Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

86 4runner - parts list for lift - anything else to add?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 86 4runner - parts list for lift - anything else to add?

OK. I'll be putting my lift in as soon as the snow clears in the spring. I know it's a little early, but it's hard not to get excited about this.

Here is the list so far.....

2 1/2" Ironman rear springs
1 1/2" BJ Sapcers
Greaseable shackles

BDS shocks all around

Low profile bumpstops
All new Energy Suspension bushings for the front & rear including sway bar bushings

OME steering stabilizer

15x9 rims with 4.5" backspacing

Tires:
Either 32x11.5 or 33x12.5 BFG ATs

Gears:
Stock 4.30
(I think my engine can handle the 33s with these gears - I'm running a diesel 2LT running 10 PSI boost + intercooler & 2 1/2" exhaust straight pipe)

Am I missing anything?
Any obvious mistakes?
Any maintenance I should do while I have the truck torn apart?

Cheers & Happy Holidays!

Frozen
Old 12-18-2007, 08:26 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You need less backspacing for the rims to fit those 33x12.5 tires.. Rims with 4" less is what ya need, choices are usually 4" or 3.75"

What are BDS shocks, aint ever heard of them.

Also gonna need extended brake lines, otherwise yours will snap when it flexes
Old 12-18-2007, 08:29 PM

http://www.bds-suspension.com/

Longer brake lines with such a small lift?

Anyone got some rims for sale?

Old 12-18-2007, 08:38 PM

i had the stock lines with my 4in lift on my 94, you just have to bend them a little different an you will be good
Old 12-19-2007, 05:55 AM

Bump for some love?
Old 12-19-2007, 06:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Other than going with less backspacing and a narrower rim, I'd do like 3.75" BS and a 15X8 personally because you can air down with less chance of breaking a bead.

I can't comment on the gears Vs. engine since we don't have the diesel option here.

Frank
Old 12-19-2007, 06:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would also consider a Sonoran Steel IFS brace, it will help your truck keep it's alignment alot longer. I wouls also do an 8" rim with 4" or less backspace. Sounds like a good setup.

Robb
Old 12-19-2007, 06:23 AM
CJM

bending those hard lines IS NOT a good idea, they arent to strong and can break...longer lines!

Also after looking at the shocks-they are designed for 4" of lift, you want shocks designed for 2 inches of lift..

Last edited by CJM; 12-19-2007 at 06:24 AM.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by elripster
Other than going with less backspacing and a narrower rim, I'd do like 3.75" BS and a 15X8 personally because you can air down with less chance of breaking a bead.

I can't comment on the gears Vs. engine since we don't have the diesel option here.

Frank

I just ordered 32x11.5x15 BFG ATs on 15x8 with 4.5" backspacing. On my '86 4Runner I have 2" OME springs in the rear and 1.5" BJ spacer up front. Am I going to have rubbing/clearance issues? The salesman talked me into the 4.5" BS so my tires wouldn't stick out "too" far.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by toybuilder
I just ordered 32x11.5x15 BFG ATs on 15x8 with 4.5" backspacing. On my '86 4Runner I have 2" OME springs in the rear and 1.5" BJ spacer up front. Am I going to have rubbing/clearance issues? The salesman talked me into the 4.5" BS so my tires wouldn't stick out "too" far.
You should be fine, the rubbing is typically associated with a few brands of all terrains in the 31" size on stock wheels. Your rim will move the tire out .5" over stock just do to it being wider. The larger diameter moves the bulge outwards farther than does the 31 hence why the larger tires don't rub.

I will say though, the salesman, and this is just my opinion, is wrong on the "too far" thing. You might feel differently, it's subjective, but I liked the stance of my 89 with the 15X8's with 3.75" back spacing. Also, you have less chance of a roll over with less back spacing. Many times, having my tires stick out just a bit farther than the fenders saved my truck from body damage too. If it's not too late, you might consider asking them to swap out for the less backspaced rim.

Frank
Old 12-19-2007, 04:30 PM

CJM. I didn't get the BDS shocks that are listed on the website. I got the size that fits a 2.5" lift.

So.... 32 x 11.5 will be ok with this lift?

cheers,
frozen
Old 12-19-2007, 07:15 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Personally, I would take all that money you're going to spend on lift and put it towards something that will actually increase the capability of the rig.

Put 33x10.50 on the stock rims. Ground clearance - done.

