair it.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by millball
There are multiple places that coolant might leak from the intake manifold side of the engine.

Its' your eyes that can find the leak, and your hands that might repair it.
I posted hoping someone had the same symptoms in the past. I think it's odd that coolant leaked into the cabin, stopped on it's own and is now leaking in the motor and radiator hose. All without touching anything.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:45 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by odonekanobe
I posted hoping someone had the same symptoms in the past. I think it's odd that coolant leaked into the cabin, stopped on it's own and is now leaking in the motor and radiator hose. All without touching anything.
It may well be that one leak does'nt have anything to do with the other.

Coolant inside the cab will likely have something to do with a leak in the heater core.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:48 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
If the valve wasnt moved there is debris slowly clogging up the lines, progressing backwards to the block and pump, reverse flush the heater system, drain it via the hard line to prevent it from reaching the block.

google will turn up a flow diagram of the coolant system
Old 01-31-2017, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
If the valve wasnt moved there is debris slowly clogging up the lines, progressing backwards to the block and pump, reverse flush the heater system, drain it via the hard line to prevent it from reaching the block.

google will turn up a flow diagram of the coolant system
That's an interesting thought. Definitely worth exploring. When you say drain it via the hard line are you talking about the outlets to the radiator? Thank you.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:40 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
No the hardline. So it doesn't pump it back into the block.

Locate the valve on the firewall, and trace the hoses it should be apparent, to your left there is a Hardline that wraps around the engine and enters the block via the lower intake.

Could just be a plugged heater core, whatever you find the only solution is to dig into the system and verify flow, flush and or retighten clamps
Old 02-02-2017, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
No the hardline. So it doesn't pump it back into the block.

Locate the valve on the firewall, and trace the hoses it should be apparent, to your left there is a Hardline that wraps around the engine and enters the block via the lower intake.

Could just be a plugged heater core, whatever you find the only solution is to dig into the system and verify flow, flush and or retighten clamps
Ok thanks.