Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

4Runner kaput

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4Runner kaput

I’m pretty sure my engine is on its way out. Has been overheating, all cooling system components have been replaced (water pump, fan clutch, radiator and multiple thermostats), leaving only internal issues. The only way to keep it running without overheating is with the thermostat removed. I don’t know how long I can do that, but I guess I'll be finding out.

Lengthy history:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...s-down-122042/
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-gurus-123343/

So, I’ve been pricing up engines and it ain’t pretty.

Jasper quotes $3,648 plus $350 for an install kit, and my mechanic quotes $2,100 for labor to install, for a total of $6,100. ATK (formerly Orient) quotes $2,749 for the engine. That's a lot of bread for a truck worth at most $5K.

I think I’m screwed. Either I replace the engine or I sell it as is with a disclaimer. And then I have to find a replacement vehicle. And I thought I was going to drive this one to at least 200K, especially after having the head gasket done last year.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:35 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Oooo....that bites. Sorry to hear it. Nice rig, too. I remember all those threads.

TNRabbit didn't have succes with his extensive rebuild, either. Blown HG. And, you know tc and Lysmachia.....pffft....blown HG. I hope my rebuild (3.0) lasts long enough I have the money to swap it out for the 3.4, if it should fail. Fingers crossed.

So, what is it you're leaning towards? Selling or new motor? Another good vehicle will probably run you as much as a swap would....maybe.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:16 PM

You can get a longblock from LCE for $1900

http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...4-AB505B830100

I also have a ticking time bomb under the hood, hopefully it will last till I can afford to do something about it.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by thook
So, what is it you're leaning towards? Selling or new motor? Another good vehicle will probably run you as much as a swap would....maybe.
I figure if I put a new engine in, the only thing ("only?") that could go wrong would be the transmission, which is original. Like I said, the entire cooling system is new, tires are only a few months old, just spent a small fortune on brakes...A/C works great (when the engine isn't overheating). Everything works and I have a nice sound system. And other than a little rust on the bottom inside of the front doors, this is one nice looking older Runner. So the question is, what could I buy for $6K plus whatever I would get for this one? I need the space for my dogs, so a pickup is out. I would probably move up to a 3rd gen 4Runner, IF I could find one without excessive miles on it for a decent price. But the last thing I want to do is go far into debt over a vehicle right now. The only good thing is that I have another driver -- a company vehicle -- that I can use, so I don't have to rush into anything.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by toyotatom93
You can get a longblock from LCE for $1900

http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...4-AB505B830100

I also have a ticking time bomb under the hood, hopefully it will last till I can afford to do something about it.
Thanks, but that's the 4-banger.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would seriously sell it for cheap and wait it out till you get a nice 3rd gen. Prices are dropping majorly and for an extra $ you will get a better engine, more power, same to better MPGs, better t-case, more creature comforts, maybe an e-locker.... etc etc etc.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:58 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Call a junkyard and get one and rebuild it. That will cost way less, maybe 1500 total for the engine and rebuild kit and at least 500+ to install. Thats maybe 3k at best?
Old 06-26-2008, 03:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CJM
Call a junkyard and get one and rebuild it. That will cost way less, maybe 1500 total for the engine and rebuild kit and at least 500+ to install. Thats maybe 3k at best?
I don't have the time or knowledge to rebuild and replace an engine, and my mechanic so far has only found one nearby used 3.0 and they want a fortune for it, close to a reman price and with zero warranty.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:25 AM

I would seriously sell it for cheap and wait it out till you get a nice 3rd gen. Prices are dropping majorly and for an extra $ you will get a better engine, more power, same to better MPGs, better t-case, more creature comforts, maybe an e-locker.... etc etc etc.
If you can't afford someone to change the motor for you, and aren't comfortable with doing the swap yourself, then this is good advice. If you aren't that attached to the truck, there's ALWAYS a good deal out there on a rig, someone selling for less than what they have in it. Sell your truck to someone that is into Yotas, that CAN and wants to do the swap, and find a nice new rig with the 3.4.

With things getting tight lately, I'd say keep an eye out for someone with a nice rig and needing cash. I saw a pretty sweet one owner LandCruiser the other day for $6k. A 3.4 runner would get better mileage though.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:34 AM
Contributing Member

Reprieve?

Originally Posted by Yopar
If you can't afford someone to change the motor for you, and aren't comfortable with doing the swap yourself, then this is good advice. If you aren't that attached to the truck, there's ALWAYS a good deal out there on a rig, someone selling for less than what they have in it. Sell your truck to someone that is into Yotas, that CAN and wants to do the swap, and find a nice new rig with the 3.4.

With things getting tight lately, I'd say keep an eye out for someone with a nice rig and needing cash. I saw a pretty sweet one owner LandCruiser the other day for $6k. A 3.4 runner would get better mileage though.
I'm going to try to accumulate some cash and keep an eye on the local classifieds, craigslist, etc. I saw a potential candidate, a 2000 Runner on a used car lot, but I'm leary of used car lot offerings.

BTW, after discussing the engine's issues with my mechanic, he told me that he had removed the thermostat just to see what would happen, and that it had run fine for him, temperature gauge never went beyond halfway. I've driven over 100 miles since then with no temp issues. It comes up to operating temp a little slower, but other than that it's doing fine. But we know that exhaust gases are getting into the cooling system, so it isn't "fixed," it's just kinda rigged. I'm wondering how long I can get by like this? I guess it's a crapshoot. Living on borrowed time. But it sure was great driving it home last night and back to work this morning!
Old 06-27-2008, 05:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Time for 3.4
Old 06-27-2008, 07:25 AM
Contributing Member

time for BJ diesel swap or new vehicle
Old 06-27-2008, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member

3.4? Diesel? Sounds great!
But for a lack of mechanical ability and time, there go I.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:58 AM
Contributing Member

then why not invest in say, a petrol LC Prado? they sell them here, i dont think there are any illegal items on the vehicle that would be rejected by the usa laws.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Belize Off Road Team
then why not invest in say, a petrol LC Prado? they sell them here, i dont think there are any illegal items on the vehicle that would be rejected by the usa laws.
I was joking. If I had the money to do that I'd just buy another 4Runner, which is what I'll ultimately do.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:21 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Here's an idea.....

A buddy of mine found a 2003 Taco w/crew cab, low miles, 3.4, e-locker, etc. at a lot that had suffered some hail damage after a big storm Ark. had about 2 months ago. The dealer knocked $6k off the tag because of the minor....really....body damage. So, he got it for right around $10k. I'm not saying find one at a used lot or for that much, but start looking for storm damage, auctions, and the like. Also, I see people getting rid of their trucks and SUV's in favor of more gas friendly pass. cars. I saw a 3rd gen 4rnr, forest green go for around $6k from a used lot 2wks ago. And, it was spotless...ran great.

Good luck!
Old 06-27-2008, 12:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah...I found my 94 with 200k for $600....I ahd to put about $300 into it...but it runs great, I have put over 2500 miles on it so far with no problem.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:34 PM

there should be a lot of flood 4runners and trucks popping up at auctions soon with all of the flooding I bet you could find a motor cheap look on craigslist in the city's that had bad flooding I have seen lots of cars and trucks for 400$ to 700$.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:50 PM
Contributing Member

Yeap, Matt is right. I have seen some wicked deals on some 3rd gens lately over this gas craze. To save what? 5-8 MPGs?
Old 06-27-2008, 12:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ha...my $600 94, actually saved me 6-8 mpg.... my 93 get between 14-17mpg depending on its mood that day, my $600 94 get between 20-25 depending on my driving.

Quick Reply: 4Runner kaput