Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4runner catback system interest?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 10:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
4runner catback system interest?

We now have the opportunity to have a catback system made for us in our preference. But before we do I want to see if there is any interest in it and get some feedback from you guys.

The system will be made out of 2.25" mandrel bent aluminized tubing and will bolt directly on to your factory cat. There will not be a tip on the tailpipe and it will exit in the factory location. It will be for the 86-95 rigs in both the motor applications(22re and 3vze). The muffler will be your choice of the standard sized 14" body muffler(flowmaster, magnaflow, hooker, flowtech). All hangers and gaskets will be included.

Naturally the price will vary depending on which muffler you choose. For a rough estimate we will try to keep it around the $125-$150 price range for a standard original 40 series muffler or magnaflow muffler.

So is there any interest in seeing this system? Or any suggestions?
Old 09-07-2007, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm interested
Old 09-07-2007, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would be interested in a magnaflow version what do you think shipping something like that would cost?
Old 09-07-2007, 11:23 AM
Contributing Member

Shipping will probably be about $25 to the 49 states. I won't be positive on it until we get the system measured to get some boxes made for it.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:45 AM

Interested. Any soundclips with those different mufflers?
Old 09-07-2007, 02:15 PM

add me to the interested list
Old 09-07-2007, 02:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hit me up. how easy is it to put these on? can i get a muffler shop to weld one on?
Old 09-07-2007, 07:36 PM

I would be interested also.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:51 PM

I recommend you offer it with a Borla Turbo Muffler - there are 3 versions of them in 2 1/4" (go to the Borla website) - the cheapest one will work and it sounds very good. Just like stock but deeper, and mellower (usually 14" mufflers are louder, this one isn't obnoxious or loud). It also flows very well and you can get the Borla name as well (not that name is everything but...)

I recommend when you exit the exhaust, that you flare it out or "expand it" for the last 3 inches or so, as it looks like the stock exhausts that way and I think that little expanded section for the tip that Toyota uses on their stock exhausts looks better than just a boring straight pipe out (and you said you didn't want to offer a tip - so at least something somewhat aesthetically pleasing).

I also recommend you reference the Borla catback write up that UK Meyers did in the performance section of this site for some ideas for how to route the exhaust. Believe me, I have the Borla exhaust on my truck and they did an excellent job lining up hangers, and keeping the clearances the same as stock.

I'm not sure if you're going to ship a one piece all welded exhaust - this would make things more clear cut for the user/installer and exactly like the stock all welded system, or ship it into pieces that fit into each other with U clamps - but either would work fine. The one that is in pieces isn't too difficult to install, just a few wrenches.

Also, for those who are installing these, make sure you take a grinder to your cat flange to smooth it out after you remove your stock old system.

Have you considered offering it in 409 stainless steel pipe? 409 stainless is to my knowledge only about 60 percent the cost of 304 stainless, but will last longer than aluminized steel.

Offer the exhaust with stainless steel bolts to mount it to the cat. I put stainless bolts on mine when I installed it several monthtes ago and they still look new, and turnable.

Last but not least, and this is an important one - The stock exhaust system on 3.4 5vzfe equipped Tacoma's & 4runners is 2 1/4" pressure bent if I'm not mistaken (look into this I'm pretty sure that's the size). A 2 1/4" Mandrel bent system would work VERY well for guys looking for an exhaust to use for 3.4 swaps. I know lots of guys who would appreciate an exhaust like this.

I also suggest you might want to contact Offroad solutions and maybe you could set something up with them to develop a specific 2 1/4" exhaust for guys doing the 3.4 swap. I know lots of guys go with 2 1/2" pressure bent on their 3.4 swaps but a 2 1/4" mandrel bent system would be light years ahead. Especially if you could develop a fully exhaust that would include a pipe from the Offroad solutions custom crossover, to the cat, include the cat, and then the mandrel bent system. Just something to think about....
Old 09-07-2007, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Victor
Interested. Any soundclips with those different mufflers?
There are some sound clips from some of the mufflers floating around somewhere on the board. Do a search and I am sure you can find it rather easily. I believe it is linked to coreys website.

Originally Posted by infiltrator
hit me up. how easy is it to put these on? can i get a muffler shop to weld one on?
You could have it welded on but there really is not any need to do so. Its a simple bolt on install.

