Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3vze - WHY does the coolant go through the throttle body please ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 08:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh, while we're here - does anyone know what part of this controls the high idle at start up ? Truck just started NOT high idling at start. Is that also a main function of the TPS sensor, or would there have been another vacuum / intake hose fracture air-leak ?
Old 03-27-2019, 10:18 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by amamike91

Originally Posted by Erich Stein
Oh, while we're here - does anyone know what part of this controls the high idle at start up ? Truck just started NOT high idling at start. Is that also a main function of the TPS sensor, or would there have been another vacuum / intake hose fracture air-leak ?
Is it cold
Old 03-27-2019, 11:43 AM

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by old87yota
Yep, this ^^.

Toyota wouldn't have spent the time, and especially money on designing coolant passages through the throttle body if it was not needed.

What problems are you having?

Yes there are too many hoses on 22RE but I'm not going to second guess Toyotas engineers.
Its safe to assume the coolant passage through throttle body is metal. On 1998 GM 3.8 its plastic and prone to failure and when it fails cylinders fill with coolant and ultimately destroy engine,,,
Old 03-27-2019, 11:44 AM

Well, I found my PROBLEM! After I reassemble entire throttle body that was detail cleaned and re-calibrated and replacing every air hose and sealing every leak - problem still exist. I look in air-box to find the actual FLAP is SEIZED! Argh. I haven't dismantled this yet to see what failed yet. Can't find a replace at any LOCAL auto salvage yard YET. Real drag, now I guess I have to study the manual again - sanitize the whole thing and re-calibrate THIS too.

Filthy seized air flow sensor
Old 03-27-2019, 11:48 AM

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Erich Stein
Well, I found my PROBLEM! After I reassemble entire throttle body that was detail cleaned and re-calibrated and replacing every air hose and sealing every leak - problem still exist. I look in air-box to find the actual FLAP is SEIZED! Argh. I haven't dismantled this yet to see what failed yet. Can't find a replace at any LOCAL auto salvage yard YET. Real drag, now I guess I have to study the manual again - sanitize the whole thing and re-calibrate THIS too.

Filthy seized air flow sensor
I read recently those are not serviceable but your research may prove me wrong. Keep us posted. Good Luck
Old 03-27-2019, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by jazz1
I read recently those are not serviceable but your research may prove me wrong. Keep us posted. Good Luck
I can fix this sensor with time consuming precise sanitizing. This is possible for me to re-create the circuitry from a potentiometer. It would be nice to have one sitting here to compare readings to. I think I can get what I need from the FSM.

The under-side of this has about 20 screws, with what looks like epoxy seal around it. I fear I will have to deal with ANOTHER broken bolt if I attempt to dismantle the housing. The shaft is SIZED in there somehow, something must have got jammed in it. I can't see or tell the condition of the bearing or whatever else is there.
The following users liked this post:
ev13wt (03-27-2019)