86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3VZE Fan Shroud

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 10:56 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
3VZE Fan Shroud

Does anyone here run without their fan shroud on the 3VZE?

The reason I ask is mine is broken and I'm disinclined to replace it. Motor Trend channel did a test of different types of fans to see how much horsepower they used. Of course the clutch type fan was the best; used the least horsepower, but they also tested removing the fan shroud. That increased available horsepower also. I'm all for gaining little bits of hp everywhere I can.

I can see that in worse case scenarios, like stuck in heavy traffic on a hot day with the AC on you'd want that fan shroud pulling every bit of air through the radiator. But I live in the temperate Pacific Northwest and I don't drive in traffic.

What do you think?
Old 05-03-2017, 02:21 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Probably be fine in moderate temps and running mostly at speed.

Monitor your temps closely, and if it doesn't work out, you can get another shroud.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:56 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
I would personally get a new (used) fan shroud.

I don't think it is worth risking the possibility of overheating for the 1/2 horsepower gain you might get.

It is your call though.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine has never had a shroud. No idea why, but when it was purchased used, it didn't have one.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:35 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by old87yota
I would personally get a new (used) fan shroud.

I don't think it is worth risking the possibility of overheating for the 1/2 horsepower gain you might get.

It is your call though.

Well, the gain was about 8 hp on an 18 inch fan. Our fan is about 17 inches so let's say 7 hp is possible. That is not insignificant on the 3VZE.

In the 15 years I've owned my truck it has never gotten hot even going up steep grades in 100 degrees plus temperatures. What I have read is that if you are going at least 35 mph the fan is not really necessary. I wouldn't bet the farm on that statement but we aren't talking about eliminating the fan; just the shroud.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:20 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Mak914rnr ran without a fan shroud here in CA and was constantly plagued by overheating problems and finally popped a head gasket. dont take the risk. if you dont want to run a shroud, get rid of the fan altogether and go electric. aint worth a grand in repairs on the off chance you damage something.