86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3.slow WONT START!!! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.slow WONT START!!! HELP!

I have an 88 pickup with a 3.0, last i drove it ( november or october) it ran great, but then i parked it and it sat for about two months, i went to drive it, i got it started, a little hard to start but it was low on gas and it was about 2 degrees out and 2 feet of snow. It started and i got it out of the snow bank it wasin and i had it idling for about 20 minutes while i finished scraping all the ice and snow off. Then when i went to leave it sputteres and died like it was out of gas. Now when it sist for about a day it will start and run great for aout 5 minutes and then sputter and die. if i por a little gas in the intake it will start right up. So i assume it is not getting gas. I replaced the fuel filter today, and while the line was off i cranked over the engine and sure enough it is pumping fuel ( up to the filter anyways). i pulled the line off the fuel rail ( drivers side) and cranked it, no fuel. With my understanging of Fuel injected engines, if that gas line is off it should spray fuel out like crazy right? Is there another filter ( besides the one on the frame rail next to the x-fer case) or maybe a solonoid or something im missing? or do you think its just a clogged line? ( the old filter looked pretty clean).
Old 03-10-2009, 08:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If it sat in the cold, I'd be willing to bet you got come condensation in the tank, and maybe even the gas went bad.
I'd pour some denatured alcohol (rubbing alcohol- works pretty well as a solvent too) into the tank, about a pint, and about 5 gallons of gas into the tank and see what happens. At worse, you've got 5 gallons of gas in the tank.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:12 PM

definately not condensation. I hot wired the fuel pump and it would not run, i replaced it but it still wont start. i have no power going back to the pump, and no power at the injectors. I have tested the circuit open relay, the main relay, and the solenoid resistor, as the manual said to check, but everything there seems to check out. any suggestions?
Old 03-18-2009, 02:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Both the EFI Main Relay and the Igniter are fed by the IG2 terminal of the ignition switch. In the case of the efi relay, power goes through the IGN fuse in block to the left of the drivers feet. It looks like the igniter is a direct feed off of IG2, though. Check that the IGN fuse has power when the ignition switch is on. If not, bad ignition switch.

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...87fuelpump.pdf
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...95efimainr.pdf
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b.../9systemci.pdf

Edit: Regarding the igniter, I was thinking in terms of the "firing" of the injectors, which is done by the ecu grounding the injectors, and the timing of that comes from a pulse from the igniter. But it happens that the power to the injectors also comes from the IG2 terminal of the ignition switch, so it sounds like that's your culprit. Either a bad switch or bad connection from the IG2 terminal.

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...86troubles.pdf page EG2–194

Last edited by sb5walker; 03-18-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:58 AM

GOT IT! thats where the problem was, i was not getting any power through the EFI main relay. turned out to be a bad connection!