Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3vz bogging down under load with whistle

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright, I just replaced the gasket for the egr valve and still the same sound. Thinking back the valve gaskets and air manifold gasket are all only 6 months old. I grabbed some other people to try finding where this leak is coming from and the consensus is that its coming from the as reed valve or pair reed valve what ever its called.

So, now I am trying to remove it so I can visually inspect it but its not easy to get to. I have two bolts removed that I thought were holding it in place and the two nuts off from the exhaust connection but its still not budging. Does anyone know how many connections are holding this thing on? I am wondering if I have to remove the air manifold to remove this reed valve? Also, if I remove the air manifold do I have to replace the gasket also? That thing is $60 at the local auto parts store so I am hoping that I dont but I do know better then to leave a gasket on.

When I start the truck there is some water coming from the reed valve that I am assuming is condensation. The sound has now progressed to a constant hissing and still the high pitched sound so there is definitely a vacuum leak.

I have done an exhaustive search of this but nobody follows up on their original posts so there are lots of people asking how to remove this thing but no follow up after. Any help is great help here. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:58 PM

I just finished putting my motor back together a couple weeks ago, so I know there is just 2 bolts connecting it to the head and 2 on the manifold. There is one good sized short hose coming off the intake and one vacuum line, that should be it, you can get it off without removing your intake, take a good look at that big hose going to it, maybe it split when the intake was reassembled last time.
Did you have alot of carbon build-up on your EGR tube going into the plenium?

Last edited by TiCain; 03-30-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:04 PM

Thanks for the quick response!

There was some carbon build up on the the base of the tube. So the part closest to the gasket. I cleaned that up and and put it back together there was however a ton of carbon buildup inside the manifold. I got as much as I could out through the small hole.

As for he bolts, I must have the wrong ones out. I have the one easily seen looking down at the engine but the one closer to the firewall is really difficult to get to. There is that bracket sharing the same bolt there, I believe. I have yanked on the assembly but that thing right now is solid on there. Maybe I have the wrong bolt out?
Old 03-30-2011, 01:16 PM

Sorry, if yours is a 5spd there is a hydro hose bracket sharing that bolt and it also has one more bolt on this bracket closer to the firewall, you will be free after removing these.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:58 PM

Cool, Thanks, I just got it off. What a difference. I went out there and the sun was perfectly positioned down there and I was able to see the other bolt.

Anyway, Im about to test vacuum on it but it all looks nice inside except there is a bit of water inside. Is that normal or better yet would that cause the noise and bad running. I am drying it out now before I test it.

Thanks again.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:23 PM

I would think you'd get some condensation in there, sense it's coming off the exhaust maifold, did the hose from the intake look o.k.? I'll keep my fingers crossed that you've found the problem.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:12 PM

Alright. I just went out and finally got that small elbow hose off. It turns out that it has a small 1/4 inch crack on the edge running lengthwise. Plus it may have a hole it the hose about half way down it, but I cant tell if it is all the way through.

Boy Im really hoping this is it. I'll keep you updated. Cant get the hose till the morning due to the fact that Im hiking.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:30 PM

When you said you had water coming from your reed valve a few posts ago was this before you started unbolting it, if so that thing should be totally sealed. I can see having some water in it after you took it off though.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:39 PM

ya, I was thinking the same thing. There was some water dripping down off the rectangular piece after I would start the engine and before I started removing it. The seal looks good though. Maybe I should put some sealant on the gasket before I put it back together? What do you think? From what I have read they dont make this part anymore. Before when I would start the engine I noticed water dripping from this. When I opened it up there was condensation throughout the entire insides.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:44 PM

The part you are talking about is where the hose from the intake goes into, right?
Old 03-30-2011, 03:51 PM

yeah, if you go to this page the image has a good picture of it and the red arrow is pointing right at the part that was leaking water.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...d-valve-95842/
Old 03-30-2011, 04:03 PM

Could be water running down from split on your hose, if it has a paper type gasket, I'd get some gasket material and make one. If not, I'd get some permatex high temp red and use that, do this and a new hose and I believe you'll have it beat.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:39 PM

What's the verdict?
Old 04-04-2011, 12:50 PM

So did ya ever get it fixed?
Old 04-11-2011, 08:52 AM

Just replaced all gaskets on exhaust and intake leading egr and reed valve. Also put high temp gasket maker on reed valve and still the noise. So, I'm left thinking that it is most likely the air manifold gasket. The sound now, after getting worse, sounds like its coming from the under the manifold. So, I'm ordering that gasket and valve gaskets. What a pain this has become.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by joehenry
Just replaced all gaskets on exhaust and intake leading egr and reed valve. Also put high temp gasket maker on reed valve and still the noise. So, I'm left thinking that it is most likely the air manifold gasket. The sound now, after getting worse, sounds like its coming from the under the manifold. So, I'm ordering that gasket and valve gaskets. What a pain this has become.
my 2 cents, clean that manifold good and plenty once you have it off, mine was about 2/3rds clogged with 17 yrs of carbon buildup. let us know how she gets better. thanks