Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

86 4runner motor mount specifics 22RE (w56 manual trans)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 08:29 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
86 4runner motor mount specifics 22RE (w56 manual trans)

I've got about 650 miles on a rebuild I did myself and the exhaust has been getting progressively louder over the last few days to the point yesterday on the way to school it sounded like I cracked my exhaust manifold. I inspected everything and shook the exhaust from bellow and that's when I realized the down pipe had vibrated loose because there is no bracket holding it to the side of the bell housing like there should be. It looks like the previous owner did a 2 1/4 pipe job on it and then just ditched the bracket. It probably would be okay like that but my motor mounts were looking a little worn when I dropped the engine back in, not cracked all the way though or anything but I'm sure they are probably the original mounts from 30 years ago and the engine has a bit too much movement which I notice when cranking especially. During the rebuild process I went through a lot of things like clutch hydraulics, new vacuum hoses, PCV system, brand new radiator, radiator hoses etc and then I ran out of budget to fix anything else and had to get the truck on the road. Anyway now my budget has opened up and I'm going back through and replacing a few odds and ends that need it. The motor mounts and transmission mount look like they all could use replacement and are causing issues with other systems.

I read through lots of threads on motor mounts and found info ranging from if you don't wheel hard stick with OEM, to using energy suspension mounts designed for GM transmissions? I ready about trail gear bombproof mounts but I also read the vibes were not good due to contact that happens between the two steel parts of the bracket assembly and some people use just one on the driver side and an OEM on the passenger side to combat that? I also discovered that 4xinnovations makes a completely redesigned mount that replaces the bracket on the block and has 2" energy suspension poly bushing in it. These look quite nice and they sell a kit with a transmission mount as well for pretty much the price of the OEM motor mounts alone (not including the OEM trans mount). MY question is can anyone report on vibration characteristics of these 4X mounts since they are poly bushings and from my research poly seem to have more problems with vibes? seems like they isolated the bracket pieces so there is no metal on metal contact I'm just wondering how they preform I guess.

here is the wheeling scenario and my setup. I will be wheeling some decent trails in the Sierras and around the big basin desert (I lived n Northern CA/Bay Area but will travel out by Tahoe, Yosemite, and parts of western Nevada) my truck is IFS and I don't have dual transfer cases, basically I'm stock gear driven transfer case, w56 trans, and 22re engine. in other words I'm not going to be doing hardcore rock crawling but plan to run the truck on trails and attempt to tackle whatever obstacles are in front of me (within reason). Are aftermarket mounts overkill or would I benefit from the 4xinnovations mounts? I'm just concerned they will rattle my teeth out of my head with the road manners because, unfortunately, this truck was supposed to be a weekend adventure truck but now due to life happening it has become a daily driver so on road manners are also important to me at this point, I also wouldn't like to get stranded on a trail because the OEM mounts weren't sufficient.

Anyone have experience with the 4xinnovations mounts or other aftermarket mounts that hold up a little better than OEM but still have good ride characteristics?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-15-2018, 01:16 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I run the 4x mount on my Transmission .

At first I noticed a slight vibration in neutral when stopped now I don`t really notice it .

Most of the Toyota`s I see have had that bracket on the down pipe removed the first time the exhaust or clutch was changed.

Get some of the stainless M10 x1.25 lock nuts Toyota sells by far the best
Old 09-15-2018, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
I run the 4x mount on my Transmission .

At first I noticed a slight vibration in neutral when stopped now I don`t really notice it .

Most of the Toyota`s I see have had that bracket on the down pipe removed the first time the exhaust or clutch was changed.

Get some of the stainless M10 x1.25 lock nuts Toyota sells by far the best
Cool on the transmission mount. I got a quote to weld up a new cat and muffler and the guy at the shop said the existing 2 1/4 pipe is still good and they quoted me a pretty cheap price to just do the welding and he also said it looks like the down pipe has been hitting the bell housing so he’d bend it out a little on the pipe bender. He seemed to think it was common for the bracket to be missing also. My bracket is totally missing not just missing the bolts, actually I think the two bolts are there but not the bracket it’s self. I assume the bracket, if I found one at a junkyard, would not fit a 2 1/4” pipe anyway right? The situation I’ve got going on is it looks like the previous owner cut the down pipe just bellow the Y and had 2 1/4 tubing welded on so that whole section that would have fit the stock bracket is gone anyway.

I think im just gonna pull the trigger on the 4x mount package worst case I don’t like them and I go back to OEM. I’m sure I could sell them to someone from the board to recoup some of the money invested as well.

Old 09-15-2018, 05:15 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
You've seen pictures of that bracket I assume, its just a bit of steel with a curved section that contacts the pipe and gets attached with a band clamp. It would still work with a twelve inch pipe there.

Get new exhaust nuts and studs, they are single use items. Not single use like a bolt that stretch's lengthwise a little each time but single use as in the nut flares inwards to grip the stud. This means each time it's removed the stud is a little smaller and the nut a little bigger.

Newer style exhaust hardware are even more so single use, where the old ones are "staked" inwards the newer style has one way teeth cut into the nut.

I've got no input on antivibration mounts other than they are there for what the name implies and this isn't going to be a high powered trailered trail vehicle. I'd use Toyota parts, if I was concerned about tearing them apart I would add safety chain on the left to oppose the torque.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:12 AM

CO_94 yeah I’ve seen the bracket but the pics I’ve seen of it are from odd angles from under the truck that make it look like it was a form fitting bracket for the stock sized exhaust diameter. Good to know if I finding one or try to see if the dealer has one available that it will still work. 10-4 on the studs ... my manifold to head hardware and studs are new but the downpipe studs and nuts are not.