Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

33-10.50-15 4Runner (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
33-10.50-15 4Runner (PICS)

Last edited by milowilli; 01-14-2007 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:06 AM

Verra nice. Love the bumper and snorkle too!
Old 01-07-2007, 10:21 AM
Contributing Member

Looks great. What kind of hood scoop is that?
Old 01-07-2007, 11:18 AM

Hood scoop is just to cool the intake manifold...truck runs much better with a cool intake manifold...Ram Air while driving..cool manifold means cool air entering the engine...little bit more efficient. Most modern engines have plastic intakes now for that same reason.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
cool air? in florida?
Old 01-07-2007, 11:31 AM

Well i mean cooler air..the Aluminium intake manifold gets very hot...and it heats up the Florida hot air even hotter...Engines preform better with cooler air entering the cylinders.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:33 AM

You do the snorkle and waterproofing the enigine yourself, or take it somewhere?
Old 01-07-2007, 11:36 AM

I have done everything myself..i have has this vehicle almost up to the top of the winshield in water without no ill effects..I have seen this engine work completely submerged without a sputter.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:45 AM

Wow, thats awesome. Looks very good, props on your work. Did you use any particular helpful sites for doing the snorkel and waterproofing? Cause I've had the hankering do do mine for a LONG time now lol.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:51 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Lift - wheel backspacing - rubbage?
Old 01-07-2007, 11:58 AM

This truck has Sway Away Torsions cranked about an inch over stock the rear has NWOR progressive springs approx 2 inch lift. The tires clear quite well with a little rub on the front mudflaps ( which I have removed) only dropping in a extreme hole with wheels fully turned will you get a little rub. No rub driving on the street. Also running 4.88 gears (axle code G144) from an auto 4x4 replacing my 4.56 (G284) axle code) As for back spacing..Dont know..Just using American Racing 15x8 alloy rims

Last edited by milowilli; 01-07-2007 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:16 PM

No special sites used...nothing much to waterproofing the truck...the 3.0 works quite well soaked.I just put on the snorkel , some dielectric grease on all the connectors and plug leads and but a factory booth over the distributor.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by milowilli
Hood scoop is just to cool the intake manifold...truck runs much better with a cool intake manifold...Ram Air while driving..cool manifold means cool air entering the engine...little bit more efficient. Most modern engines have plastic intakes now for that same reason.
Where did you find the scoop? Looks like a Toyota part... I assume it just funnels the ram air over the intake?
Old 01-07-2007, 01:32 PM

Hood Scoop was purchased on ebay...This model is the best looking one i could find to suit the truck. looks better mounted offset..in fact it has to be to funnel air over the intake manifold. I painted it with auto gloss black paint and put on the Toyota decals As for securing it to the hood i removed the double sided tape and used sillicone to stick it to the hood...much stronger than tape as the air is trying to rip it off the hood. I did not use the grill insert either.
http://stores.ebay.com/Zomk-Speed-Ra...QQftidZ2QQtZkm
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAZDA...rdZ1QQtcZphoto
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...rdZ1QQtcZphoto

Last edited by milowilli; 01-07-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:38 AM

very nice!!

Those are the tires i want to throw on my rig.
That exact size too!!!

10.50s are as wide as id go on a yota.
More weight per square inch = better traction in almost all situations....

That is a very beastly looking second gen man. Nice work
Old 01-08-2007, 09:47 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the hood scoop links!

Originally Posted by mYnAmEiSmUd
10.50s are as wide as id go on a yota.
More weight per square inch = better traction in almost all situations....
:pat:

F = Mu*N
friction = coefficient of friction * normal force (the weight of the truck, roughly, depending on ground angle.).

The area has nothing to do with friction...

However, with a wider tire, you have more of a chance that your tire finds a rough or dry spot that has a higher coefficent of friction, so the wider the tire, the more friction, and when more friction is spread across more area, there is more traction.

