Old 12-19-2015, 07:53 PM
Joa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 4Y 4Runner - low power, misfires, bad mileage

Hey, I need some help with my old Lady...here is the car:

1986 Toyota 4runner
4Y Engine, carby, 2.2L engine, 5 gears manual

The car starts up good and drives, but there are some smaller problems:

1. Low power - I dont expect much from 97hp, but when I reach any kind of inlcines it rapidly looses power, and speed (In a way that I am obstructing the traffic).

2. Stuttering - The car idles well, but sometimes (looks like this happens only in higher gears, 4&5 gear) the engine just fails for about half a second, meaning the car looses all acceleration power. However, this is just very short and the engine runs smooth like before after that.

3. Misfiring - I get random misfires, sounds like driving over a plastic bottle. This happens mostly when the car is rolling down a hill and runs with the accelerator pedal only barely pressed down.
I also noticed misfires when the stuttering happens, but it is hard to hear it while driving.

4. Bad mileage - I know a 86 truck with carby wont be a fuel saver, but it drinks 14L/100km which is too much for a 4cyl car in my opinion...? Running on BFG ATs at the moment.

What has been done: The previous owner gave the car to a mechanic and he replaced the ignition points, adjusted the dwell angle and ignition timing...Also adjusted the carby idle mixture and speed.
I would say my problems are somehow related to the carby, what would you check? Can I check the mixture by having a look at the spark plugs or something like that?
Thanks in advance!
Old 12-20-2015, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
What is throwing a red flag to me is it having points. It should have a solid state distributor. What is the story behind that?
Old 12-24-2015, 10:02 PM
Joa

Hey,
all I can tell you is that is has points...maybe something Australia specific?
Old 12-25-2015, 04:14 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

It is possibled that it is Autrailia specific and I am not sure about that. Could you post a picture of it? Our carbed trucs here in the states are solid state driven distributors. I might see if I could find one in your area and swap it to solid state.
Old 12-25-2015, 04:49 AM
Joa

Here, the distributor: http://up.picr.de/24069615km.jpg
The engine: http://up.picr.de/24069616ic.jpg
Old 12-25-2015, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have never seen that motor. It has a really low profile vavle cover and nothing like the motors I am used to seeing. Your distributor cap looks like it may need to be replaced as it looks rough to me and they do need replaced. Your distributor is different from what I have seen as well.

I wonder if it is a motor out of an older model or a motor that is not available to us. I have never heard of the 4Y motor and is something I will be looking into for more information about.

From the looks of your distributor cap, I would go with a complete tune up of plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter. I have chased problems that wound up being a simple tune up issue. From now on I start with the basics.

At a later time if you do suspect the carburator, and if a Weber will work on your motor, I would suggest getting a new carurator. As old as the factory carb is and the pivot points, I feel just wear out and cause all kinds of air leaks. I would check everything else first before doing a carb swap, just something I would think of on down the road. I dont even know if a Weber would work on your truck.

Glad you posted your motor, something new to me that has me curious.
Old 12-25-2015, 07:25 PM
Joa

Hey Terrys,

yes, the engine is very exotic. Wikipedia says that is was used specially in Australian 4runners, I also know that it was used in the VW (Volkswagen) Taro, which was an license build Hilux by German Volkswagen. Afaik they switched to the fuel injected 22E later?

I notices these scratches in the distributor cap, why is it looking that bad? The rotor is tight, I cant move it around (Besides the spinning itself, hope you get what I try to say...Its not wobbling around).
Spark Plugs are just new, I took them out and noticed a white "crusty" powder on the outside?? It is on all four plugs, looks like lime/chalk?
What do you think about the color of the plug, is it too white?

I dont really want to touch the carby, absolutely hate working on them Hmm, I think there are Webers around. I will get a new cap asap.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Your plug is fine, a little wear. Shows oil consumption. I would start with a full tune up. Failing that, replace or rebuild the carb. Also check & replace all the fluids on GP's. Get a can of radiator flush and use that. I don't know if you can get Luca's products there but put some injector cleaner in the tank.

I would also run a static compression check, you may have carbon buildup on the pistons, or a melted exhaust valve.