86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

5 spd G54 stuck in reverse!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 spd G54 stuck in reverse!

So went to put my truck in reverse the other day, seemed to go in smooth, but when I tried to move the stick it felt like it moved to neutral, but it was in-fact still in reverse. The stick feels like it moves to neutral and 5th and reverse, but only reverse stays engaged.

I did some research, and found a post by Foxtrot saying:

Ok update everyone: I called and spoke to Marlin on Friday *(Was lucky to get ahold of him)* and this apparently is very common with these toy tranny's when you either invert them or are coasting and run into something.

Anyways here's the break down, the 5th gear is heavy enough to "fall" and knock the tranny into reverse, with that the shifter is still in the (N) position therefor your not able to shift out of (R). So what you have to do is remove the (R) light plug on the side of the tranny *(Passenger side)* and in there with some small needle nose pliers you will see a metal tab, grab onto it and move it "back" *(towards the rear of the tranny)* till it can't move any further. In my case I had to move it approx an inch or two, and bam your done you should be shifting, and I was able to shift my tranny at that point.
Marlin Crawler followed up with:

On G54 (carb), and W56 (EFI) transmissions, remove the back up light switch-(you will need a 24mm or 1 1/16" end wrench or grind a notch in a socket for wire clearance), and pop the shift rod back. In the truck, a stubby flat head screw driver works best.

marlin.
Now I tried that. Got the reverse switch out, put a stubby screwdriver in there, popped the fork backwards, and just like they said, everything worked right! I did a little dance around the yard, then went for a drive. Everything seemed to be working perfectly. Went to reverse into the driveway, crap. Stuck in reverse again. Popped the reverse switch out, repeated the process, everything works great again. Until I put it into reverse. WTF.

Basically it works fine until I reverse, then it's stuck again. What's broken??? Any ideas how to fix it, or should I just go grab a used trans on Craigslist for $150. Lol.

Thanks!
-Sean
Old 09-27-2012, 05:09 PM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Without dismantling your trans I can only guess. I would say a snap ring somewhere came apart allowing the reverse gear to slide farther than it should or the ears on your shift fork are worn down. Either way the parts aren't super expensive. Tearing into a trans seems like a huge undertaking but it really isn't. A craiglist trans may work for you or it could be totally ragged out.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:52 AM

That's what I was guessing... I'd lean towards snap ring because it sort of went suddenly. It's not like it was getting progressively worse and worse. It was just working one day, then not working the next. Ugh.

This trans is actually a craigslist buy itself. I converted my truck from auto to manual about a year ago. I'll probably try and find a W56 this time around. I didn't know the difference when I bought the last one, so I bought a G54 from an old carb'd 22R 4Runner.

Thanks for the help!
-Sean
Old 09-28-2012, 08:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i wonder if i could have done this when i got my w56 stuck in 4th... ended up swaping in a new tranny..

if i read correctly a 22r(carb) has a g54 trans and a 22re has w56? thats news to me
Old 09-28-2012, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by runs-on-4
if i read correctly a 22r(carb) has a g54 trans and a 22re has w56? thats news to me
This appears to say the same thing...

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/faq/parts/