Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 4Runner Air conditioner not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 87 4Runner Air conditioner not working

So my wife was driving the 4Runner and she said the A/C just went out and made a sould like a tire goi ng flat, like a hissing sound.

I checked the fuse behind the glovebox and it looks fine, I even cleaned the contocts hoping that would fix it but it didn't. I have a flex-a-lite electric fan hooked up to the A/C and it is not comming on so I know I am not getting power to the compressor. I checked for any visible signs of leaks but I saw nothing that stood out. I was wondering if perhaps there is a relay that might have gone bad? Does anyone have any ideas?

Oh and I have been running it since I got it with no problems so I know it works and really well before this

Thanks in advance
Old 07-12-2007, 06:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would first check that electric fan--if it failed while the AC was being operated, that would cause your AC system to run hot and over-pressurize which would blow out the pressure plug on your dryer/receiver (the hissing noise!).

If you fan works, does the blower inside the truck work? If not you may have blown the AC fuse. Other possible causes for electrical failure include a faulty AC switch, faulty blower motor or a wiring short--check the wires from the magnetic clutch on the compressor to see if they are worn, or disconnected.

If all of those are working, that hissing noise was most likely your refrigerant leaving your AC system. You said you think you are not getting power to your compressor but if you lost all of your refrigerant, the low-pressure shut off valve will keep the compressor from operating. This prevents the compressor from being damaged.

Start the truck, then look under the hood at the pulley turning on the front of the compressor--the magnetic clutch (flat plate on the front of the pulley) should not be turning. While the engine is running, have someone turn on the AC. The clutch should engage and spin with the pulley. If it doesn't, your system too low on refrigerant to operate.

If the clutch does operate, look at the sight glass that is usually near your receiver/dryer. If you see bubbles in the glass, the system is low on refrigerant and you have a leak that needs to be fixed.

There are so many areas for an AC system to leak that it is often difficult to find just by looking. If you have a vacuum pump to evacuate your system you can pull a vacuum and see if it holds. If it doesn't you have a leak.

Hope this rambling post helps get you started on finding it--but there are many more possibilities. AZ with no AC= BAD!
Old 07-12-2007, 08:35 PM

thanks ROCK LIZARD that at least gives me a place to start and ALOT more knowledge on my A/C
Old 07-15-2007, 09:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any luck finding your problem?
Old 05-11-2010, 05:05 AM

Okay so I never got around to solving this AC problem. I moved to Flagstaff and just didnt need it. Well now I am back in the hot parts of AZ and need to finally fix this problem.

I did a complete engine rebuild and didnt unhook the compressor but I did notice that I have a wire that is not hooked up.

Here is the pic I snapped this morning, it comes from the compressor and has a white connector that isnt connected to anything. Where does this plug in? I have circled that connector in question and put a green line on the pic to make it easier to see.

I have looked at many other pics on the forum and others look like it plugs into the harness near the #1 injector, I do not have a free wire in that location. I have looked everywhere and the only wire I can find is one that is missing a plug, that one is BLACK/GREEN.

The blue wire splice was used for my electric fan so I'm thinking that this should be a "powered" line.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by sdstud212001; 05-11-2010 at 06:20 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
well it's a little different than the next gen 22re and AC system, like was on my 91

with it, there was a plug right at the compressor; you can see it in this pic, and the unplugged wire labeled as "AC"

Name:  IMG_2784800x600.jpg
Views: 2221
Size:  107.5 KB

and that wire tied into the harness that runs right to the fuse box under the hood; I had to tap into that for the kick-on for my e-fan

I'll have to look and see if I can find a better pic though

is your electric fan working like it's suppose to when you turn the AC on?
Old 05-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
as a matter of fact, this is how I tied into that fan clutch signal wire for the e-fan; I popped the fuse box open to replace the alt fuse, and while I was in there, I probed around and found the wire to the AC clutch inside the fuse box, and spliced into it in there, so all I had was the wire coming out of the fuse box that I had to bring to the fan control module

Name:  IMG_3558800x600.jpg
Views: 1593
Size:  83.5 KB
Old 05-11-2010, 12:30 PM

thanks bleeder!

the electric fan dosen't kick on right now because there is no power to the wire that goes to the A/C compressor. This is the exact pic I was looking at to try to figure out if the green/black wire is supposed to be hooked up. But the fan works when the temp triggers it.

I have looked at the harness and I DO NOT have a wire exiting the harness where yours does. I can take a pic of the wire that I found and post it if that helps.

When I hit the a/c button the light turns green if the fan is on, I don't get power at the green and black wire. And when I use a test lamp at the white connector going to the compressor I get the light to turn on if I connect the other end to power, is that suppose to be a ground or power going to the compressor?
Old 05-11-2010, 12:31 PM

Oh I see! the wire could be missing because it comes from the fuse panel in the hood?