Originally Posted by CoedNaked
I recommend you offer it with a Borla Turbo Muffler - there are 3 versions of them in 2 1/4" (go to the Borla website) - the cheapest one will work and it sounds very good. Just like stock but deeper, and mellower (usually 14" mufflers are louder, this one isn't obnoxious or loud). It also flows very well and you can get the Borla name as well (not that name is everything but...)
First of all. Thanks for your input. The borla mufflers we do not carry. We will be piecing these systems together by each order so if it is a borla muffler that someone wants than we can definitely just sell the rest of the system so the end user can broaden their muffler choices from other sources.

We do however have other turbo mufflers that IMO are just as good as the borla muffler.

I recommend when you exit the exhaust, that you flare it out or "expand it" for the last 3 inches or so, as it looks like the stock exhausts that way and I think that little expanded section for the tip that Toyota uses on their stock exhausts looks better than just a boring straight pipe out (and you said you didn't want to offer a tip - so at least something somewhat aesthetically pleasing).
There are so many tip variations that it is simplest to go without a tip and let the buyer have a tip added at their local muffler shop if they want to. Or there are even clamp on tips that the user could add if they wanted to.

I also recommend you reference the Borla catback write up that UK Meyers did in the performance section of this site for some ideas for how to route the exhaust. Believe me, I have the Borla exhaust on my truck and they did an excellent job lining up hangers, and keeping the clearances the same as stock.
We'll make sure of it. And just for the record.. we are not bending the pipes ourselves. One of our manufacturers is doing it for us. They have been making exhaust systems for over 40 years. They have specially made several other kits(similar to this one) for us and we have never had a complaint about fitment.

I'm not sure if you're going to ship a one piece all welded exhaust - this would make things more clear cut for the user/installer and exactly like the stock all welded system, or ship it into pieces that fit into each other with U clamps - but either would work fine. The one that is in pieces isn't too difficult to install, just a few wrenches.
It will be coming in three main pieces. The tailpipe the muffler and the intermediate pipe. Pretty easy install. The muffler will be clamped onto both the intermediate pipe and the tail pipe using muffler clamps.

Have you considered offering it in 409 stainless steel pipe? 409 stainless is to my knowledge only about 60 percent the cost of 304 stainless, but will last longer than aluminized steel.
This is something that could be done very easily and we will consider it later on down the road assuming there is enough interest. Aluminized however should last a good while as well. I'm not sure how long exhaust systems are lasting for you guys in Canada but aluminized tubing is definitely being made better and lasting longer than it used to.

Offer the exhaust with stainless steel bolts to mount it to the cat. I put stainless bolts on mine when I installed it several monthtes ago and they still look new, and turnable.
All the hardware included will be either stainless steel or zinc plated. Noone hates trying to get a rusty bolt loose more than me. haha.

Last but not least, and this is an important one - The stock exhaust system on 3.4 5vzfe equipped Tacoma's & 4runners is 2 1/4" pressure bent if I'm not mistaken (look into this I'm pretty sure that's the size). A 2 1/4" Mandrel bent system would work VERY well for guys looking for an exhaust to use for 3.4 swaps. I know lots of guys who would appreciate an exhaust like this.

I also suggest you might want to contact Offroad solutions and maybe you could set something up with them to develop a specific 2 1/4" exhaust for guys doing the 3.4 swap. I know lots of guys go with 2 1/2" pressure bent on their 3.4 swaps but a 2 1/4" mandrel bent system would be light years ahead. Especially if you could develop a fully exhaust that would include a pipe from the Offroad solutions custom crossover, to the cat, include the cat, and then the mandrel bent system. Just something to think about....
I do not see this happening, at least not anytime in the near future. The market is just not big enough at the moment. If ORS wants someone to start manufacturing these for them then I will be glad to point them in the right direction but there is a lot of R&D needed before that system would take place.

Once again. Thank you for your input.

This is still months away before we will have anything to show for it but keep the interests coming so I can get the ok to put it together.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:58 PM

Cootees -A few other points:

1) About me mentioning the 3.4 swap idea for your exhaust - you can still market your mandrel bent 2 1/4" exhaust system to 3.4 swappers as it will work, at least from the cat back. A 2 1/4" mandrel bent system is in my mind the perfect exhaust for guys running N/A 3.4's. Lots of guys say you don't really see benefits of the volume and flow of 2 1/2 (which is a common aftermarket mandrel bent size for aftermarket catback's for the 3.4) until you go S/C which most don't in swaps. Also, my point about a pipe from the custom crossover that ORS makes, to a cat, is the only real thing you would have to R & D, plus including a good cat with it to add to your already built for 3vze and 22 RE's 2 1/4" exhausts. But if there is money to be made, and there is demand
it's just a suggestion I guess?

