86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

87 4runner Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 4runner Problems

I bought a 87 4runner that was sitting for 3 years do to a broke flywheel. well i fixed that took it down the road and started missing well after Diagnose to number 2 injector , so pulled the injectors and sure enough number two injector was stoped up well i cleaned it out put it all back togther started it up and ran smooth Or so i thought.. ran down the road 5 miles all good so pulled in driveway and wont ide an it is gas fouling bad its diffently flooding ive checked all vacum lines an connectors Twice ... Any ides? adivice?
Old 06-22-2011, 05:32 PM

Little more info, no codes it will not idle if given gas it revs up fine pulled plugs all for soaked in gas
Old 06-22-2011, 06:13 PM

Try checking the timing. Make sure the distributor is tight. Since it was sitting for so long you might want to change your fuel filter as well.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when it ran did it run good? or was it acting up? lack of power? running crappy?

was it idleing before you fixed the #2 injector. if so you might have messed with something
Old 06-22-2011, 06:30 PM

After unstopping number two injector and clean other three it ran Luke a Champ but after full power after 5 mile drive it won't idle all four plugs soaked in fuel can let it sit get it started can take it down the road no problems just at idle it's flooding out
Old 06-22-2011, 06:31 PM

Timing was good an fist tight can't keep running ar idle enough to check again
Old 06-22-2011, 06:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so it wont idle but can you start it and hold it at a higher RPM range?
Old 06-22-2011, 06:36 PM

.....or maybe, simply bad gas? You said it sat for 3 years.....
Old 06-22-2011, 07:11 PM

Trash in all the injectors? Pressure regulator bad?
Old 06-22-2011, 07:26 PM

Cleaned all 4 injectors screens 1st thing I did was drain old gas wasn't much an new gas filter,

Yes when it starts you can rev it up to any rpm range above 2000rmp anything under that starts to flood out seems every time I try it's getting worse harder an harder to start because of the flooding just came in checked cold start injector not stuck open or leaking checked mass Door not stuck pulled vacuum off fuel presure reg and no gas in vacuum line
Old 06-23-2011, 04:02 AM

I'm going to try to locate a scanner today so I can see what the temp sensor is reading and o2 sensor after that I give up, I noticed I was having to put a unusual amour of pressure to get it stop when it was running so I'm going to plug off the booster an check that too. But I haven't drove it enough to no if that's the norm with 32,s on it or not
Old 06-23-2011, 08:01 AM

My first guess would be a vacuum leak somewhere. Those little hoses can crack and sometimes look fine. Did you try taking a can of carb cleaner and with the engine running spraying the rubber vacuum lines and around the intake gaskets to see if the idle/rpm changes? If it changes/goes up in rpm you have a vacuum leak. If it sat for 3 years it is a good possibility one or more lines dry-rotted and has small hard to see cracks in them.
Just another thought is the EGR may be stuck but not very likely. It will cause drive ability issues also.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:15 AM

I would say that there is probably bad gas in the entire system, flushing more and more garbage into the system as you keep trying it.
Drop the tank or pump it out completely.
Change the Fuel Pump sock - probably full of sludge.
Change the Fuel Filter, and be sure to blow out the fuel lines at the same time.
Remove the plenum, Injector rails, and injectors. Send injectors out for cleaning, and clean out all rail lines and connection hoses. Order new line seals (copper gaskets) and reseal all the lines. New plenum gasket.
Put 10 gallons of gas into the tank after dropping in a full bottle of Sea Foam.
Start it up.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:33 PM

And the mystery gets worse lol um ok can't get it to start now so put a noid lite on injectors no pulsing dead nothing while cranking . Put it on cold start injector it stays on with no pulsing while cranking that's my flood so what's could cause this???
Old 06-23-2011, 05:46 PM

I would suggest a factory manual (you can search on this site for links to a download) and use the diagnostic check steps for "no start". This way you can get to the bottom of the situation. A good digital voltmeter and alligator clips with "bed of nails" will come in handy.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:05 PM

I'm thinking a stick of kaboom!!!!!
Old 06-23-2011, 08:24 PM

Update 12v to injectors Checked signal wires to ECM if I ground signal wire I can get injectors to pulse while doing it. So here's my question I'm used to newer models that have a crank sensor that triggers ECM to send signal to injectors well what on this motors tells ECM to send signal coil? Something in dist? How do I diagnose an test?
Old 06-24-2011, 11:31 AM

Luckily I just got hold of a ECM, ignitor, an mass air flow going to swap then out one at a time.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:36 PM

Puter had no effect stile no injector pulse
Old 06-24-2011, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by 93toyrunner2
I would say that there is probably bad gas in the entire system, flushing more and more garbage into the system as you keep trying it.
Drop the tank or pump it out completely.
Change the Fuel Pump sock - probably full of sludge.
Change the Fuel Filter, and be sure to blow out the fuel lines at the same time.
Remove the plenum, Injector rails, and injectors. Send injectors out for cleaning, and clean out all rail lines and connection hoses. Order new line seals (copper gaskets) and reseal all the lines. New plenum gasket.
Put 10 gallons of gas into the tank after dropping in a full bottle of Sea Foam.
Start it up.
Id do this before doing anything else. I think I read that gas starts going bad after 90 days so 3 years im guessing is pretty much useless plus its probably clogging up your lines and filters

Quick Reply: 87 4runner Problems