86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4X plug #3 has fouled

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 4X plug #3 has fouled

The engine is brand new rebuild. 22re 2.4.
It's got a small oil leak out the rear main, but the problem is cyllinder 3. It's either oil or ATF, or Rich. I have NGK plugs, brand new cap, rotor, wires, and the plug keeps fouling. Went through 2 doses of chevron w/techron fuel injector cleaner ... and i still am getting the white smoke out the tail pipe in the mornings ONCE IN A BLUE MOON. and the PS gear box leak is a whole 'nother thread.

Ideas, compression check done ... 160 across all four. and yeah, still got that tap after new valve screws and 30$ out the wallet. damn tippity tap.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:39 AM

wehite smoke meas coolant and that means headgaasket si damaged or the head/block is warped and needs decking.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Check your injector for that cylinder.

Next guess would be a broken oil ring.

How long does after you start it does it produce said white smoke? That does sound a LOT like coolant....
Old 05-11-2007, 06:18 AM

so I ran this past the 10 second diagnostics team and the question was raised if your white smoke is only after it sits for a day or two?

I would have originally thought head gasket, but your compression should rule that out. We are thinking a leaky valve seal, that would explain the intermittance, the single piston and possibly even your ticky. Driven everyday there is no noticible build up, but after a little while of sitting oil seeps into #3 and bingo.

Please keep us up to date on the outcome.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:33 AM

broken oil control ring.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:58 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ShoeRunner
so I ran this past the 10 second diagnostics team and the question was raised if your white smoke is only after it sits for a day or two?

I would have originally thought head gasket, but your compression should rule that out. We are thinking a leaky valve seal, that would explain the intermittance, the single piston and possibly even your ticky. Driven everyday there is no noticible build up, but after a little while of sitting oil seeps into #3 and bingo.

Please keep us up to date on the outcome.

I agree with everything you said except the compression. I had 210 psi (!) on all six of my cylinders and STILL had a significant HG leak.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it might be HG too.. A slight leak will foul that plug out and show up as white smoke when sitting for a while. Do a leak down on #3, leave it pressurized for a while, listen for bubbles in the radiator.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:28 PM
Contributing Member

The only sure way to tell is get a coolant pressure tester. Sears has them....
Old 05-14-2007, 07:36 PM

i have a coolant pressure tester ... how will that helP?
and senor shoe runner, that was my theory! Im glad im not the only one who thinks it. How would the HG be leaking, it's Brand f'n new. Never overheated ... except once for tops 45secs before i was stopped hood opened and radiator popped ... so doubt it.
And the cyllinder and plug smell like oil.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:38 PM

and the white smoke went away after 1-3 mins of warmup. It was a cool day, and it was quite damp in the air. Might have been just A LOT of condensation. (doubtfull, but possible nonetheless)
Old 05-14-2007, 09:25 PM

White smoke upon startup is a common problem in ALL 4 cyl toys.

your valve seals are leaking.
did you reuse them, or your valves?

a valve may be bent or a seal might now be sealed 100% proper.

its exactly what happened to my moms camry, cousins celica, supra and lexus.

i am very confident this would be the problem.

Edit: FYI coolant beng burnt produces a light blue smoke with a distinct smell as opposed to te white fluffy smoke of oil.

Last edited by 91muddog; 05-14-2007 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:08 AM

yeah... well. I REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!! do not want to yank the head off again to replace that seal. I'll just run it till the clutch goes, then do it all together.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:09 PM

had a problem like that , it took me some time to figure out it was brake fluid sucking from the brake booster (white smoke & missing on #3 cyl. )
just sharing my problem.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:56 PM

rajin ... that sounds like my problem... how did you fix it?
Old 05-17-2007, 06:51 PM

to kmow if that's your problem , first u removed the vaccuum hose that connects the brake booster to the engine, now check inside the vac. hose for fluid or if it is wet,if it is, then the problem is the BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER leaking into the servo booster,the rest u can figure out. hope that helps.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:37 AM

IToyota,
Was this ever resolved? Sounds like an interesting diagnosis.

-Shoe
Old 09-02-2007, 06:55 PM

sorry shoe runner, it still has not been resolved. Dragging up an old thread is bad voodoo i know, but i got some pics to show of the number 3 plug after 3000 miles on it with no cleaning and boy does it look bad. I Checked some sites explaining how to "read" the plug, and by the looks of it now, i am leaning towards the valve seal heavily. Most of the buildup was only on one side of the ground strap, and it WAS in there for a while, I had her at WOT more than a few times to clean out the cyllinders, but it looks like the increased oil pressure at High RPM made it worse. See for yourselves. And thanks for ALL of your help.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:37 PM

Old 09-02-2007, 07:41 PM

They are NGK V-Powers, i have a set of bosch platinums so i threw a clean one in #3.

How can i monkey this into working without having to throw a new plug in every 1000 miles? Thicker oil? Oil additives? Fuel Additives? Higher Octane? (please do not tell me that unless YOU ABSOLOUTELY HAVE TO) How about some spark plug shims, ive heard of those but never used them. Familiar to anyone?
Old 09-02-2007, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Itoyota
They are NGK V-Powers, i have a set of bosch platinums so i threw a clean one in #3.

How can i monkey this into working without having to throw a new plug in every 1000 miles? Thicker oil? Oil additives? Fuel Additives? Higher Octane? (please do not tell me that unless YOU ABSOLOUTELY HAVE TO) How about some spark plug shims, ive heard of those but never used them. Familiar to anyone?
I really think none of these "monkey" ideas will work. I agree it looks from what ive read like your valve seal (and the look of that plug makes me think so too)... how often do you have to top up your oil?

Quick Reply: 4X plug #3 has fouled