However, the narrow tire does offer some advantage with rubbing issues, and avoiding suction if you're in the mud. I'd bet MILOWILLI knows a little about suction, since he drives in water and mud a lot!

Last edited by Injohneer; 01-08-2007 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:19 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Injohneer
F = Mu*N
friction = coefficient of friction * normal force (the weight of the truck, roughly, depending on ground angle.).

The area has nothing to do with friction...

However, with a wider tire, you have more of a chance that your tire finds a rough or dry spot that has a higher coefficent of friction, so the wider the tire, the more friction, and when more friction is spread across more area, there is more traction.

However, the narrow tire does offer some advantage with rubbing issues, and avoiding suction if you're in the mud. I'd bet MILOWILLI knows a little about suction, since he drives in water and mud a lot!
Assuming we're talking about normal circumstances, not totally flotation dependent surfaces such as sand or some kinds of mud:

Well, yes and no. The friction of a rubber tire is HUGELY affected by the ability of the rubber to "key" into the slight imperfections of the surface - this is why soft compound tires have more traction - higher Mu. The ability of the tire to key is directly proportional to the unit pressure. SO a narrower tire will get more of the available traction on any particular surface.

In addition, it is also likely that the wider tire will find a raised area that compromises the ability of the tire to sit flat on the surface, thereby dramatically reducing the friction.

Lastly, for the same amount of lift, you can fit a tall/skinny tire or a short/wide tire. For example, on a second gen, you can fit a 33x10.50 or a 30x12.50. The extra 1.5" of ground clearance is going to do MUCH more for you than the almost negligible traction difference on most surfaces.

If you don't believe me, then here's another article saying the same thing:
http://www.expeditionswest.com/resea...tion_rev1.html
Old 01-08-2007, 11:18 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tc
In addition, it is also likely that the wider tire will find a raised area that compromises the ability of the tire to sit flat on the surface, thereby dramatically reducing the friction.

Not sitting flat -> reduced area, which by your theory, -> greater friction.

I did the suggested reading, and it looks like he indeed put a lot of research into that. But not nearly enough.
Inflation pressure must also be affected before making a generalization that one tire is usually better than another. If you air down the wider tire further, maybe it will flex more and key just as well as the narrow tire. And then, it has a little more surface with which to key.

Another surface he didn't mention is the ice surface - wider tires would distribute the weight and allow a lighter truck to run on thinner ice. But I wouldn't want to test that over deep water with my DD!

But I don't want to , I think I know what you're going after, and here's where we leave book physics behind and you have to really start considering what type of surface you're trying to get traction on.

The wider tire will find more knobs to grab if you're rock climbing, but will find more gravel to sit on top of if you're on gravel. And in sticky mud, it will act like a suction cup and you won't even care worry about traction, just getting popped loose.

The main point is that your optimum tire width, when considered in light of the weight of the vehicle, depends on the surface.

Otherwise we'd all be driving on just 3 wheels

Last edited by Injohneer; 01-08-2007 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:16 PM

What I do notice with tall skinny tires is when you air them down the you get more thread on the ground front to back and each tire acts like a mini tank track..works greatttt. When you air them up there is less rolling resistance too...save the gas. If you ar familiar with the Michelin XL and XZL
not sold in this country , you will notice that they are tall skinny tires. The XL has been designed off the footprint of a camel to float over the sand dunes. They are used extensively in some of the worst terrain the earth can offer...multi steel belts even up the side wall. Most foreign militaries use them on their vehicles. The XL when aired down and with the Camel thread design floats over the sand dunes. You can see them on the Paris Dakar Rally vehicles. I dont know why thery are not sold here in the USA. They are one of the strongest Off-Road tires you can put on a 4X4...here are some pics of the XZL and XL models.
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/michelin/
http://cgi.ebay.com/650-6-50-R16-XL-...QQcmdZViewItem
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/photos5.htm

Last edited by milowilli; 01-08-2007 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:14 PM
Contributing Member

Yummy

Quick Reply: 33-10.50-15 4Runner (PICS)