Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3vze Timing help

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3vze Timing help

Having trouble with a new motor i just installed. I have the timing mark on the crank set to 0 degrees, but i have to have the rotor pointed to about the 2 o'clock position to get it to run correctly. When i start it and run it the timing mark is way off and can't even see it when its running. The mark seems to be almost 100 degrees off. i have pulled the distributer and move it a tooth in either direction but it runs worse. I do have the the te1 jumped. It runs and idles just fine like this but obviously can't check the timing correctly. Could the harmonic balancer have slipped or is the timing belt installed incorrectly? I plan on check that tomorrow but didn't want to tear into it again. Tried searching but haven't found a post that has my specific problems. thanks
Old 07-29-2017, 11:18 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...t-help-296455/ -- if you want to verify timing belt installed right...

If the balancer is loose and not torqued to spec, it can, so just re-check the torque. From what I know, the marks on the crank and cams need to line up with each other and the rotor pointed at TDC. Maybe the belt isn't tensioned all the way? What timing mark are you referring to that seems off several degrees?

Hopefully someone else can chime in with the specifics. I've done belts on a couple other engines, so I wish I can add more details.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:19 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
The harmonic balancer can't "slip" (it's keyed to the crankshaft), but it can tear. It's composed of a three parts; the part on the crankshaft, a metal ring with the timing marks and pulley grooves, sandwiching a annular rubber ring. As surprising as it sounds, that annular ring can tear so that the outer ring no longer aligns with the part on the crankshaft.

You can check this by removing a spark plug, and using a plastic straw to feel when the piston is at TDC. (You'll want to do this on one of 2-4-6 as those are the spark plugs you can reasonably reach with the plenum on, and off the top of my head I don't know which one is at TDC when #1 is at TDC. Maybe someone else knows.) Or you can remove the upper timing cover to see if the two cam sprockets are pointing up when the harmonic balancer says TDC. (I'll wager your timing belt is installed correctly, since it seems to run okay.)