Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

4runner nightmare 30 psi comp on 1,3,5

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you upload a photo of the Cam Gears and the timing marks that line up, as well as the crankshaft mark when it is lined up at 0? My opinion, the pass side camshaft is out 180 degrees, but I do not want to start a debate about it. Another thing to consider, is the intake gasket you replaced on that side in wrong, backwards, slipped, etc., restricting the air flow during the WOT pressure check?

Last edited by 93toyrunner2; 04-02-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
are u sure the cam on that side isnt 180* out? I did that once before and had very low compression in those cyl's... Even if the marks line up, its still possible to be 180* out... I'd say either that, or u are 1 tooth off... its very easy to have things move just enough to be 1 tooth off during re-assmbly. Good luck to ya!

Whoops... just noticed the comment above me.... Guess he beat me to it :-)

Last edited by Team420; 04-02-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:28 PM

whoah, before you go tearing the head off, i would make 150% sure you're reading the cam timing and crank timing marks correctly. like others have said, line them up and take a picture and post it. if it is in time correctly, my next step would be to do a cylinder leak down test. this will help locate any leaks (such as bent valves, which i doubt) quickly and much much easier than pulling a head. you could probobly buy the tool cheaper than you could a new head gasket and bolt kit. my money is on incorrect cam timing.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:55 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I gotta say it still sounds like your timing marks are off on that cam. Pull the upper cover off and take a pic of it.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:59 PM

Any update yet?
Old 04-06-2012, 06:15 AM

Well I already started pulling it apart, I have the timing belt off and the upper and lower intake are off just have to pull the exhaust cross over. I don't see how the camshaft could be off, it was running fine until the the timing belt skipped a few teeth. When I pulled the timing cover off everything was lined up both cam gears and lower marks where perfect not even a hair off and the dist was pointing to cyl 1. When I did compression I pulled the coil wire and held the throttle at wide open while cranking engine, all cyl on drivers side where within a pound or 2 of 155 all the passengers where 30- 36. Looking at the cam I don't see how it could be 180 off its pinned onto the shaft and has no movement, the gear has the timing mark and a dab of paint on it and the backing plate on driver and passenger side the same way. Im not to savy with photos but I'm going to try and take some tonight and post them before I pull the head. I'm going to pull that valve cover also. I did notice that the head gasket doesn't appear to be metal it looks like the graphite type it is blackish grey. Thanks for all your help guys this is driving me crazy
Old 04-06-2012, 06:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So you didn't disable the fuel injection? If not it will give you false readings as the cylinders are being washed out with fuel, I don't think it will make that big of a difference but just something to keep in mind. I still think you should have done a leak down before tearing into it.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:38 AM

I can still do a leak down I can easily slap the timing belt back on. I just figured when I saw the timing marks where good I had a much bigger problem . I will get some pics this evening . I can see compression being a little off by not disabling efi but 30 psi is extremely low I would think even major head gasket failure should give me more compression than that. I'm gonna pull the valve cover off tonight so I can see where the cam is at in relation to the mark on the gear. What is the best headgasket to use? When I took apart the intake all gaskets where good in response to the post about maybe the gasket slipped, its doweled with a stud on each end and I only use Toyota factory parts.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:58 PM

hi guys
boy this this make me nervose becuase i have to change my timing belt soon too the one on it now was changed at 299 000km my t00 v6 3.slow gots 404 000 plus on it now
how hard is it to do this ?
the dealer want to shag my ass for this job at 450 bucks
i been taken be fore but cant afford to have that again
so what am i to real look out for ?
thanks

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 04-08-2012 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Review the forum rules
Old 04-07-2012, 05:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
James, if not disabling the fuel injectors were the problem, wouldn't he have consistently low compression on both sides? It just might be that the pass. side bank is off on the timing to allow the low compression. Just saying if the conditions were equal for each test, then there is something else causing the issue.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:21 AM

Worked on it last night took the exh manifold off now the only thing left is to pull the cam pulleys and the timing cover backing, decided that i'm this far into it im going to pull the heads have them checked or rebuilt and new headgaskets. The cam gear was lined up properly, looks like it may need exhaust valves i need to pick up a leakdown tester before I pull the heads autozone didn't have one gotta run by oriellys or china freight
Old 04-08-2012, 09:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wii_tarded
James, if not disabling the fuel injectors were the problem, wouldn't he have consistently low compression on both sides? It just might be that the pass. side bank is off on the timing to allow the low compression. Just saying if the conditions were equal for each test, then there is something else causing the issue.
I wasn't trying to say that it is the problem, I said it wouldn't make that big of a difference but to keep it in mind for next time because it will give false readings.
And if he tested the drivers side first and then the passenger side, it would have washed out the cylinders more on the passenger side, but like I said I don't think it is the problem.

Last edited by James Woods; 04-08-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:08 PM

picked up leak down tester today and just got done checking it, holds no pressure 100 leaking unless i'm doing it wrong. i hooked it up to my compressor with the air set at 60 psi, hooked up the gauge and turned the gauge on the input showed about 20 psi and it said to turn until gauge read SET, well I did that and the air kept flowing in, not holding anything in any of the 3 cyl with the low compression. I turned the cam and the air would rush out the exh valve and then stop as it closed same as the intake then when both where closed the air just kept going somewhere checked the dipstick didn't hear it there sounds like maybe at the headgasket. looks like i'm pulling it.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Crazy.. Ya sounds like you did it right. From what your saying I'm thinking id pull it at this point also. Sorry to here that. Guess it could be leaking thru the HG but still seems weird that all 3 cyl would be doing that.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:19 PM

so guys whats the best headgaskets to get?
Old 04-10-2012, 03:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OEM from the Toyota dealer. Use one of the online Toyota dealers for the best price. There are two in my sig.

You also need other gaskets and it may be cheaper to buy the engine rebuild gasket kit vs. the individual gaskets.

Last edited by rworegon; 04-11-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:39 PM

ok, so i'm doing the same job- i just about wrapped it all up- 22re.

I followed the Chilton EXACTLY and cross-referenced it with a packet from my Brother's automotive school, Universal Technical Institute. I also used several really helpful threads from this forum.

Now, when I was about to reinstall the timing sprocket both manuals say to rotate the camshaft so that the pin is on the top. Then, while manually holding the chain and sprocket to create tension on the chain, rotate the motor to meet the female part on the sprocket with the cam pin.

Ok, so it's all cherry- I did that. But when I mated the sprocket and cam, my original chalk marks on the sprocket and chain that indicated TDC before I pulled it all apart were 180 degrees off.... as in upside down.... but cylinders 1 and 4 are definitely at TDC, and the timing mark on the crankshaft pully is at 0 degress- a perfect match.

I'm just wondering if in fact this is normal or a major problem, and or how would I remedy this?

I'm scratching my head like "shoots, how in the world did this happen?"

thank you all so much- this is an incredibly helpful forum.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It doesn't matter. All that matters is that the cams are on their marks as well as the crank. Doesn't matter if you rotate the crank 4 times then the cams 3 times, line them all back up and it should be good unless theirs other problems.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Any updates on the original post?
Old 04-24-2012, 03:59 PM

Cams off 100 degrees or so. Spin the cam and redo the compression test.

Quick Reply: 4runner nightmare 30 psi comp on 1,3,5