86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3Vze Injector Plugs Crumbling to Pieces

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 12:11 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
3Vze Injector Plugs Crumbling to Pieces

Yesterday I began disassembling a 1994 3vze 3.0 V6 engine that I bought as a CORE for $75 a number of years ago. The wrecking yard that sold it to me said that the vehicle came to them because the engine needed a head gasket (no surprise there). It was stated that the engine had around 170,000 miles on it. I have the engine on a stand and I am starting at the top and working my way down with the goal of getting the heads off to see what kind of condition they are in, to check the condition of the block decks/cylinder head mating surfaces, and to check the condition of the cylinder bores. After that, I will pull the oil pan and check out the bearings. So far, I managed to get the upper manifold off and was able to strip off the remains of the wiring harness, which the wrecking yard cut just outboard of the passenger side cylinder head. I noticed that the plastic enclosure for the wiring harness branches that run alongside the injectors on both the left and right cylinder heads had crumbled or was ready to crumble at the first touch. When I attempted to remove the wiring plugs from the injectors, I found the retaining clips breaking off on five out of the six. Luckily, this is not the harness I intend to use. Strangely enough, my 1993 harness is much less crispy than this '94, which I guess could be explained by the fact that the 93 has about 60,000 less miles on it. Even so, it has at least one injector plug that has a broken retaining clip, so I was thinking I might as well replace all the injector plugs while I am at it. Having very little experience with OEM connectors, I searched on these forums for some information about techniques and suppliers. I did not find anything helpful, but when I searched with Google I was directed back to yotatech to this post:

Replacing old fuel injector connectors with new connectors, terminals, and seals 3VZE
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f128...s-3vze-218912/

The post is eight years old, but it has the information I was looking for and the important links are still working. I was not able to join the thread, which only had a single post by the original poster, but I did get the information I needed regarding where to buy the plugs and how to install them.

Thanks again, yotatech.

Last edited by wrenchtech; 07-23-2018 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:16 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I believe that was me.......My first and only tech write up. Wish the pics were still there but I think they were hosted on photo bucket so no longer available.

The crimper is the most vital part.

Also somewhere here on yotatech i can remember someone posting the part # for the OEM connectors.

Scope posted this link sometime back and maybe a tad cheaper http://www.ebay.com/itm/400824432983...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

cheers

Last edited by Andy A; 07-23-2018 at 02:44 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:14 AM

Received 825 Likes on 652 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy A
... The crimper is the most vital part. ...
You CAN get these connectors with pig-tails; the idea is that you solder the wires together or use hardware-store straight crimps. Not only is this very cheesy, it's just as much (if not more) work than putting on new connectors. You can clip off the old ones right at the wire crimp; this shortens the wire by only 3-6mm, and you have enough slack for that.

The crimper you need looks something like this:
Amazon Amazon
This will make the "B" shape described by AndyA. DON'T try to do this with your standard hardware-store crimper; it will just smash the small connector pin.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Andy A
I believe that was me.......My first and only tech write up. Wish the pics were still there but I think they were hosted on photo bucket so no longer available.

The crimper is the most vital part.

Also somewhere here on yotatech i can remember someone posting the part # for the OEM connectors.

Scope posted this link sometime back and maybe a tad cheaper http://www.ebay.com/itm/400824432983...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

cheers

Again, yotatech to the rescue! The price in the eBay auction is half the price of the parts in the link that you provided earlier. I am always up for Learning new skills related to Toyota 4 x 4 repairs, upgrades and modifications. It will be my first time replacing some factory terminals by disassembling them. In fact, I've already ordered the parts and the crimping tool.

Last edited by wrenchtech; 07-23-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:38 AM

I broke the first connector trying to figure out how to take it apart. It turned out one of the tabs on the pin was actually bent out of position and hanging up on the connector body. But once I knew how it worked the next two were pretty easy. A paperclip and a very small straight bladed, precision screwdriver, where the right tools for the job

SaveSave
Old 07-23-2018, 10:14 AM

Received 825 Likes on 652 Posts
Rebuild these one at a time. I'm 99% sure that there is no polarity to the injector connection, but it's always easiest to have one untouched connector to look at.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pretty common in general. When my TT supra was ten years old (100k) at least half of them crumbled. EZ fix.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:00 AM

Not to worry, I had the same thought myself. The harness in the picture is not the one I intend to rebuild. It is the one that the salvage yard cut. I try to operate like that as much as I can. Before I started to rebuild this engine I studied Toyota FSM pretty thoroughly and I took two junk 3vze engines apart, saving parts that I thought might make good spares and familiarizing myself with them along the way. I used to have an almost perfect memory for this stuff, taking complex things apart and putting them back together again without any pictures, notes or much use of manuals. As I get older I find I have adopted the opposite approach, choosing instead to be over-prepared. Of course, when I was young, I might've imagined that I was doing better work than I actually was.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by mkivbren
Pretty common in general. When my TT supra was ten years old (100k) at least half of them crumbled. EZ fix.
Owning a vehicle with a Toyota turbo in-line six is one of those things that I hope to do sooner rather than later. I imagine it looking like this though:

...but, I digress.

Last edited by wrenchtech; 07-23-2018 at 11:14 AM.