86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

86 4runner slow crank

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 86 4runner slow crank

Alright so I have an 86 Toyota 4runner and it had been overheating for about 2-3 days, only reason I was driving it like that is because I had nothing else to get me around.. well finally overheated and water was shooting it the radiator like a glazer lol.. and it wouldn't take any, it would just reject the water by shooting it out.. it shut off and when I tried cranking it, it was a very slow crank.. eventually if I held it there for long enough it got faster and would turn on.. but only twice that worked, now it just cranks really slow.. with a brand new battery and even hooked up cables with another truck, still cranks very slow, any pointers?
Old 04-11-2017, 11:36 AM

Received 825 Likes on 652 Posts
My first guess is that you simply destroyed the engine. You may have broken a ring so that your attempts to crank it are just grinding a bigger hole where the cylinder used to be. Or you might have oil-starved the crank bearings, and spun one. Trying to crank it is just re-grinding the crank, and not in a good way (if there is such a thing).

These are mostly guesses, based on your description of repeatedly over-heating the engine. You could pull the head and visually look for damage to the cylinder. Then you could manually (with a wrench) turn the crank; with the head off it should turn easily.