Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

86 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 4runner

Long time lurker, first time poster

I recently acquired an 86 4runner with quite a few odd things done to it. It's a great running little rig once you get it started. I haven't tried the fuel bypass yet or cleaned the cold start injector to see if it will help with my cold start problem.

That leads me to my question, if I bypass fuel whatcha doodle thing and leave it bypassed what will it hurt? What about putting the jumper on a switch to ensure the pump is off? This truck is and never will be street legal, would this impair any other functions needed to run?
Old 06-11-2014, 12:37 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Why do you feel that your slow starting is fuel related??

Granted these engines seem to start real easy when all tuned up

I have seen way to many hook up the fuel pump direct then leave the switch on and drain the battery.

Another thing if you have a leaky injector and leave the switch on it can fill a cylinder with fuel given enough time.

In itself jumping the test connector would not hurt things but if you do get the power from a fused ignition controlled source.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:37 AM

Thanks for the reply.

The reason I feel it's a fuel issue causing my hard start is the only way it will start cold is to using ether. After it's warm and running it will start fine without any ether, that leads me to believe my cold start injector is fouled in some manner. The evening I am going to take it out and have a look to see what's going on.

I wonder if my open circuit "thing" is malfunctioning. From what I've read hard/no start is a good indication that the cold start is fouled or the open circuit is not functioning. Am I wrong to assume that by passing the fuel "thing" would eliminate the guess work?

The truck runs fine for hours on end after it's started the first time.

I apologize for not knowing all the correct terms for the parts in question, I am away from my computer and the notes I have taken are in my truck.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:33 PM

Red face

Have you given this truck a major tune up??

Then here in pa I Have not run a cold start injector for a few years but it never gets to cold in the winter.

Only because I keep for getting to install the new one if I could find the darn thing.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:51 PM

Yes, I did a tune up. Plugs, wires, cap, button and fuel filter. I also relocated the fuel filter, for the life of me I can't understand why they put that thing there.

If you can get away without a cold start injector in PA there's definitely no need for it here in Texas. Our winter is simular to your spring. Lol
Old 06-14-2014, 10:48 AM

Success!

After I bypassed the fuel bypass it started like a champ!

Now my question is, what does that tell me and how do I fix it? In the meantime I am going to leave it bypassed. I can hear the fuel pump turn off when I turn off the key. This truck is a trail rig so things like this being permanent don't bother me. But I'd like to correct the problem at some point
Old 06-16-2014, 02:14 AM

Red face

It means some place you have a failed switch or damaged wires .

The Fuel Pump Check Connector when jumped allows a circuit in the Circuit Opening Relay to complete energizing the coil closing the contacts turning the pump on
Old 06-16-2014, 04:27 AM

And to answer your first question, with the thingamadoodle bypassed, your fuel pump ignores whether or not the engine is running and just pumps fuel anytime the key is in the On or Crank positions. It's a safety feature.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:59 AM

Your cor is fine if it works when bypassed. Leaving it on is a safety thing. If you were to roll it or something and hose blew pump just keep on going if powers on.

not a huge deal to me but id want it fixed just cause. I need to do my cold start injector before winter. Im from maine so if i dont it wont run