86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

86 turbo starts and dies

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 turbo starts and dies

I have here a 86 2wd 22rt that is giving me hell. I have replaced the ECU, plugs, cap, rotor,wires, fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel pump relay, ignition switch, and probably more that I'm not thinking of right now.

This truck starts, idles for about 5 seconds and dies

I sprayed starter fluid in the intake and it will stay running so I assumed it was the fuel pump. Replaced the pump and nothing. The pump didn't sound like it was running so I figured electrical problem to the pump. I ran wires from the battery to the pump, could here the pump run and still no difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Jason
Old 04-15-2009, 08:15 PM

Clogged fuel filter or fuel lines.......?
Old 04-15-2009, 08:46 PM

Already changed the Filter as stated above. I'll try and check the fuel pressure tomorrow. If there is poor pressure then I will assume it's clogged lines and go from there.

Where is Cougar? I'm in Bonney lake WA
Old 04-15-2009, 08:58 PM

Ah, I somehow skipped over the fuel filter in your list of things replaced. I'm 35 miles above Woodland, and like 15miles above Amboy. Pretty much the base of St Helens.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you checked all the intake ducting- throttle body to turbo to air-flow meter all connected, tight and free of leaks? Have you checked the exhaust system to see if it may be plugged (maybe the converter)?
Old 04-16-2009, 06:48 AM

you said it will stay running with starting fluid? But not by itself?
Old 04-16-2009, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
Have you checked all the intake ducting- throttle body to turbo to air-flow meter all connected, tight and free of leaks? Have you checked the exhaust system to see if it may be plugged (maybe the converter)?
Ive went over most all the tubing and connections, check vacuum lines. Didn't worry about exhaust since it runse with starting fluid. When using starting fluid I do have the turbo piping pulled back so the turbo isn't being used.

Originally Posted by PlugItIn
you said it will stay running with starting fluid? But not by itself?
Yes sir.

Originally Posted by a4runnerfreak
Ah, I somehow skipped over the fuel filter in your list of things replaced. I'm 35 miles above Woodland, and like 15miles above Amboy. Pretty much the base of St Helens.
Not too far. Any good wheelin down there? Ever went and climbed through the Ape Caves?
Old 04-16-2009, 09:45 AM

so when using starting fluid, you're spraying into the duct from the turbo to the throttle body? You know that it won't continue running like that? - the air has to go through the air-flow meter so that the AFM will keep the fuel pump running once the engine starts. Which is why I asked if you checked all the piping. When it does start (without the starting fluid) what is the idle speed until it dies?
And have you tried pulling the check engine codes to see if there are any stored?

Last edited by abecedarian; 04-16-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:47 AM

No wheeling up where I'm at. I've only been up here a year so I don't know all the spots yet. Me and a neighbor are going to hit the Ape caves when it warms up some.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:53 AM

Check all relays and fuses for that fuel pump. Did the alternator ever die on your truck before this happened, or did you lose oil pressure for some reason?
Old 04-16-2009, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
so when using starting fluid, you're spraying into the duct from the turbo to the throttle body? You know that it won't continue running like that? - the air has to go through the air-flow meter so that the AFM will keep the fuel pump running once the engine starts. Which is why I asked if you checked all the piping. When it does start (without the starting fluid) what is the idle speed until it dies?
And have you tried pulling the check engine codes to see if there are any stored?
I normally would think the same thing but I'm spraying directly into the TB and it stays running. I will double check all the piping by doing a smoke test to see if the meter may be the issue.

When it starts without the starting fluid sometimes it's real rough and dies right away and sometimes it idles smooth at low idle for 5 to 8 seconds and just shuts off.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by a4runnerfreak
No wheeling up where I'm at. I've only been up here a year so I don't know all the spots yet. Me and a neighbor are going to hit the Ape caves when it warms up some.
We have a couple good wheeling spots around here. I'm about 30 min from Evans Creek and have a couple close play spots local.

You will like the Ape caves. It's about a good mile under ground with different tunnels.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:32 PM

Check all relays and fuses for that fuel pump. Did the alternator ever die on your truck before this happened, or did you lose oil pressure for some reason?
I did check and change the relays.

I don't really know the history of this truck. It's not mine, my neighbor bought it from his cousin DOA and I'm just trying to help him out.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:35 PM

as long as those relays are good you should be fine...if oil pres. drops it can trip the relay, or if the alt. dies it can also trip them. your getting fuel at the engine, right? Your injectors plugged in right?
Old 04-16-2009, 12:45 PM

I'm wondering about the Alt thing. This car came with no battery so there are no codes stored. I've been using a good battery and jump box to fire this thing. I'm going to check the fuel pressure now. I'm just trying to figure a way to tap into the fuel lines up near the fuel rail.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:22 PM

easiest places would be a tee at the pulsation dampener or pressure regulator (preferred). other fittings are banjo bolt and harder to tap in to.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:32 PM

make sure those injectors are plugged in all the way. A lot of times when someone unplugs the plug, they break them, and they don't "clip" on and stay on
Old 04-16-2009, 06:51 PM

make sure those injectors are plugged in all the way. A lot of times when someone unplugs the plug, they break them, and they don't "clip" on and stay on
you're not giving up on that "problem" are you? that's fine though.
even though it'll start and run fine for 5-8 seconds on gasoline, you're convinced the injector's aren't working?

Not trying to make an argument, just trying to figure out where you're coming from.

Last edited by abecedarian; 04-16-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:02 PM

you are correct on that, don't know what i was thinking (or not thinking at all).
Old 04-16-2009, 07:29 PM

the 'logical' place is at the AFM which houses the contacts to keep the COR (circuit opening relay) closed so the fuel pump keeps running... however the OP says that he's bypassed and powered the fuel pump on and the problem persists, which defies that logic.

so, I'd look with an injector pulse light or similar to verify the injector pulses keep happening even as the engine dies. if they do, I might look to see if the cold start injector is not turning off and is causing the engine to flood out.

Quick Reply: 86 turbo starts and dies