86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

86 show truck air bag question

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 86 show truck air bag question

i have an 86 4wd pickup and i decided to attempt to make it into a show truck. i want to put an air lift system on it so that i can squat it down on 37" nitto mud grappler tires (w/20 inch rims) and when i start the car it would sit back up 6" or so into a big badass looking truck...

only problem i have is the good ol' independent front suspension, does anyone know if it is possible to put air bags in the front without MAJOR modifications??

and what do you think of the idea?

Last edited by mattman por vida; 10-12-2006 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:07 PM

I think you suck...

lol jk, check out 4moggers truck. He's running a sick airbag system that has some controller thing to help him when he's wheeling.

As for turning it into a full all show no go truck, you really do suck..4 wheel drives weren't meant for that.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:10 PM

i know i know... but my poor truck has been through so much: everyone in my family has learned how to drive on it, i used to take it out a lot and it got beat up pretty bad, plus its an everyday driver for me... soooo, for me it looks like its time to retire the old girl and let her just relax and look good for awhile. does that make any sense? lol
Old 10-12-2006, 02:11 PM
Contributing Member

I think she'd be happier as a dedicated trail rig, out where she belongs. Trust me, she'd want it that way.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:26 PM

well that's why i'm trying to get some advice... because if i do it right, she will still be functional and able to perform off road. i know she won't be the best but she will still be high performance.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:08 PM
Contributing Member

Well, if you're thinking about taking it off road, I dunno about 20's. With the money you would sink into it making it into a "show" rig, you could have a seriously tough vehicle that would not only look cool, but have some redeeming value to it. It's your truck, do what you want, but I KNOW you're not gonna get the money you put into it making it a show truck out of it. If you invest in mods that will make it a more capable truck, if you do decide to sell it, those modifications will be a good selling point. Just my 2c.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mattman por vida
i have an 86 4wd pickup and i decided to attempt to make it into a show truck. i want to put an air lift system on it so that i can squat it down on 37" nitto mud grappler tires (w/20 inch rims) and when i start the car it would sit back up 6" or so into a big badass looking truck...

only problem i have is the good ol' independent front suspension, does anyone know if it is possible to put air bags in the front without MAJOR modifications??

and what do you think of the idea?
I'm not sure what you consider "MAJOR modifications" but as far as I can see, the only way to fit 37" tires is through some major modifications. The only realistic option I can think of is to SAS it with a linked suspension, and use airbags instead of, or ontop of a conventional coil spring with a separate shock off to the side. By the time you go to all that work and expense you may as well just make a trail rig out of it.

I don't think anyone here's trying to rain on your parade, but you're probly not asking the right forum for opinions about a show truck.

whatever you do...good luck

Last edited by SacRunner; 10-12-2006 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Contributing Member

I agree, SAS it and you will be able to do your mods.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by SacRunner
I'm not sure what you consider "MAJOR modifications" but as far as I can see, the only way to fit 37" tires is through some major modifications. The only realistic option I can think of is to SAS it with a linked suspension, and use airbags instead of, or ontop of a conventional coil spring with a separate shock off to the side. By the time you go to all that work and expense you may as well just make a trail rig out of it.

I don't think anyone here's trying to rain on your parade, but you're probly not asking the right forum for opinions about a show truck.

whatever you do...good luck

that was exactly what i was thinking... i just really didn't want to change the whole front end suspension. i already have the straight front axle to put into it, but it was ridiculously expensive to swap. i do know that even if i did go the trail rig route, the straight axle would be better because i could do a bigger lift. but still, i'm gonna run into that whole expensive mess of swapping the ifs out and the new axle in. has anyone heard of the coil kit for my truck? i stumbled on this site earlier, it doesn't say how expensive it is, but this looks like it could be interesting:

http://www.trailslesstraveled.com/ar...eler-magazine/

what do you think?
Old 10-12-2006, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
So... airbags, 37" tires, 20" rims, creating a show truck... but your bummed about the expense of an SAS?

What is your estimated budget for this truck?

Also, I am not sure you can SAS a nice Toyota just so you can slam it to stuff 20's and cruise the streets without a significant amount of bad juju befalling you in the future... that idea just can't be right.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:33 PM

okay okay, i didn't say it was the "best" idea, but its an idea that looks good in my head.

i'm gonna try to stay around or below $8000 for everything, but i'm also gonna sell my old tires and rims, pioneer dvd system, etc. which will counter some of the costs.