Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

6in IFS lift opinion.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6in IFS lift opinion.

I have a 4in lift already (trailmaster). But i want 6in total I already have the diff drop and crossmember drop and brackets. for the front IFS but if i do 2in ball joint spacers and coil spring spacers how do i more of a diff drop? or do i need too?
Old 07-18-2012, 11:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The geometry of your suspension will be all screwed up if you do that. If you want another 2" of lift, get a 2" body lift.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:53 PM

I hate body lifts with a passion!!
Old 07-19-2012, 05:24 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
SAS

You've already wasted the cost of parts in IFS brackets.

:wabbit2:
Old 07-19-2012, 05:32 AM

You hate body lifts, but you'll lift an IFS rig 6 inches?
Old 07-19-2012, 06:41 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
^ This. Haha.

I assume you have a 2nd gen 4runner because you mentioned coils... You cant lift the rear that high without running into more isuues. After 4" the links and mounts need to be moved to keep proper geometry.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:27 PM

I'm running 4" IFS bracket lift + 1.5" BJ spacers. I like the ride height and ride feeling of IFS. Its worked out great! I can easily fit 35" but 33" look great. I wouldn't do the body lift route.

I have 6" chevy 63" inches at the rear. Overall, pretty happy. It was cheaper than SAS .. I got a used bracket lift from someone doing a SAS.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:02 PM

okay... sounds like you need to listen to wab fab. SAS the thing. no way are you going to get a 6 inch lift out of a 2nd gen ifs.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Utah4Runner86
You hate body lifts, but you'll lift an IFS rig 6 inches?
i'll take my chances with staying stock height, bigger tires,gears , clearance the body and a 2" bl no higher.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:07 PM

Hmmm, Somone better tell my 92 Ex Cab pickup that it cant have that 6" lift on the IFS that it has.

Only thing that doesnt fit is the swaybar, But Im sure I could find a replacement (for street use).
Old 07-19-2012, 08:15 PM

Yeah you'll definitely need a solid axle swap up front. To lift the rear on a second generation 4runner, you'll either need to rip out your rear suspension and either install custom linked setup or leaf springs. What's your goal with the 4runner?
Old 07-19-2012, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by strykersd
Yeah you'll definitely need a solid axle swap up front. To lift the rear on a second generation 4runner, you'll either need to rip out your rear suspension and either install custom linked setup or leaf springs. What's your goal with the 4runner?
yea... just do a leaf conversoin. wab fab sells one for $600 ish.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:50 AM

Why lift the car that much? Seems like more trouble than it is worth, i.e. severe aerodynamic drag that is worst than it already it, the installation of expensive parts so the thing can keep up with traffic, suspension and brake line upgrades to handle the new height, plus no real benefit; you still have the rear end in a relative same location, plus the prop-shaft. If you want to go pretty much anywhere get a half-track or tank. During WW2, the jeep was used in all theaters and they didn't lift them. If you plan on going into back country I would focus on springs, shocks and tires. All ground vehicles are constrained by mother earth. If you need to get to very remote areas, the Army uses aircraft and parachutes. Most guys I have worked with get tired of the lift, the money they wasted on it and the discomfort of it, after about a year. I have one friend whom is a serious 4x4er and he tows his truck to the starting point because it handles poorly on improved roads. Good luck!
-gt350mk
Old 07-20-2012, 09:59 AM

Why do you need the additional 2"? What are you trying to achieve? Is it a vehicle purely for offroad or is it a dual purpose vehicle? Daily driver? These are some questions that need to be answered so we can give you the best suggestions. Also, post some pics. We love pics

I mean, if you want the 2" of extra lift to clear tires or something, you could always trim where ever it's rubbing and save the money, time, and stress.

Based on what I'm reading, I'd say SAS it and sell the Trailmaster lift.

