86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

5th Tire Hoist chain.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5th Tire Hoist chain.

I'm looking for JUST the Chain for a Toyota 4WD spare tire Hoist... Anyone have a Bad or Broken Spare Tire hoist? You'd be willing to break apart or pull the chain from? ... Or know where I can get the right sized chain? I (Was) Sure the chain is a Metric, where as Most chain manufacturers I've found only make chains in English.
New Hoist... $100? ... Used Hoist, $50-$100?? Plus Shipping.
But I'm on a Super Slim budget... And I'm saving up to buy new tires... That's Why I'd like to cary my spare!!!

A New Chain, Shouldn't be more than $5.
Two Heavy duty Shelving brackets... I don't know $5??
2 small threaded shackles... maybe $5??
... ...A Cast Steel Eye Bolt and nuts, probably $5?
(OR I could use one I Used to use, for tying down my motorcycle, the one I no-longer own -- so... 800 lb Cast Eye Bolt - Free)...
One or two Clutch Springs from a Motorcycle that I no longer Own... Free...

--- Idea, Complete!! Budget Should definitely be less than $20.

I was able to free up my hoist, But One of the numerous Previous owners (which I Believe included a Salvage yard) cut the chain on the hoist, leaving only the chain links inside the hoist.. I was able to rotate the hoist and pull the chain out for comparison, the chain size is VERY close to One chain size Most Every Hardware store has, from one or another manufacturer. One store was willing to cut off a few links for me at no charge, so that I could test it out... whichever size chain it was, I believe a 3/16" ... the one that's much closest, has links that are too long, and it starts binding... So again, I (Was) sure it's a Metric chain, rather than an English one.

Thoughts? Ideas?? Opinions?? ... Offers???

Last edited by Gregery; 06-12-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:13 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I would help if I could I have never seen one .

Every one that I saw they had been removed long ago

It would be a Royal pain crawling under to check the air pressure

Best of Luck
Old 06-15-2018, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, so I haven't been able to find a chain with this size link anywhere,
I've found a few chain hoist replacements at only $50... But I really want to save my money for more important things, So, I'm considering a different solution.
Possibly, Steal the main idea from Hide-A-Spare, which I guess is intended for full size Campers.
It would require significantly different design, but I don't see why it shouldn't be possible, to lift a tire into place with leverage, and bolting it there, instead of lifting and securing with a chain and wheel.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you talking about the little dealie under the rear that lifts and lowers your spare tire? If so I have an entire unit off of a 1990 4Runner which I believe is the same. If you’re in so cal you can have it for a 6 pack of stone IPA.