86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

87 Window problems-help plz

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 Window problems-help plz

Got an 87 Toyota 4x4, manual windows. Window wont go down, the crank just spins. As we speak I have the door panel off, just trying to find out what to do next. I have searched and I didn't return anything. I tried a different crank and it just spins as well. The crank spins and spins and spins, but the window doesnt move. But you can push the window down. It also, slowly falls down by itself. Help please?!?!? What's my next step to getting whatever I need to get out. Thanks
Old 12-09-2011, 10:44 AM

Trying to work on it right now, any help would be great guys. Please....
Old 12-09-2011, 10:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds like your regulator has stripped. usually it strips in only one small section of the "big gear", so it's like a dead-spot when you crank. you might not be able to see the worn teeth if the mechanism is right in that spot. new regulators are available cheap as aftermarket parts.

use a wedge to hold the glass in the up position, unbolt from the reg, and remove the reg. stick in a newbie and reassemble.

last tip: make sure you test fit the crank itself doesn't bother your knee in up and down positions, before replacing the c-clip holding it on.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:48 AM

Is it possible for you to post a diagram or image of where that is at? Looking at the door, I see a thing (almost a bar) that slides back when the window is pushed down and forwards when it is pulled up. Then, where the crank was, I see 3 bolts, look to be roughly 10 mm, holding something in behind the door skin? There is also one bolt far to the right, towards the cab, that looks like it holds a vertical slider thing in place? The horizontal one has 2 bolts, and the vertical 1, then 3 near where the crank was. So, which do I undo, just the 3? Or all? Thanks so much for the quick reply btw

Last edited by TJ__Sanders; 12-09-2011 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Looked at the panel
Old 12-09-2011, 11:25 AM

this is the thing you're trying to remove:

there's different regs for with vent wing, or without, check rockauto.com for good images. that's there this one came from.

sometimes the reg fails also, when a screw breaks, or the pin that slides in the track comes out. very rarely, you can tweak and repair it. but they're not expensive, you just may have to special order it.

Last edited by tj884Rdlx; 12-09-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
this is the thing you're trying to remove:

there's different regs for with vent wing, or without, check rockauto.com for good images. that's there this one came from.

sometimes the reg fails also, when a screw breaks, or the pin that slides in the track comes out. very rarely, you can tweak and repair it. but they're not expensive, you just may have to special order it.
Ok, I got it all torn apart, but I can not get it to let go of the window. Is there a hidden bolt? Or a clip or something? I have the regulator sliding back and forth at will and I have the part the crank goes on moving around, but I can not get it to seperate from the window track (maybe?), the vertical part close to the cab. Non vent window truck. Just need to find that hidden part or whatever it is and I'll be golden.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
should be 2 10mm holding the window bracket to the regulator, you can see the holes where they would go in the pic above. Its the top bar, not the bottom short one.

At least I think thats what your talking about

If that's not it, the window will have a bracket attached to the bottom of it. That bracket connects to the regulator one way or another ie screws or bolts, it's been awhile, just take a gander around the bottom of the window and you will figure it out!

Last edited by OrRunner; 12-09-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by OrRunner
should be 2 10mm holding the window bracket to the regulator, you can see the holes where they would go in the pic above. Its the top bar, not the bottom short one.

At least I think thats what your talking about
Are the bolts on the arm of the "X" in the pic above? Or in the empty holes in the top horizontal bar? Either way, how do you even get up there? Just have to undo it without being able to see it or can you drop it some how?
Old 12-09-2011, 01:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TJ__Sanders
Are the bolts on the arm of the "X" in the pic above? Or in the empty holes in the top horizontal bar? Either way, how do you even get up there? Just have to undo it without being able to see it or can you drop it some how?
should be empty holes in top bar. Did you remove your door panel? If not, do that and you will have more access, and you may have to manully move the window up or down to where you can see the bolts.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by OrRunner
should be empty holes in top bar. Did you remove your door panel? If not, do that and you will have more access, and you may have to manully move the window up or down to where you can see the bolts.
See, this is where I'm coming into problems. The other guy said pin the window so it wouldn't move. But your saying to lower it? I just don't understand where the last 2 bolts are and no amount of picture seems to be showing me. Lol. I can't believe that there isn't a write up or DIY for this. Seems to be pretty common from other posts I found.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:31 AM

Bumppp. Please help, still working on the problem of getting the regulator released
Old 12-10-2011, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a link to a parts break down to front door window regulator on a 87 standard cab truck, shows a bolt in the back of the upper track maybe that's the bolt holding you up, good luck :}

http://www.utoyot8.com/FullImage.asp...nfo=(8308-8903)

Last edited by john4wd; 12-10-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:52 AM

oh, sorry, i left work before you were done.

yeah i guess you do have to unbolt the window from the regulator first, before using the wedge to keep the glass from dropping in on you.

hope that you got it done by now!
Old 12-11-2011, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
oh, sorry, i left work before you were done.

yeah i guess you do have to unbolt the window from the regulator first, before using the wedge to keep the glass from dropping in on you.

hope that you got it done by now!
haha. it's all good man. I felt around after the gentleman above posted that diagram and felt two more bolts I couldn't see. Got them with a wrench, wedged the window and pulled it out. Now I have just have to order a new regulator, I am not going Toyota factory, can't afford it, so any brand preferences? Dorman? Whatever random brand Advance Auto Sells? lol. Can order it from RockAuto or order it from Advance about a half mile up the road. Thanks for sticking through this guys and helping out so much.

Edit: Looks like the problem is the gears on the part that gets cranked. The big semi circle gear. About 5 of the gears look good, the rest are completely blunted and the teeth are shiny from being eaten somehow.

Last edited by TJ__Sanders; 12-11-2011 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Source of Problem
Old 12-11-2011, 08:15 PM

http://www.utoyot8.com/FullImage.asp...nfo=(8308-8903) hers a link to help.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I have one for an 87 4runner, passengers side, with vent window, in great shape. PM me if interested
Old 12-11-2011, 11:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm happy I could help you :} I hope you get a good regulator :}
Old 12-12-2011, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by TJ__Sanders
haha. it's all good man. I felt around after the gentleman above posted that diagram and felt two more bolts I couldn't see. Got them with a wrench, wedged the window and pulled it out. Now I have just have to order a new regulator, I am not going Toyota factory, can't afford it, so any brand preferences? Dorman? Whatever random brand Advance Auto Sells? lol. Can order it from RockAuto or order it from Advance about a half mile up the road. Thanks for sticking through this guys and helping out so much.

Edit: Looks like the problem is the gears on the part that gets cranked. The big semi circle gear. About 5 of the gears look good, the rest are completely blunted and the teeth are shiny from being eaten somehow.

i doubt it matters which brand. they're all made of recycled tuna cans and matchbox cars or something. glad to hear you got it worked out!
Old 12-12-2011, 10:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
If you want to buy mine, let me know - it's just sitting in a box in my garage - in really great shape. Check out my old "for sale" thread here from a year ago (I still have all these parts - no one bit):

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f109...-parts-224937/

(toward the bottom of the page)

Just need to make sure it's a passenger side window, and that you have the vent triangle little window on your door and I think it should fit.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hello TJ, I am guessing before it stripped it was really difficlut to roll up and down. Probably nothing was out of track. Just the window guides were really dry casuing alot of friction.

Its a little late now, but for the other side and for the future, use some Silicon Spray for the tracks. You can go to my 91st post on my 88 rebuild for a good pic and things to do to fix this problem. It makes a BIG difference.