Originally Posted by gt350mk
Why lift the car that much? Seems like more trouble than it is worth, i.e. severe aerodynamic drag that is worst than it already it, the installation of expensive parts so the thing can keep up with traffic, suspension and brake line upgrades to handle the new height, plus no real benefit; you still have the rear end in a relative same location, plus the prop-shaft. If you want to go pretty much anywhere get a half-track or tank. During WW2, the jeep was used in all theaters and they didn't lift them. If you plan on going into back country I would focus on springs, shocks and tires. All ground vehicles are constrained by mother earth. If you need to get to very remote areas, the Army uses aircraft and parachutes. Most guys I have worked with get tired of the lift, the money they wasted on it and the discomfort of it, after about a year. I have one friend whom is a serious 4x4er and he tows his truck to the starting point because it handles poorly on improved roads. Good luck!
-gt350mk
Dude...there are several things wrong with that.

1. You're jumping to conclusions that he it's a daily driver.
2. About 95% of the Toyotas on this forum can't keep up with traffic. I know mine can't! It's kind of our own inside joke.
3. If you're gong to glorify Jeeps, go to a Jeep forum.
4. Most military men never lifted their Jeeps because they were owned by the US government. They weren't theirs to lift. Also, they had better things to be doing, such as PROTECTING OUR FREEDOM. In addition, I don't think people were lifting their trucks back in the 30s and 40s, during the depression and war times.
5. You have obviously misunderstood the purpose of this forum. We all modify our trucks and SUVs for offroad or just general purposes. 9/10 we lift our trucks.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x44runner
I have a 4in lift already (trailmaster). But i want 6in total I already have the diff drop and crossmember drop and brackets. for the front IFS but if i do 2in ball joint spacers and coil spring spacers how do i more of a diff drop? or do i need too?
Forget what all these nay-sayers prosyletyze over. 7" lift without body blocks on IFS is do-able, but may not be cheap. Do it right though, and you could have a truck that could carve the dunes at Glamis, Pismo or your favourite sand dune and be able to work many of the technical trails SAS holds mystic dominion over... and drive down the street without tilting 30 degrees to the outside of every corner when you turn: one thing a solid front axle can't overcome is the tendancy to lean outwards in a corner as the inside front wheel's camber raises that side and the outside front wheel's camber lowers its side.

So, what's your budget?

Last edited by abecedarian; 07-20-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:25 AM

I'm sure 6 inches is possible, as theres someone rollin around my area in a 2nd gen runner on 40's, but its just not worth the time effort or money. you get undesirable angles in your front end, stuff starts to break easier and wear out faster. don't scratch out body lifts so fast either. they aren't even really noticeable except for right at the front of the truck.

if your goal is some serious wheelin, nix the IFS and SAS it. if you're mainly on the road with maybe some mud here and there, body lift. the less you screw with toyota IFS, the better it works.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by gt350mk
-gt350mk
those jeeps they used (m38) top out at 45mph (ish), Lots of lifted vehicles have a more comfortable ride than factory from softer suspension designed for off road flex and control. The point isn't to use aircraft and parachutes, heck I don't even own a parachute! The point is to make our trucks capable of going to the remote areas so we don't have to pay the $3000 bill to parachute in....and then walk out. Good luck driving that tank to the shopping mall and not getting a pile of tickets. If your friends truck handles so poorly on paved roads that he has to trailer it, hes doing something wrong.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by nothingbetter
those jeeps they used (m38) top out at 45mph (ish), Lots of lifted vehicles have a more comfortable ride than factory from softer suspension designed for off road flex and control. The point isn't to use aircraft and parachutes, heck I don't even own a parachute! The point is to make our trucks capable of going to the remote areas so we don't have to pay the $3000 bill to parachute in....and then walk out. Good luck driving that tank to the shopping mall and not getting a pile of tickets. If your friends truck handles so poorly on paved roads that he has to trailer it, hes doing something wrong.
^ YES! So much awesome in that post! That's kind of what I was driving at.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:56 PM

Ive got 6" read end of sig. Squirling away sas parts as we speak. Ifs will let you down uless you do blazeland.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:55 PM
Contributing Member

This place never ceases to amaze me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6in IFS lift opinion.