2) Won't you have to weld hangers onto the muffler itself to work with the stock hangers on the 4runner? On the Pickups you would (or should, unless you put the muffler farther forward and weld the hangers onto the pipe downstream of the muffler).

3) I live in Vancouver Canada, which doesn't experience the harsh winters that the rest of Canada does. The joke is that Canada starts 2 hours east of Vancouver (i.e. harsh-er winters). WE get the odd dump of snow in the winter and a few cold snaps but those are definately the exception to the rule. As a result we don't generally see salt caked roads or have as much of issues with rust as the rest of the rust belt does. I was just saying offer it in 409 stainless steel because it is a nice trade off compared to aluminized steel but still not priced as highly as 304. I would imagine considering the small footage you will be using per exhaust system (what, maybe 5-8 feet of pipe period?), it wouldn't be much more to go with 409 over aluminized. I also know some other aftermarket exhaust manufacturers on their "lesser" kits are offering 409stainless now a days. Also, don't be like my local shop which has taken the time to purchase a mandrel bender, but apparnetly uses mild steel hangers on their 304 S/S custom exhaust systems and they also neglected to buy 2 1/4" dies. There are lots of customers who live in the rust belt though and I'm not talking Canada.

4) Zinc plated i.e. galvanized is still crap compared to stainless. If you sent me zinc plated I would just throw it out and go out and get stainless. Just being honest.

5) I don't see why it is such a big deal to flare out the end/tip of the exhaust? If a guy wants a tip, like you said, he can take it into his exhaust shop, have this piece cut off and replaced with a welded on or clamped on factory tip. Otherwise a flared out tip for about 3" will have a stock look to it and it looks better than a sorry arse straight pipe coming out. It's one of those little details that I think honestly makes a difference. I think you can tell I'm a pretty detail oriented individual.

6) My Borla system came with 4 pieces. The piece from the cat to the upturn which was universal with a O2 sensor bung (for the odd 3vze or 22RE that is equipped with O2 sensors after the cat) and a plate for this O2 sensor if you don't have one downstream of the cat. This piece is also a bit longer so you can cut it to fit. The second piece is just an up turn offset to bring the 1st piece up to the muffler and clear being lower than the rest of the truck/undercarriage. Then the muffler itself which has 2 welded hangers on it to fit into the stock hangers, and then the tail piece with tip and the last hanger near the tip. Interestingly enough, Borla elected to go with 2" mandrel bent pipe and muffler over 2 1/4" in their mandrel bent system. And I will say the torque improvement is noticeable. The torque comes on about 300 RPM's earlier, and the engine runs and accelerates much more smoothly compared to the stock exhaust.

7) Just some food for thought for you. While this is more of an exotic size- I will say this now, and I'll say it again - the best exhaust pipe size for the 22RE and the 3vze is 2 1/8". Yes it's more $$$ to buy the pipe because it's more rare than 2" and 2 1/4", and no one makes a 2 1/8" muffler (although I'd imagine 2 1/8" would fit into and weld nicely into a 2 1/4" muffler), but I bet you this would be the optimal size. And people in here will groan about myself splitting hairs with 1/8" in exhaust pipe sizing difference, but believe me, when you're talking exhaust pipe sizing, 1/8" makes a difference in flow and volume. For example, the stock pipes on 3vze's are 2 1/8" pressure bent which are roughly 1 7/8" at the bends. I have a 2" mandrel bent system on my truck which is obviously 2" at the bends. So the combination of a higher flowing Borla muffler and 2" mandrel bent pipes have given me a performance improvement.

8) Have you considered making a mandrel bent pipe for 22RE's and 3vze's from the exhaust manifold to the cat to give people a full mandrel bent system?

Last edited by CoedNaked; 09-07-2007 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:13 AM

I would be diff interested also
Old 09-08-2007, 04:43 PM

a catback sys works well on the 22r as well i made one for my truck
Old 09-08-2007, 09:07 PM

im interested as well