Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4x2 vs. 4x4 idler arm: What's the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x2 vs. 4x4 idler arm: What's the difference?

I have searched all morning on this website and other sites to find out some info, but haven't found anything solid yet.

I am wanting to know if an idler arm for a 4x4 truck will fit and function properly on a 4x2 truck. Anybody know what is different about them?

I know I need to replace at least the bushings. I would like to install some bronze or similar bushings, but apparently they are all made for 4x4 idlers. I really don't want to have to pay for custom machined bushings to fit whatever idler arm I use, whether I rebuild the existing one, or go with new.

Autozone sells one for $52, and it comes with a limited lifetime warranty. However, I really don't feel like replacing that everytime I change the oil.

Does anybody have any advice on this?
Old 03-24-2010, 12:44 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't think they'll work... I read somewhere a 4WD IFS is 7" higher than a 2WD with roughly the same frame... I can't imagine the steering having the same geometry...

And the AZ one (let me guess, 555 brand?)will not be as good as the OEM one. Put the inexpensive bushings in it and roll.

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 03-24-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:02 PM

Darn, I was afraid of that. The only reason I had hope was that I saw somewhere that NAPA had an idler arm that they sold for both 2WD AND 4WD. I really didn't think that was right, but wanted to hear from somebody with more experience.

I think I will try talking to Frank at SDORI, and see if he's willing to start a line of bronze bushings for 2WD idler arms. I'll post any updates on here.

Thank you so much for the input!
Old 03-24-2010, 02:59 PM

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
idlers are way different and will not swap over. i asked SDORI about 2wd bushings a while ago and he told me that he would make them but he would need the exact measurements. i started looking around and i found 3 different bushing sizes that are available for the 89-95 idlers that depended on who the manufacture was and i figured there was no way he was going to make all 3 sized bushings, so i gave up after that and never pursued it anymore.
however if you are looking for a idler/pitman arm upgrade, i had a guy make me a set and he is now selling them to anyone. they are $300 with stock cores shipped, and are made of 4130 chromoly steel, use bronze bushings, and bolt up to the factory center link. if you are interested let me know and i will get you his info.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:34 PM

Based on what I've read, it's kind of the same deal with the 4WD idler bushings. Apparently, there are 3 or 4 different sizes. The idler bushings from SDORI are made to ONLY fit a specific aftermarket idler, #FA5040, available from a few different places.

What I read made perfect sense to me. To keep costs down, they made only this one size. Since some people need to replace their idler arm anyway, it makes sense to get one with the largest arm shaft possible. That one also happens to be the least expensive one. But if all of them run plastic bushings, none of them are going to be that great. Replace only the weakest link, (the bushings) with something like bronze bushings, and you now have an idler arm built to last, with minimal investment.

Unfortunately, that idler arm only fits 4WD, which does not help me at all.

Your idler arm looks awesome! Question: Is the pitman arm really that necessary? Mine is not bent or anything else. I was under the impression that the idler and pitman arm contained the ball joints on the end, but after starting to remove the idler arm today, I think the center link (relay rod, transverse, whatever) is what actually contains the ball joints. Is this true? If I replace the center link to replace both of those ball joints, I should be able to leave the pitman alone, right?

I wish I was more familiar with steering linkages. I don't know if I need to replace the center link or not. I know the ball joints are supposed to swing around, but at what point are they finished? Mine move very easily by hand, yet don't have any side to side or up/down movement. The tie rod ends move with more resistance, but they feel smooth, and don't have any slop, so I think they are fine. It is very evident that the idler arm bushings are shot. The arm will swing back and forth about a millimeter!

Depending on whether or not I need a pitman arm, I might be interested in just getting an idler arm from this guy, if he's willing to do that. I was really hoping to keep this fix as inexpensive as possible, but after seeing these, I think I'll spend what it takes.
Any idea what the idler would be by itself? Any idea how long it would take for it to be ready?

Specific question for Robert M: I see you are running 30" ATs; 22RE; 5 spd, 2WD (same as me) and 4.10 gears. How do you like the 4.10 gearing? My truck still has 3.58 gearing, and it sucks. I talked to a guy at West Coast Differential, and he recommended 4.56 gearing for the tire size I'm running. Is that going to be too much? I don't want to go from one end of the spectrum to the other. I don't really wheel it, it mostly sees on-road and highway use.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:35 AM

i dont know if he will do just an idler but i can ask him, but you said you dont go offroad much so this setup might be way overkill for you. id say before you think about buying the fabbed idler setup, you should try contacting a local machine shop to see if they will do some bronze bushings for your idler you have now. it might be way cheaper to go that route. as for the center link on your steering, if you can easily move the rod ends by hand, you should replace it. go with moog if you can afford it.

4:10 is fine with me right now and in my opinion, its actually a tiny bit too much gear for just the 30's, once i go to 31's it will be perfect and feel like stock did. right now 70mph is around 3200rpm in 5th, and i could pull to 100+if i wanted too. if you went to 4:56 gears with 30's, you will have a top speed of like 65 mph on the highway and you will be redlined in 5th doing it.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:35 PM

It wouldn't be overkill, I like to rail some of the dirt roads around here, at least I used to, and plan to again. I want something super strong to give a more responsive steering. I think this would be perfect.

I would like the guys info. I don't think I will be able to order right away, but I want at least the idler arm as soon as I have the money for it. I think I am going to go cheap right now just so I can get the truck moving again. It kind of sucks, because I need to get it aligned, and if I am able to change the idler arm in a couple of months, I may need some minor alignment work needed again. Oh well, it will be worth it.

Thanks for letting me know about these. That is the best looking option I have seen so far, the design looks so strong. How long have you had your's on the truck? Still liking it?
Old 03-26-2010, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
x2 on the info to purchase a set.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:39 PM

his name is ryan, and his number is 714-598-9536 or you can message him on dezertrangers http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/member.php?u=18470
Old 03-26-2010, 05:58 PM

Awesome! Thank you very much!