Armor - sliders, skids, bumpers in that order

Lockers/gears
Old 12-19-2007, 07:28 PM
CJM

Originally Posted by frozenSurf
CJM. I didn't get the BDS shocks that are listed on the website. I got the size that fits a 2.5" lift.

So.... 32 x 11.5 will be ok with this lift?

cheers,
frozen
Your front shocks are still to long. Frank can explain why further, but here is a thread where we went over this: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...shocks-131493/

If you get the properly 4" or less backspaced rims you can fit 33x12.5's on there and 32's will fit easy.

tc is right in some respects, you dont need a lift to do all kinds of stuff but it helps. Imho, I prefer at least a 2" lift. It all depends on the terrain you wheel and how you wheel it.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:12 AM

Talking

Well then. What size of front shock do you guys recommend? From what I gather I need a 10-15" shock? Is this right?

This truck is being set up as an expedition type rig if that helps anyone. Looks like I'll be going with the 33 x 10.5 unless I find a smokin deal on some rims.

TC. Front bumper is done. Rear tire carrier with fuel cans is coming, still trying to decide on sliders & my good friend is a gear guy, so the lockers will go in in the next year. I'll post pics as it all comes along

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP GUYS!

PS. If anyone needs help with diesel/WVO/Biodiesel stuff, please feel free to ask at anytime. (or drug questions - I'm a pharmacist)
Old 12-20-2007, 08:33 AM

Well then. What size of front shock do you guys recommend? From what I gather I need a 10-15" shock? Is this right?

This truck is being set up as an expedition type rig if that helps anyone. Looks like I'll be going with the 33 x 10.5 unless I find a smokin deal on some rims.

TC. Front bumper is done. Rear tire carrier with fuel cans is coming, still trying to decide on sliders & my good friend is a gear guy, so the lockers will go in in the next year. I'll post pics as it all comes along

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP GUYS!

PS. If anyone needs help with diesel/WVO/Biodiesel stuff, please feel free to ask at anytime. (or drug questions - I'm a pharmacist)
You are correct on the length, there are some options on our site. People suggest shocks all the time and what I have noticed is aside from the Monroe-average shocks, people are pretty happy with lots of the different brands. OME is very commonly recommended for example but people are running Procomp, Doetsch Tech, Rancho, etc... and I can't recall anyone being unhappy.

A little lift will help soak up the bumps when you are exploring and some good shocks are absolutely necessary in my opinion. When average shocks fade the truck can get hard to control if the terrain is rough and it's just plain uncomfortable to drive distances. Faded shocks mean constant contact with the bumpstops which is hard on the truck and the driver.

Frank
Old 12-20-2007, 10:05 AM

Thanks Frank. If my Wife didn't get me the BJ spacers for Xmas I'll be giving you a call next week with my order.

So for going fast on sustained wash, which shocks should a guy look for? It's pretty hot here in the summer & I don't want something that will overheat & give me a crappy ride. Should I also consider different rear shocks, or is this more of an issue with the front?

cheers,
jeff
Old 12-20-2007, 10:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.bds-suspension.com/

Longer brake lines with such a small lift?

Anyone got some rims for sale?

You can use a stock rear brake line from NAPA or anywhere to extend both the front and rear brake lines. They make a longer and a shorter version. I paid about 12 bucks for my last one. Pirate4x4.com has the part numbers in their FAQ.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:27 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Thanks Frank. If my Wife didn't get me the BJ spacers for Xmas I'll be giving you a call next week with my order.

So for going fast on sustained wash, which shocks should a guy look for? It's pretty hot here in the summer & I don't want something that will overheat & give me a crappy ride. Should I also consider different rear shocks, or is this more of an issue with the front?

cheers,
jeff

How fast and how long?

Reservoir type shock will be your best bet, but now you're getting into some significant cash.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:39 AM

Too funny! Usually uphill into the mountains, as fast as I can, for anywhere from 15-60 minutes, fully loaded with 2-4 mountain bikers & 200+ lbs of bikes. (this is why the 4 core rad, high output water pump & Evans waterless coolant are going in this spring too!)

Wife hasn't killed me yet.....

-Jeff
Old 12-20-2007, 11:56 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Yep - I would look at reservoir shocks. The other advantage is they are usually more easily tuneable

Quick Reply: 86 4runner - parts list for lift - anything else to add?