Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

87 4-Runner gets a 22RE to 3.4 swap - auto trans

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 07:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by slater442w30
... and where is this 3.4 swap page? I couldnt find it.
It is kind of hard to find:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160/
Old 01-15-2008, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also forgot some transmission info, the tacoma and 4-runner automatic transmission out of the 3.4 trucks has the dipstick on the passenger side of the pan and the driveshaft wont clear it at all, you need a T-100 pan, filter, and filter mount on the bottom of the valve body to make the pan fit right, then I had to customize the dipstick tube to clear the exhaust and bolt back up to the block, if I had to do it again I would have made the exhaust flange up higher on the pipe and swept towards the firewall to clear stuff easier. I did try to get a hot-rod style flexible dipstick and tube but they dont make one that bolts into the pan, all I could find were made for certain pans (c4, c6, th350 etc) and would have been too much work and might have leaked in the end.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:59 PM

I know its been a while, I have been nickel and diming this thing together 200 dollars at a time, all the cheap stuff is done, gotta sell more junk to support my habbit I have the exhaust completely done now, I tucked the Cat in the frame pretty high, not too close to anything but the thieves will have a lot more fun trying to get to it I also got my Skys transfer case brake installed, I like it better than the allpro unit on my other project, both are nice, I just like the style and strength of this one better. Also got my shiny new shaft in there....you like my shaft?? you wanna see my shaft dont you??? its long and black!!!:eek:

Old 02-23-2008, 04:24 PM

Here is the exhaust, I wll re-install it tonight after I finish the skys rear disk brakes. Notice the bung for the 02 sensor, I had to cut it off the stock pipe and weld it onto the new pipe since I have not found a place that sells them. I am using the dynomax muffler that was on the 97 4-runner I got the engine out of, I have a flowmaster on my other 3.4 swap truck and it is really loud and sounds dumb.

Here is the skys brackets, the calipers I was told work off 79 and newer Gm midsize cars with metric brakes, my parts house lied to me, they need to be off 81-88 cutlass regal monte carlo malibu rear wheel drive metric, when you order calipers, just tell the parts monkey to give you 85 monte carlo front calipers and brake pads and brake hoses. The first pic shows the wrong caliper, way too big.

On the monte carlo caliper there will be this little nub for the caliper to fit into on the monte carlo, you dont need this and it is in the way, grind it down or your calipers wont fit on the skys brackets. Also I ground down the side where the hose bolts on so I could run the hose straight off the caliper right onto the rear axle tube so the hose wont have to bend.

First thing, remove the rear drums and brakes, then remove the axle assembly from each side, pound out the axle retaining studs except for the long one for the e-brake pivot, then get out your friend Mr Torch (a cutoff wheel works too, just takes longer and more cussing) remove mr backing plate and kick that sumbitch across the shop because it sucks

To remove the backing plate without damaging it, you must press out the bearing, and that is not fun at all and the bearings are expensive, but dont worry, you wont want to save any drum brake junk anyways, you will never go back. When you order the parts from Skys, just tell them what year of axle you have and they will machine out the rotors for your truck.

Beautiful
Old 02-23-2008, 04:37 PM

The Skys brackets work like a charm, way better then the crap hole pair of brackets I got from ruffstuffspecialties that never fit and never got a refund on, I have used the skys kit twice and I will use it on my other two toyota's, for any amount of money, this is the kit to buy. It was less than 200 bucks for the rotors and brackets and shipping to get them.

I also ordered an adjustable proportional valve for the rear brakes http://www.inlinetube.com/ and the stock lspv is gone, I hate those things, never seen one work right. I ground all the brackets for it off the frame and axle and removed the line that ran from it to the front brakes off the frame for a cleaner look.

I also ordered a 2 pound residual valve, this will hold 2 pounds of brake pressure in the rear line at all times since the stock toyota master cylinder was not supposed to push that much fluid it will probably go to the floor every time it tries to fill the big gm calipers, this will make the master seem like a bigger unit and disk brakes are supposed to have a little bit of pressure in them all the time to work correctly. This worked like a charm in my chevy after I went rear disks, should work great in here. I also put in a newer 89-95 V6 truck master cylinder in this runner, its a little bigger than the stock master, and the front brakes are already 89-95 V6 calipers that I put on a few years ago.

More pics of the hoses etc as I get them done.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:34 PM
Contributing Member

Excellent info, thanks. We should copy that disk brake conversion info into a thread on the main section, good stuff.

Are you using the old 3.0 cat?
Old 02-23-2008, 07:07 PM

I am running the 3.4 cat, those japanese guys are really smart, I dont try to outsmart them or their computer systems, if it aint broke dont fix it.
I was thinking about putting the disk brake swap on another post, I only listed it because I have seen hundreds of people with them, many writeups on it but all of them suck, they show the brakes all done and say it took an hour and a pair of pliers, all lies!!!! I havent seen a complete step by step brake writeup that was worth its webspace. The DRM version on pirate is decent.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:40 PM

Its alive, it has been a while, sorry people, went through a divorce and bought a house and just got the internet back, I have been driving this truck for just over a month now, I will try to get the rest of the build finished and answer any other questions anybody may have. I am pretty happy with how it turned out for now.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:11 PM

You mean she didn't get the truck! Awesome!
Old 02-25-2011, 06:09 AM
Contributing Member

Wow, great
Old 02-25-2011, 01:56 PM

The truck was far from done and she would nave never used it off road, so I didnt even give her the option of taking it, I gave her the Caddy and offered to leave her other 2 cars and she just wanted the caddy, so the Toyotas stayed with me.